Difficulties with Process Approach - Defining 'Effectiveness'

As I know the clause 0.2 "Process approach" in FDIS 9001:2000 again changed. Moreover there is an ISO/TC176' decision to produce special guidance module regarding this problem. Neverthless, how should I start, using cl. 4.1 of ISO 9001:2000?

4.1 a) Identifying processes
I identified
- 6 interested parties (customers,
stuff, owners etc.)
- 8 key production processes ( marketing, design, purchasing, production etc.)
- 7 main management processes (responsibilities,planning,recourses, measurement etc.)
So I have a matrix of 6*8*7=336 processes.OK
4.1 b) Determining the sequense and interaction of these processes. Ha-ha,
Shall I identify input and output for all these processes?
How shall I describe this interaction to stuff and auditors ( a matrix, a lot of flowcharts, in procedures)?
4.1 c) Determining criteria and methods required to ensure that both the operation and control of these processes are effective.
I don't know how to do it, because I understand that my internal and external auditors are not able to estimate: "Are operation and control really effective?".
And what is the noun for the adjective "effective" - effectiveness or efficiency. You know that it is a big difference between them.

Thank you in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
"4.1 b) Determining the sequense and interaction of these processes. Ha-ha,
Shall I identify input and output for all these processes?
How shall I describe this interaction to stuff and auditors ( a matrix, a lot of flowcharts, in procedures)?"

Perhaps the best visual way to show interactions between processes is with a Venn Diagram. All will be disproportionaly affected in all probability. You may elect first to do some type of Regression Analysis to determine correlation between processes to help you create the diagram. Inputs/outputs is a good place to start.

Regards,

Kevin

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
"...4.1 c) Determining criteria and methods required to ensure that both the operation and control of these processes are effective..."

Inspections and tests.

"...I don't know how to do it, because I understand that my internal and external auditors are not able to estimate: "Are operation and control really effective?"

You determine this - not auditors.

"...And what is the noun for the adjective "effective" - effectiveness or efficiency. You know ..."

Effectiveness ~ Does it work and if so how well?

Efficiency is an input/output ratio in units appropriate to what you're looking at. There are natural gas furnaces which are 95% efficient and there are others which are 60% efficient. This is an instance of BTUs lost to entrophy (potential of the gas put in {input} vs the BTUs output to the home). In manufacturing processes things can get much more complex. Try an internet search for Machine Efficiency, for example. See what you get back...

A

Alan Cotterell

I suggest it is worthwhile flowcharting the Product or service delivery process, at he 'macro level', before embarking on preparation of your Procedure Manual. You might have over 300 sub processes but only one or two product types which the manual should address.

H

HFowler

Process Approach

I am developing a Quality Management System for a small company. I plan to use graphical process models like the one shown in the beginning of the ISO 9001:2000 Standard in place of writing text procedures, (except for the required 6) to describe our processes. Is anyone else taking this approach?

I

ISO in Baltimore

We are using some process models to describe high level functions but we are mostly using flowcharts in place of text procedures. From the registrars and auditors we've talked to, flowcharts seem to be preferred over text procedures as much as possible anyways!

A

Al Dyer

Just an opinion, but I find that the level 2 procedures lend themselves to be written documents that reference the work instructions that are flow-charted.

In reality, very few use the procedures, most use the work instructions and forms.

By flow-charting work instructions it makes it easier for the general work population to understand and perform.

ASD...

Marc

Staff member
Admin
-> I find that the level 2 procedures lend themselves to be
-> written documents that reference the work instructions
-> that are flow-charted.

I disagree. I believe level 2's are the first to be flow charted. I haven't had a client use text level 2's since 1995.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I suggest flow charts everywhere you can. Especially level 2's. Most larger companies have problems doing some lower level documents in flow charts such as work instructions and/or travelers because their MRP/ERP systems print them.

Almost any procedure can be, and should be, flow charted. Text documents are to be avoided at almost any cost.

At Harley we flow charted just about everything except the 'quality' manual and many assembly and other various documents which the MRP software spits out. My smaller clients do the same.

The problem at many companies is as you get down to the level of assembly / work instructions (in addition to any MRP/ERP systems problems) is the detail level necessary. It becomes harder (with some processes) to use flow charts because of detail issues.

David, you've been visiting the forums long enough to see my extreme Pro-Flow Chart bias. Not to mention my Flow Chart rants.

There are numerous examples in my Implementing ISO Guide (unabashed promo).

At the least, all level 2 'procedures' should be flow charted.

-> I haven't had a client use text level 2's since 1995.

This means I haven't had a client which used text documents as level 2's since 1995. They have all exclusively used flow charts.

-> Do you mean text only L2 procedures?

I'm not sure what you mean here - but if you are saying "Yes - use text only documents for level 2's", the answer is NO. Use Flow Charts for ALL level 2's and the majority of level 3's.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Difficulties Controlling Foreign Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
E What are the major difficulties when working as a consultant in your industry? Consultants and Consulting 20
E Internal Audit Difficulties - Am I headed in the right direction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
R Program Start-Up Difficulties - Would anyone have a format to use? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Conformity Assesment Review (Annex II) for a New Product - Difficulties EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Difficulties in performing MSA on Rockwell Hardness Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
M Difficulties associated with implementing a QMS - AS9100 Startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Improvements and difficulties in implementing customer complaints procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R LEAN Difficulties - Why a company doesn't want to do LEAN Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 36
F Weighing Instrument Calibration Laboratory - Difficulties in Implementing a QMS? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Appearance Approval Report (AAR) Difficulties - Decorative Graphics Screen Printing APQP and PPAP 12
R Poll for six sigma project leaders: What are the difficulties and failure factors? Six Sigma 1
A Upgrading from ISO9001:2000 to AS9120 - Difficulties? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 4
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6