Dimensions Before or After Coating? Drawing states ASME Y14.100 and Y14.5 apply

T

timmlaww3256

All,
I have a supplier that has submitted parts made to a third party's drawing. The drawing states that "ASME Y14.100 and Y14.5 applies." These parts have a coating applied IAW NOTE 3 (see below), and the thickness of the coating is not specified. The problem I have is that a typical feature is dimensioned (thickness) at 0.048 +/-0.005", but feature measures at 0.058".

The supplier's position is that the dimensions apply BEFORE coating. It is my position that drawing dimensions apply AFTER coating has been applied. I say the drawing describes an item configuration including all drawing notes. How could NOTE 3 "not count" for dimensioning and tolerancing? I would expect a "Dimensions apply before coating [Note 3]" type statement otherwise. I really need something solid to support my position because my supplier has decided to play "Lawyer-ball" on this issue, and wants proof that I am correct.

Any help is appreciated

Timmlaww

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

sitapaty

Re: Dimensions before/after coating (?)

The dimensions are for 'after plating' condition.The supplier should manufacture under sized threads and maintain drg.size after plating.This requires some geometrical calculation on treading diameters and monitor strictly the preplated dimensions.Preplated dimensions are generaly not given on drgs.
-Sitapaty

rob73

looking for answers
Generally I would agree with you, if a finished part drawing states that a part is coated then the dimensions should reflect the finished sizes, if they do not then this should be implicitly stated using a note.
The dimension in question, is it a machined/manufactured dimension or is it a thickness of plate etc. The later could cause issues as sheets and plates are generally standard sizes so your supplier would have difficulty meeting the drawing dimension using standard material. just a thought.
Rob

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
All,
I have a supplier that has submitted parts made to a third party's drawing. The drawing states that "ASME Y14.100 and Y14.5 applies." These parts have a coating applied IAW NOTE 3 (see below), and the thickness of the coating is not specified. The problem I have is that a typical feature is dimensioned (thickness) at 0.048 +/-0.005", but feature measures at 0.058".

The supplier's position is that the dimensions apply BEFORE coating. It is my position that drawing dimensions apply AFTER coating has been applied. I say the drawing describes an item configuration including all drawing notes. How could NOTE 3 "not count" for dimensioning and tolerancing? I would expect a "Dimensions apply before coating [Note 3]" type statement otherwise. I really need something solid to support my position because my supplier has decided to play "Lawyer-ball" on this issue, and wants proof that I am correct.

Any help is appreciated

Timmlaww
I have only a copy of the 1994 version of Y14.5M, and it all it says is that the drawing must state whether dimensioning applies before or after plating/coating. In my own experience, having worked directly in electroplating and in job shops where parts were plated or painted in accordance with customer specifications, the ASSUMPTION is that all dimensions apply to finished parts. My emphasis on "assumption" is that this is one thing that should NEVER be assumed. If the drawing/specifications don't say whether dimensioning applies before or after plating (or whatever) always ask the customer, and always get the answer in writing.

D

DrM2u

I really need something solid to support my position because my supplier has decided to play "Lawyer-ball" on this issue, and wants proof that I am correct.
My position is that the customer is the one who specifies if the dimensions are before or after any coating. If you are the customer and your supplier is ISO 9001 registered then the onus is on the supplier to identify your requirements, even those not explicitly stated but important to the product (see Clause 7.2..1.b). Also, in accordance with Clause 7.2.2, the supplier should confirm any requirements that are not documented before accepting the job. Now if in the contract or conditions of purchase you have anything that stipulates that your suppleir must comply with the requirements of ISO 9001 then you have an ace in your pocket. Hope this helps a little.

T

timmlaww3256

Thanks for the help everyone!

The base part is injection molded polypropylene.
The coating is a marine/naval paint.
One thing that I have discovered since posting is that the supplier was also contracted to build the tooling, and we have engineering documentation that shows they built the tool slightly smaller than the dimensioned part, explicitly to allow for the coating. It appears that this allowance is insufficient. Since the tooling contract documentation clearly states the intentional dimensional factoring and the reason for it, I'm good.

Great discussion as always, and thanks again to everyone!

Timmlaww

D

DrM2u

I am stil not clear who the customer is, but that's for you to know and address.

I have encountered a very similar situation just recently. The organization I am working with is a molder, the customer provided part prints that require the part to be painted, and the molder outsources the painting process to a sub-supplier. The molder was also contracted for making the mold, which is not an uncommon practice. After all, the molder is supposed to be the expert, right?!? The customer was approached about the print dimensional specification and the customer indicated that the dimensions are for the finished part, painted.

Now, the dimensions of the unpainted part can be controlled a little through the molding process. Over-packing the part can cause the dimensions to be a little larger (less shrinkage after molding). Simple logic: over-packing reduces the space between molecules by applying extra pressure to the part for a period of time. When the part cools the molecules have less movement as the material solidifies. Ask the molder to pack the parts less if possible and see if they can reduce the part size. Be aware of other potential side effects, though: non-fill, folds, flow lines, etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Dimensions apply before or after Coatings? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Holding Dimensions Before or After Painting? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
M Dimensions Apply Before or After Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
J Final Inspection - 1st Article Dimensions before Anodize and Passivation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G Critical Characteristics/Dimensions of PCBAs Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Customer Dimensions on Internal Drawing, all of them? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D All Dimensions listed on control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
D Requirements for the dimensions / color of medical device labels - Software as a Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
E Layouts : Can you "verify" things that are not visible (such as loctite present, internal dimensions) in a layout ? APQP and PPAP 2
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E Conflicting dimensions on customer print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
P True Position vs X and Y Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
A Trimming the Inspection Report - Deciding which are the CTF dimensions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
E Print only has Reference Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S How to Statistically Prove 2 Dimensions are Related Using Minitab Software 18
W GR&R (two dimensions on a shaft) with few parts and only 2 operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T How to report Basic Dimensions on a Dimensional Report (ISIR) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S SPC Card for One Sample Size - Customer requires for all critical dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Basic Dimensions on Machining Prints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O Metrology Devices to Measure the Basic Dimensions of Plastic Specimens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S TS16949 - 8.2.3.1 - Processes for Key and Critical Characteristic Dimensions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V The Purpose of Basic Dimensions on Prints APQP and PPAP 6
T Variable Dimensions / Part of Production / PPAP Dimensional Report Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
M How to calculate dimensions of trapezoid ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M TS 16949 Cpk requirements for Non-Critical Dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S What is Cc? Capability Study on Key Critical Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
C Missing Dimensions on the 2D drawings - FAI and 3D Models Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Q Reference Card for Dimensions at QC on the Shop Floor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
V What are Basic Dimensions about and why are they considered basic? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
QMMike Are Reference Dimensions denoted on a Drawing differently in China? APQP and PPAP 7
V Note Change to Print - Do I need dimensions results? APQP and PPAP 1
Q Requirement for All Dimensions on the Print on the Control Plan submitted with PPAP APQP and PPAP 19
J Definition Standards for Dimensions and Surface Finish on a Rod Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
M Should all Drawing Dimensions be in the FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 5
J No Critical Dimensions listed in a Upper Legend Block APQP and PPAP 1
S 8 Dimensions of Product Quality according to Garvin Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
S Process Capability on Basic Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
P (Acme) 29deg stub thread 9TPI - Thread dimensions & tolerancing and root dimension General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
I Lot to Lot Comparison of Specific Part Dimensions Over Time - SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
O Can I Summarize Cp and Cpk of all Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
N Minimal Dimensions on Blueprints and a 3D Model Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M TS 16949 Sampling Plan Information - List the specific dimensions for each piece? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Gage R&R Studies - Part that has 10-20 critical dimensions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Stijloor Experience with DDI (Development Dimensions Int'l)? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
R Definition Basic Dimensions - What are basic dimensions? Why don't they have tolerances? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
P Help with ASQ Z1.9 - Sample being inspected has multiple dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
triathlonx13 ISO vs. ANSI Thread Standard (Dimensions) and Luer Taper for Medical Devices Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4