Different Formats for SOPs/Work Instructions?

Tyranna

Involved In Discussions
I am reviewing my company's SOPs/work instructions and would like to modernize them to be more "user" friendly. By user friendly, I mean going away from standard Word Docs and move toward shorter, more concise documents such as flow charts, video instruction, or similar. Have any of you had success with such methods? If so, can you offer pointers or direct me to a site that I can research? I have looked at "images" and see mostly either Word or Excel docs.

Thank you for your help and guidance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

JimS

Involved In Discussions
We've only done that in a few documents, but if you have Visio, you can embed the flowchart right in the Word document. Future editing is done resident in the Word doc, no secondary file to manage.

I'm thinking of doing some videos as well, but haven't done the detail work yet on what managing the files will look like.

Tyranna

Involved In Discussions
We've only done that in a few documents, but if you have Visio, you can embed the flowchart right in the Word document. Future editing is done resident in the Word doc, no secondary file to manage.

I'm thinking of doing some videos as well, but haven't done the detail work yet on what managing the files will look like.
I use Visio and do flow mapping. I saw a neat application of a flow chart where the within the flowchart, you could click on a box and it would open up to describe the step within the process. I am tinkering around with that idea for some of our shorter processes that do not have a lot of steps within them.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
I suggest pictures are worth a thousand words. Your cell-phone can take decent close-up photographs in existing light, and then annotate with captions and arrows or colored numbers to align with step-by-step instructions. I remember one case where threading the material through the machine was hard to describe in word instructions and a picture did not show enough contrast to be useful. I had the designer produce a wire-frame cross-sectioned illustration from the CAD model, and that worked better than a photograph.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Formats for Turtle Diagram Models for a Variety of Different System Models Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 27
M Is there a way to obtain redacted copies of IFU from a different manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Device with different options for a sub-component - CE marking implications EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K UDI for two units with different S/N on the same package/case Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
A What is different between Field Safety Notice and Advisory Notice in U.S and EU? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R Whats different between these position CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
N Medical device name in different countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Different Indications for Use in Different Countries -- how to handle IFU? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
John C. Abnet Terms- Different Items in a system ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
K How to handle GTINs for different configurations of one device with one part number? Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Different limits for new and worn gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Sister companies selling same medical device under different names ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
K Why 'FD&C act section number' and 'section number' in the title of the act are different? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Different Authorized Representative and distributors in Saudi Arabia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Yield Plot for different groupings Using Minitab Software 3
R IEC 60601-1 - Different methods of achievement of the isolation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
F How do you add accuracies for tools with different measurement devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
H What is different between PED certificate and CPR certificate? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
M Different procedure templates for different standards - We have two different management systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Identical Sales Package in Different Countries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
E Different requirements for Class II and Class III Medical Devices Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
C Subsidiaries; same/different Quality Policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
qualprod Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
H IFU in different language other than English EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Ethicon Suture - Why Ethicon specs are different internationally Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Different websites for different markets - FDA, Health Canada or other requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
E Different types of Actions? CARs, OFIs or N/A ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
smryan ISO 9001:2015 8.6 & 8.5.1.h) - Redundant or different? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Additional Controls for processing the raw data on different computers (processing system) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
MrTetris Informational Risk Register - Same hazardous situation, different severity of harms ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
A PFMEA severity score different applications FMEA and Control Plans 11
xfngrs How similar or different are IATF 16949 Vs. ISO 13485 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
I Requirements for different Labeling Levels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S CE Marking requirements - A Medical device with different config sold under same name EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B IATF 16949 - Different Registrars for remote and manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
W Transport validation to different climate zones ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
W Design and Process Validation - Different? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Is it ok to provide a different language upon request? EU Medical Device Regulations 25
O New stability - Yes or No - Similar product but for different intended use EU Medical Device Regulations 1