Difficulties Controlling Foreign Suppliers

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Everyone,

When dealing with foreign suppliers, it's common to deal with a "middle-man" company who, in turn, deals with an actual manufacturer.
(NOTE: this situation can apply to any supplier but, in my experience, is most common with foreign suppliers due to language barriers preventing direct dealings with manufacturing facilities).

For example:
  • Company A is the manufacturing facility that manufactures widgets
  • Company B is a middle-man who brokers orders with Company A.

• Company A has a certified quality system, but Company B does not.
  • Supplier agreements are with Company B.
  • All orders go through Company B (i.e. the name on all purchase orders is Company B), but all received items are from Company A.

So I'm curious how people deal with such situations from a quality-system/documentation perspective.
  • Is Company A necessary to include in supplier records?
  • Is it sufficient that the supplier agreement with Company B require that they notify us of any change to manufacturer, and we also verify this by confirming that shipments always come from Company A?
  • Would a Notified Body inspect the facilities of Company A, or Company B?

...hope this makes sense. :cfingers:
If you can make sense of what I'm talking about, any feedback or advice is much appreciated.

MM

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
  • Is Company A necessary to include in supplier records?
  • Is it sufficient that the supplier agreement with Company B require that they notify us of any change to manufacturer, and we also verify this by confirming that shipments always come from Company A?
  • Would a Notified Body inspect the facilities of Company A, or Company B?
I would generally try to avoid purchasing ingredients / components which bear on finished device safety / performance through a company that doesn't have a formal QMS, regardless of who they actually source the goods from.

To your questions (in the same order):

* In my opinion, no. Your supplier is company B.

* It's necessary but not sufficient. The agreement with company B should include all elements expected in an ordinary quality agreement (unless they're obviously N/A), regardless of whether they're the actual producer or not.

* If what you buy from company B is essential enough and/or there are serious problems related to that supply, the NB might ask to audit company B on site. In extreme cases (death-related investigation for instance) they might ask to proceed to inspect company A's facilities (having found out that there's not much to see at company B...), but otherwise I'd say it's quite unlikely that the NB would go that far (pun intended :)).

Cheers,
Ronen.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
I would generally try to avoid purchasing ingredients / components which bear on finished device safety / performance through a company that doesn't have a formal QMS.
If what you buy from company B is essential enough and/or there are serious problems related to that supply, the NB might ask to audit company B on site.
This is the problem with many of these situations: While the "middle-man" (Company B) may have a registered company name, in reality they are often just one or two individuals who broker transactions with the actual production facilities. While they may have their own management system, given the scope of their activities, it's hard to expect that these people would have systems certified to any standard....

This is why I don't know about the execution of (potential) NB audits in such cases. Their "facilities" consist of a desk, computer and phone.... They maintain transaction records (the POs we send them, and subsequent orders to the actual facility), but all the real quality activities (traceability, equip control, corrective action, etc.) is done by the actual facility (Company A) who has the certified quality system...

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
This is the problem with many of these situations: While the "middle-man" (Company B) may have a registered company name, in reality they are often just one or two individuals who broker transactions with the actual production facilities. While they may have their own management system, given the scope of their activities, it's hard to expect that these people would have systems certified to any standard....

This is why I don't know about the execution of (potential) NB audits in such cases. Their "facilities" consist of a desk, computer and phone.... They maintain transaction records (the POs we send them, and subsequent orders to the actual facility), but all the real quality activities (traceability, equip control, corrective action, etc.) is done by the actual facility (Company A) who has the certified quality system...
Please note that I didn't write "certified" or "standardised". I only wrote "formal QMS" to indicate that there actually is a QMS, not just a bunch of unwritten practices that might be here today and gone tomorrow. It was already shown that an ISO 9001 compliant system can be efficiently implemented in very small organisations, even down to a count of 1 person; let alone unstandardised / uncertified systems.

I would also tend to avoid relying on one-man operations for the supply of ingredients / components of significant bearing on your device. If you consider that individual ("company B") to be essential in the engagement with company A, I would try to negotiate direct engagement, with the middle man acting as an agent and receiving commission, rather than a distributor (their role in the scenario you described). It's easy to guess that "company B" wouldn't like it too much because then both you and company A would know exactly how much he makes on you, but that's up to your company's business negotiation skills... From a pure QA/regulatory perspective it would be a much healthier situation.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
So I'm curious how people deal with such situations from a quality-system/documentation perspective.
Is Company A necessary to include in supplier records?
Is it sufficient that the supplier agreement with Company B require that they notify us of any change to manufacturer, and we also verify this by confirming that shipments always come from Company A?
Would a Notified Body inspect the facilities of Company A, or Company B?

Company A is the first inclusion in our supplier record
We ask the B to get the change notification duly signed from A., and keep doing this once every two years.
We have made supplier agreement with A through B and have included the NB audit situation to get the agreement from A's management.

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions
One needs to understand that when purchases are made from the distribution dealer the contract should contain sufficient information detailing the product ordered, records needed and regulatory/statutory requirements that the product must meet when delivered to your organization. If the dealer in importing the product from overseas they, not their supplier, are on the contractual/regulatory hook so to speak.

What does this mean for your organization? The dealer must have sufficient resources to assure that the product they intend to deliver conforms to your contract requirements. If the product you receive from them is nonconforming, the corrective action implemented must address the failures in their system, not their suppliers system, which will be corrected. If they go down the road of “my supplier…” any response of that nature is unacceptable because they are not your supplier. The dealers system should have identified the nonconformity.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I agree with BoardGuy, the reasons listed are exactly why I'd normally try to avoid having a single individual with a desk and a phone as a significant supplier. It's not that an individual can't implement a robust QMS, it's just that on average they're much less likely to do so than a larger company (no offence to one-man-show operations, I am one too).

DRAMMAN

my experience after 20 years is you cannot expect much from a offshore broker unless you give them a detailed list of your requirement and get them to agree up front. Even then, you have little power to enforce your requirements unless you audit them.

BoardGuy

mEven then, you have little power to enforce your requirements unless you audit them.
[FONT=&quot]You must remember that you do have the ability. If they do not deliver conforming product to your contract requirements they are then in breach of contract and subject to return of product or recovery through the courts.[/FONT]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E What are the major difficulties when working as a consultant in your industry? Consultants and Consulting 20
E Internal Audit Difficulties - Am I headed in the right direction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
R Program Start-Up Difficulties - Would anyone have a format to use? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Conformity Assesment Review (Annex II) for a New Product - Difficulties EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Difficulties in performing MSA on Rockwell Hardness Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
M Difficulties associated with implementing a QMS - AS9100 Startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Improvements and difficulties in implementing customer complaints procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R LEAN Difficulties - Why a company doesn't want to do LEAN Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 36
F Weighing Instrument Calibration Laboratory - Difficulties in Implementing a QMS? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Appearance Approval Report (AAR) Difficulties - Decorative Graphics Screen Printing APQP and PPAP 12
R Poll for six sigma project leaders: What are the difficulties and failure factors? Six Sigma 1
A Upgrading from ISO9001:2000 to AS9120 - Difficulties? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
E Difficulties with Process Approach - Defining 'Effectiveness' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 59
R Controlling Quick Reaction Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
qualprod Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
qualprod Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
QSM_Rick Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
C Controlling Software Versions that are part of a medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
A ISO 13485 - Controlling Production and Service Provision - Product Catalogues ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R OHSAS 18001:2007 Section 3 - Controlling Work Place Risks Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Controlling an Excel Spreadsheet (Database) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C ISO 9001:2008 4.2.3(f) - Controlling Documents of External Origin Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
N Controlling Records query that may cause some serious trouble for me ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Controlling Manual - Control of 10 Printed Manuals throughout our 9 Branches Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Tool Monitoring - Controlling a Process with Better Tool Monitoring Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Controlling QMS - We are expanding globally and want to keep our QMS Confidential Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Controlling Prints in Shop - Audit Finding Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Controlling "Stamps" used throughout our processing Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
T Requirements - Controlling and Maintaining Sheet Metal Templates for Production Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Controlling Solidworks model, CAD & Gerber files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Defining and Controlling External Documents (Documents of External Origin) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Controlling Temperature and Time - Do I need to calibrate the thermostat? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Controlling Documentation - Which procedures to control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C HACCP in Egg Production - Controlling hazards at the farm level Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
M Controlling Data Labels on Graphs - Number of Decimal Places Reported - Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
I Controlling Minitab by vba (visual basic) or vb Using Minitab Software 6
T Procedure for "Controlling Nonconformity" for a software company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Controlling and monitoring of measuring devices - AS9100 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Establishing and controlling process capability - Meaning of Phrases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
E Controlling CNC Machine Programs - Your recommendations appreciated Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
T Controlling filled out "forms" (eg Operator job specific work instructions) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Controlling Reference Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Controlling Temperature and Humidity in the CMM Room and does anyone use Artifacts? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8