Directors View - Standards like ISO 9001 are "Just a TICK in the BOX"

Trebor123

Involved In Discussions
Discussion with a UK and Global partnering Company last week

The Director in charge of ISO 9001 (also looking to gain ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001 eventually)

Advised me that all he was interested in was to get the ISO to gain a TICK in the BOX... :mg:

His manufacturing companies/subsidiaries have the ISO's but the HQ / lead do not so actually putting on their appliances / boxes that they have ISO 9001 etc...

Just shows what these huge Profit making companies can do and get away with it..

Just a TICK in the BOX.. Indeed.. nonsense :mad:

Re: Directors view - Just a TICK in the BOX

Advised me that all he was interested in was to get the ISO to gain a TICK in the BOX... :mg:
Um... I feel your pain, and we have all met them: The lot that are absolutely clueless about what a management system is actually for, or our customers reasons for requiring us to have one.

I sometimes wonder whether they are also the people keeping the degree by mail order racket alive, as they are so obviously trying to get the grades without doing the homework. As you say, they just want that scrap of paper to put on the wall, and it is a daunting task indeed to steer them towards enlightenment.

So how do we enlighten them? Preaching to the heathens is no easy feat, and maybe this would be a good opportunity to share tales of successfully converting people from clueless to dedicated?

Trebor123

Involved In Discussions

Claes

I know what you mean. The chap is leaving himself and his company wide open with his comments ! basically not interested and glad Im not working for him or the company !! he should be ashamed really.. take it and our profession seriously.. stop knocking us..

Marc.. dont use Fed-ex.. not alone !!! I know where your coming from .. probably hundreds only using us a tick exercise !! Directors should take more care with comments and support of their companies ! I think he had 28 years experience ! should know better ! if you dont like it.. move on..

D

DRAMMAN

I think the value that ISO9001 provides depend son the maturity of a companie's QMS. You do not have to be ISO9001 to have a robust, highly effective QMS. I worked for a company that was considered a global benchmark in Quality and had a very effective QMS studied by many companies long before they received ISO. In thier case they eventually had to gain ISO9001 to satisfy customer "tick boxes". ISO never added much value, since all the pieces were already there.

YEs, for many companies gaining ISO is simply checking the box.

Top Bottom