Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame)

Hello, we are a small, foreign manufacturer (EU) of a medical device (prescription lenses + special frames).
We are aware that we have to register and list our device with FDA, but we only sell it directly to the end user (via the e-commerce website).

Is direct import by a customer in the US even possible? I have read the FDA guidelines on who must register, but I'm not sure I interpret them correctly.
Would each customer (as an importer) also have to register and pay the fee?

Additional question:
We are the designer and the sole seller of our product through our website.
We are manufacturing the frame, but we use lenses made by other companies (popular lens brands).
Do all these companies have to be registered with the FDA, or just us?

I would be very grateful for anyone's help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Yes, US customers can order online from sellers anywhere in the world and are not required to register with FDA, assuming they are either healthcare providers purchasing for use with their patients, or patients purchasing for their own use.

You can find information regarding who has to register with FDA here:

Device Registration and Listing

FDA has a lot of guidance available for medical device companies. If you are planning to sell to US customers, you might want to spend some time on its website:

Device Advice

The front page is currently dedicated to COVID-19, but if you look down the left-hand side of the page, you will find a number of topics that will be useful to you.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.
I've read a lot about registering and medical devices on the FDA website, and I never got the impression that direct export could be a problem. This was suggested to us by an American company we contacted, which helps with registering and listing with the FDA.

They proposed to research the regulatory requirements of our product for quite a hefty fee.
It's a big expense for our company and I'm trying to find out as much as I can on my own.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T PPAP supplied to our customer Direct from Heat Treater supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Ahang "DIRECT MODE" or "ADJUSTED MODE" according to ISO 80601-2-56 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Z Direct Part Marking (DPM) requirements for Class II Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Medical Device News FDA Guidance - UDI: Policy Regarding Compliance Dates for Class I and Unclassified Devices and Certain Devices Requiring Direct Marking Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T Type BF or CF (Direct conductive contact with the heart) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
lyobovnik Matters being audited, independence, participation and direct responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Data Matrix and DPM (direct part marking) UDI Standards - ISO/IEC TR 29158 Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
K UDI Direct Marking Compliance Date Clarification and one other UDI question Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
JoCam UDI - Direct Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 9
N PFMEA for Non-Manufacturing Processes such as audits, direct procurement, etc. FMEA and Control Plans 5
G Interpretation of phrase - "Direct Authority" EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
M UDI - Direct Marking and Reprocessing Clarification Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
C Meaning of "direct diagnosis" (Annex IX, Rule 10) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Difference between Direct & Indirect Elisa (Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
L Shipping Medical Devices and Pharmaceuticals Direct to Physicians - Puerto Rico US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
T Duties and Responsibilities as a Direct Supervisor of a Pregnant Employee Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
S ISO 10993 Cytotox Testing - Direct Contact rather than Extractables Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Medical Devices - Direct vs. Indirect Body Contact - Definitions Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M AS9100 Requirements for Direct and Indirect Procurement AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
I Magnehelic Calibration by Direct Comparison with a Shortridge Airdata ADM-870C Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
E Material Review Board - We will get FAA Direct Ship Authority Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
I Does anyone have direct experience with BVQI (Brazil)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
G Environmental Issues - Indirect (influence)/ Direct Aspects Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
K Definitions of direct & indirect cause that needs to be answered in a 5 WHY analysis? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
H What is 'Direct Run First Time Quality Result' - IATF Guide, Para 7.4.3.2? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W ISO 13485 Certification - No Sterilization, Packing nor Direct Shipping to End User. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Tool Kits to Reduce Direct Time on Milling Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
SteelMaiden Competency evaluation records - Direct correlation to EMS-related topics Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
M SPC is not a direct requirement of ISO 9001:2000, correct? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Marc Micro direct methanol fuel cell system for IBM ThinkPad notebooks After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
E Definition Management - Definition of - Coordinates activities to direct and control Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
D Over-Worked Instruction - Quality Technician for a direct mail printing company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L ISO 14001 Aspect and Impact Assessment - Direct and Indirect Environmental Impacts ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 18
S Suppliers - How "direct" is "direct"? Services DIRECTLY to Chrysler, Ford, GM Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K What is the difference between Direct and Indirect product? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 21
CarolX Self Direct Training General Auditing Discussions 4
R Is a complete Internal Audit prior to registration a direct requirement of QS9000? Internal Auditing 3
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17