Digital Document Control - Revision

AprilH

Starting to get Involved
We are transitioning from hardcopies to all digital concerning our work instructions. We are using SharePoint that tracks the revisions and our procedure states that any work instruction printed is considered Uncontrolled.

My question is this - in the actual word document itself, do we need to list the revision number? Again, it shows in SharePoint, and we have revision history. We also have restrictions on logins so only Approved documents can be viewed. Being new to the digital side of document control I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
We do. Even though printed copies may be uncontrolled, they are still used often and it helps to quickly identify the revision. You also may need to extract a copy for regulatory purposes.

AprilH

Starting to get Involved
We do. Even though printed copies may be uncontrolled, they are still used often and it helps to quickly identify the revision. You also may need to extract a copy for regulatory purposes.

You do it, but is it a requirement? I have to figure out how to push the revision number on to the current document without having to manually update it.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
There's no explicit requirement that I know of. I was just pointing out situations where, if you didn't, you might wish you had. :)

AprilH

Starting to get Involved
Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out how to automatically add it because I'd like it for my own peace of mind.

Randy

Super Moderator
There's no explicit requirement that I know of. I was just pointing out situations where, if you didn't, you might wish you had
What would one call this?

7.5.2 Creating and updating
When creating and updating documented information, the organization shall ensure appropriate:
a) identification and description (e.g. a title, date, author, or reference number);

AprilH

Starting to get Involved
What would one call this?

7.5.2 Creating and updating
When creating and updating documented information, the organization shall ensure appropriate:
a) identification and description (e.g. a title, date, author, or reference number);

Yes it is documented via SharePoint. If we have protected the documented where only the lastest revisions can be viewed, the revision number is on the screen where the document is viewed from as well as who approved it and when and we state all printed versions are considered Uncontrolled. Where does that deviate from the standard? I am not arguing but trying to make sure we do what is needed without undue burden on a small business.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
I'm wondering what is so onerous about changing the revision on the face of the document if you're already in there changing the content? How many documents are there and how often are they being revised?

AprilH

Starting to get Involved
I'm wondering what is so onerous about changing the revision on the face of the document if you're already in there changing the content? How many documents are there and how often are they being revised?

Our system generates the revision number. Actually some work instructions change weekly and it could be a small change. I'm trying to make it where we don't have to "remember" to update it.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yes it is documented via SharePoint. If we have protected the documented where only the lastest revisions can be viewed, the revision number is on the screen where the document is viewed from as well as who approved it and when and we state all printed versions are considered Uncontrolled. Where does that deviate from the standard? I am not arguing but trying to make sure we do what is needed without undue burden on a small business.

I see it over 100 times a year when I audit (I only do CB stuff) You're fine and I fully support keeping it as simple as possible. If you're trying to make an auditor happy, quit wasting your time, it's not his place to be happy.

Top Bottom