SBS - The best value in QMS software

Disappointed in leadership buy-in to QMS

An unfortunate situation, I just cannot get my upper management to really buy in to our QMS despite obvious benefits. I have to hold hands on anything they are required to do. Especially now that the pandemic has hurt business.

The upside is that I can confidently say I certified a company from start to finish and have a very good understanding of ISO9001:2015. I had thought that once we become certified and there were no more changes that it would be easier but it did not turn out that way. Hoping to make a career change as it was not in my original job description.

I am beyond the point of trying to reason with them, but I am wondering if others have had similar experiences?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
You experience is unfortunately all too common. The decision to become 9001 certified being driven by either a customer requirement or a perceived marketing benefit, instead of quality and performance, results in the QMS thereafter being viewed as overhead and red tape, an impediment to 'getting things done'.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
An unfortunate situation, I just cannot get my upper management to really buy in to our QMS despite obvious benefits. I have to hold hands on anything they are required to do. Especially now that the pandemic has hurt business.

The upside is that I can confidently say I certified a company from start to finish and have a very good understanding of ISO9001:2015. I had thought that once we become certified and there were no more changes that it would be easier but it did not turn out that way. Hoping to make a career change as it was not in my original job description.

I am beyond the point of trying to reason with them, but I am wondering if others have had similar experiences?
Expecting top management to understand their role in making their company's management system work effectively when it has been branded as ISO, or certification or QA's job is indeed very difficult.

This common misperception puts leaders outside of their comfort zone and it is your job to drop the jargon so everyone feels comfortable describing how their vigorous participation in the management system converts customer needs into cash in the bank, faster.

...or if you prefer, creates more successful customers.

Make sure all the processes necessary to make the system work effectively are owned by the acknowledged expert (not QA). BTW, make sure these processes have objectives that contribute to fulfillment of the company's mission (or purpose). Take the system mainstream.

Recruit a crack team of awareness leaders (leaders by rank and by influence) and run a workshop for them where they create their materials to explain:

A. the system of interacting processes,
B. what is required of all employees,
C. the benefits

Close the workshop with trial presentations to fine-tune them, agree on any special media (incl a video of the top manager introducing the sessions). Re-run this workshop when necessary to refresh employee awareness of top management's commitment to requirements.

Run the awareness sessions and share the feedback. You now also have your orientation materials for new employees.

Continue with regular bulletins.

And you should already be using management reviews to report to everyone on what the system does well, what it does less than well and what top management is doing about it.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, yes, all too common. Too many times one needs the "one foot in the grave" and then management becomes desperate enough to lead. A repeat experience I've had in my career is having great success and cooperation when the facility I was working for was under the belief they could be shut down due to their problems. Inevitably as they recover, they believe they are "beyond that" and reverting to old habits.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

Why do so many ISO 9001 Implementation Programs Fail?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Disappointed with Calibration Source - Different versions of certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L Lean Transformation - How do you get Senior Leadership engaged Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
Q Tips for Action Requests on Communication and Leadership ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I ISO 9001:2015 - "Resources" - handled by leadership team? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Leadership Role in Designing QMS - Upper Management Support Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
R The formation of Leadership in the Workplace Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
V Leadership and Organization Styles in Different Countries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
M IATF Tool for Leadership and Planning - 2017 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
K ISO 9001:2015 Leadership and Commitment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Leadership Responsibility in an ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Auditing Clause 5 - Leadership in ISO9001:2015 Internal Auditing 4
S ISO 9001 Clause 5 - Leadership (as a Process?) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
P Leadership Standards - New job as Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
V Manager wont take the lead ....Leadership wont provide clarity....what to do? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S What could be the Leadership Strengths of an Organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
B Demonstrating Leadership Skills in a Job Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 7
M Leadership Attributes - Getting buy-in on Quality from other functions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
C ASQ: Leadership from Ballroom to Boardroom and the shop floor ASQ - American Society for Quality 12
K "Leadership Philosophy" Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
T CQL (Council on Quality and Leadership) Accreditation - Advice and example documents Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
B Effect of Inept Leadership and Mismanagement on an Organization Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
W Behavioral Psychology; Leadership - Getting the job done Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 9
J Free Basic Guide to Leadership and Supervision by Carter McNamara, PhD. Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
Steve Prevette ASQ Leadership Meeting Oct 16 - 18, 2005 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
R ASQ Section Leaders: Anyone going to the ASQ Leadership Summit in October? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
C Shakespeare's Lessons in Leadership: Macbeth The Reading Room 30
C Shakespeare's Lessons in Leadership: Hamlet Registered Visitor Articles Archive 64
C Leadership Drives Customer Focus Registered Visitor Articles Archive 0
C Improving the Quality of Leadership Registered Visitor Articles Archive 21
G Where to buy Template / sample SCSMS Manual, checklist Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
M Who needs a MDEL? How to buy and sell medical devices on my own Canada Medical Device Regulations 14
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G DFMEA buy-in strategies for Design Engineers APQP and PPAP 22
Q Buy American Act - COTS confusion Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Marc Buy-Sell Forum Cleaned Up - 20181029 Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 0
G Where to buy Medical Grade Transformer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
V IATF 16949 - Buy PDF copy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C Where to buy the latest MHLW, Canada MDR, Brazil medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Marc Where do you buy your ISO and other various standards? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Fender1 Operator process buy-in - how to get it? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
ernieto Where can I buy ISO-15223-1 CD with graphic symbols? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
I Where to buy ISO 10001, 10002, 10003 & 10004 (latest) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J Where to buy English translation of Chinese Standard GB/T 14233 China Medical Device Regulations 8
M Terms "Customer-directed sources" and "Directed-Buy" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Where can I buy the ISO 9001:2015 Standard in pdf? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D TS16949 requirements for for Directed Buy Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5