Dimension Inspection - Results recorded on print - Seeking a better method

M

Michael36

My company uses the actual fabrication print to record actual measured results next to the nominal dimensions. Problems occur when, mid-job, changes to drawings (ECRs) arrive that do not impact the recorded dimensions. New, updated drawings replace those that have dimensions already recorded. When this happens, either the dimensions have to be transferred to the new prints or the old version of the print is left with the job "for dimensional recording only, not for fabrication." You can see, either way is not very nice, and can beg for trouble.

Does anyone have a suggested format for a seperate dimension record form that the dimensions would be documented on, rather that the print itself?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Originally posted by Michael36:
My company uses the actual fabrication print to record actual measured results next to the nominal dimensions. Problems occur when, mid-job, changes to drawings (ECRs) arrive that do not impact the recorded dimensions. New, updated drawings replace those that have dimensions already recorded. When this happens, either the dimensions have to be transferred to the new prints or the old version of the print is left with the job "for dimensional recording only, not for fabrication." You can see, either way is not very nice, and can beg for trouble...... Thanks.
When you say fabrication print are you refering to the actual controlled print that the product was approved to, or are you refering to some type of secondary print generated to use specifically as a tool to record measurement results?

Do you store the completed fabrication print as evidence that the process was monitored?

How can you have an engineering change during a process run that would facilitate a new print to be generated?

I guess I am looking for some more information about your process. In my experience the original print that was used during process approval is a controlled document and must go through a formal change process. I guess the "normal" process I've seen is to have an inspection sheet that was derived from master print tolerances. Also, I have never heard of a major engineering change (one that requires a new print) not going through a formal approval process, escpecially during a production run.

I'd like to hear more about your process, I get the feeling I'm not getting an extensive enough picture to give an educated response.

Thanks,

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B 7.1.5.1.1 MSA for inline dimension vision inspection equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
O Dimension Measurement Tool Recommendation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
P AS9102 Form 3 Dimension Results Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J How to measure a Critical Characteristic that is a Basic Dimension Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
F Conversion of coordinate dimension holes to position dimension Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
G Customer complaint over a Reference Dimension Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
P Print Control Box - What does this dimension say? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Prashant G MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Dimension control on injection molding parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
S Basic Dimension W/O using FCF Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
O Start Up Approval Dimension Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C The difference between a Critical Dimension vs. Critical Characteristic Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
C MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Dimension Selection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Z Is PPAP Re-qualification needed in case of not quoted dimension change? APQP and PPAP 4
APHX02 AS9102 FAI Requirements that pertain to a Dimension 'delta' AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
T PPAP - Complaint from a Tier One customer concerning Product Dimension IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
M SPC with many data points from one dimension Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
S Using Calibrated OD mic over non-Calibrated ID mic for final dimension Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
V Dimension marked with "frame" on 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Labeling Symbols for EU - E.g. EN980 - Dimension, color, font, etc. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
P The correct way to do a Linearity and Stability Study on a Critical Dimension Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M What is the difference between Critical Dimension and Control Dimension Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
J Hole Form Dimension - Shaft dimension which is +-.015 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
E Callout of a length dimension and then P.I at the end - What does that mean? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Rejecting a Part when Dimension Feature is Basic Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Dimension Report Formula .xlsx Editable Spreadsheet Form Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 24
I Hole dimension out VS in tolerance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
D Profile of a Line of a radius of 25mm basic dimension - Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
S PPAP - How to calculate tolerance on basic dimension APQP and PPAP 5
R German Customer with a Dimension format I have not seen before Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
optomist1 GD&T - Indirect Straightness Control - The Size Dimension on a Feature of Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V Out of Tolerance on Non Critical Dimension (PPAP) APQP and PPAP 8
J Basic Dimension Chaining - Second hole has a basic dimension from the first hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Hole Limit Dimension Values Placement - Smaller Limit On Top? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L When and how to apply Bonus Tolerance MMC - Hole Dimension Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
optomist1 Size Dimension and Feature of Size - FOS as subset of a Size Dimension Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Customer wants each dimension, including reference, in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
O Capability Study on Continual Arbitrary Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
P (Acme) 29deg stub thread 9TPI - Thread dimensions & tolerancing and root dimension General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
J Calibration Requirement for Virtek Laser Dimension machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
J Angularity - When angularity is called out should it be to a basic dimension Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Measurements (Dimension) Data Anaylsis - Methods to determine trends Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Problem with Cpk calculation of dimension with nominal at the top limit. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
B Calculating Capability on a One-Sided Tolerance Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
S Using the results from GR&R (Gage R&R) Analysis - One sided dimension Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 25
D How to set my quality dimension yearly target based on prior years data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D Definition Prints that have a dimension and immediately after it the letters "N. T. S." Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 15
T Use of the tilde symbol below a dimension indicated it was out of scale? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Feature perpendicularity dimension should be good up to how many decimal points? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8