Different procedure templates for different standards - We have two different management systems

Mohammed

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

I'd appreciate your response to this question- if we have two different management systems built according to ISO 9001 and ISO 22301 then can we have two different procedure templates for each of them or should we stick with only one? And who will be the owner of the template i.e. the other standard, the quality department, or the sector responsible for that standard?

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Just based on a cursory look at ISO 22301, I don't see how 22301 cannot be placed within the scope of 9001. That is, it would seem that 22301 processes, documentation, and activities would be necessarily included in the QMS, hence under 9001. So, I think you only have one management system, not two, and 22301 is your organization's way of addressing particular risk types, per 9001 6.1.

Within 9001, it would certainly be allowed to have multiple procedure templates defined to be used for different purposes.

Mohammed

Starting to get Involved
Just based on a cursory look at ISO 22301, I don't see how 22301 cannot be placed within the scope of 9001. That is, it would seem that 22301 processes, documentation, and activities would be necessarily included in the QMS, hence under 9001. So, I think you only have one management system, not two, and 22301 is your organization's way of addressing particular risk types, per 9001 6.1.

Within 9001, it would certainly be allowed to have multiple procedure templates defined to be used for different purposes.

Thank you,Tagin, for your reply. To add a new dimension to the question/discussion there is a an inclination within the organisation towards establishing some business continuty measures. Part of these measures is performing the major procesess that have a direct interface with customers completely in a manual manner. Now, most of these processes have steps that are done via an IT application/system and my concern is about documenting the entirely manual version of these processes when their related IT system/application fail.
Do we need to document a new process for this manual operation or we can change within the current template to accommodate this requirement? The latter will require revising all developed processes to accommodate the template change.

Thank you

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I think it would depend how different the manual process is from the IT-based process. Maybe there could be a top-level document that overviews the general flow, functions, and authorities/responsibilities, etc. Then, that document references two sub-documents - one for details on how to perform the IT-based process, and one for details on how to perform the manual process.

This keeps the documents logically connected to the process, but allows you to revise each type (IT-based or manual) independently. Finally, it might make it a bit easier to assign responsibility for all the manual docs to a separate owner in charge of BCP, since they are separate documents. Just a thought.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A How to review a procedure which covers different production lines efficiently Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M A common APQP between different companies? Alliance New Product Quality Procedure APQP and PPAP 12
S Procedure vs. Process - What's different between Procedure and Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
K Why 'FD&C act section number' and 'section number' in the title of the act are different? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Different Authorized Representative and distributors in Saudi Arabia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Yield Plot for different groupings Using Minitab Software 3
R IEC 60601-1 - Different methods of achievement of the isolation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
F How do you add accuracies for tools with different measurement devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
H What is different between PED certificate and CPR certificate? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
M Identical Sales Package in Different Countries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
E Different requirements for Class II and Class III Medical Devices Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
C Subsidiaries; same/different Quality Policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
qualprod Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
H IFU in different language other than English EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Ethicon Suture - Why Ethicon specs are different internationally Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Different websites for different markets - FDA, Health Canada or other requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
E Different types of Actions? CARs, OFIs or N/A ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
smryan ISO 9001:2015 8.6 & 8.5.1.h) - Redundant or different? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Additional Controls for processing the raw data on different computers (processing system) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
MrTetris Informational Risk Register - Same hazardous situation, different severity of harms ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
A PFMEA severity score different applications FMEA and Control Plans 11
xfngrs How similar or different are IATF 16949 Vs. ISO 13485 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
I Requirements for different Labeling Levels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S CE Marking requirements - A Medical device with different config sold under same name EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B IATF 16949 - Different Registrars for remote and manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
W Transport validation to different climate zones ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
W Design and Process Validation - Different? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Is it ok to provide a different language upon request? EU Medical Device Regulations 25
O New stability - Yes or No - Similar product but for different intended use EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Design Transfer between two companies with different QMS CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
R Medical devices certified by different notified bodies EU Medical Device Regulations 6
V Software as control or protection will lead to different Software Safety Class? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 18
M I have 3 different factors - DOE help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Q Is it acceptable to mix components from two different lots into an assembly? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Numbering for documents with same content but different language ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T QMS/MDD scope - Two companies located in different places work together Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 10
A Why I get a different kind of regression equation when I do the same data in a differ Using Minitab Software 7
W Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4