SBS - The best value in QMS software

Disappointed in leadership buy-in to QMS

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I don't disagree that leadership top management should be the victims target focus of audits, but, what tends to happen if and when CB auditors keep them accountable to their responsibilities, and write them up (the emperor has no clothes on), they (top management) don't like being exposed and demand auditor "rotation".

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Every one of my audits started and finished with top management.

After all they have a right to know what I am up to and what I found.

Straight after the opening meeting and just before the closing meeting.
Ditto re: the start and end with top management. Not just to let them know what I'm up to, but to also explore what they think the company is up to. They set the stage with their metrics and goals and objectives. Everything that comes after that discussion is hopefully aligned with what they think they're doing.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't disagree that leadership top management should be the victims target focus of audits, but, what tends to happen if and when CB auditors keep them accountable to their responsibilities, and write them up (the emperor has no clothes on), they (top management) don't like being exposed and demand auditor "rotation".
With all due respect, any CB auditor should know better than to write up a finding that finger points to a person (or group of people). The finding should be against the requirement and the process. A CB auditor should also know how to conduct a closing meeting that focuses on the expected outcomes, the reality of the current state, and the conformance (or lack there of) of processes to requirements...again, the focus should not be saying "you folks didn't do what you were supposed to do."

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Don't almost all the procedures accurately reflect their processes?

Keep the new processes to an absolute minimum. Allow the system to inform the team where changes are needed instead of inventing them in your office.

One of the biggest “implementation” mistakes is trying to improve processes and impose new procedures instead of developing the system around what already exists.

Again, allow the system to inform the team where improvements are needed. That is one of the main reasons for developing it.

Respect more of their system as it is and they may be more inclined respect your QMS.

I always include top management in the opening meeting. Why should they be left out? I hold the leadership interview with top management immediately after the opening meeting, but they should be included there too.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
The easiest way to approach this is have the auditor interview "Top Management" during the ISO audit. The owners at my company initially balked at this but now actually look forward to being audited. Sometimes I am concerned they volunteer too much information, but I would rather it this way then having to pull teeth!
That is an explicit requirement from my CB, passed down from expectations of AB and the ISO Technical Committee. In addition to auditing them, we need to hold them accountable to action in response to management review inputs. The expectations of top management in ISO standards' leadership sections are specific and actionable in their terminology.

I once wrote a major NC against Resources based on three separate examples of insufficient resources (corporate cutbacks). It was my most stressful closing meeting ever.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Evidence of a major nonconformity should be reviewed with top management before the closing meeting so they have an opportunity to provide any evidence to the contrary or, failing that, prepare to show their renewed commitment to requirements in the closing meeting.

Best not to surprise anyone in the closing meeting.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Evidence of a major nonconformity should be reviewed with top management before the closing meeting so they have an opportunity to provide any evidence to the contrary or, failing that, prepare to show their renewed commitment to requirements in the closing meeting.

Absolutely. NCRs should be reported as they are found. Perhaps better said potential NCRs should be disclosed as they come up even if it is not clear that it is an NCR yet.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Quite right.

In this case my co-auditor was one of our most respected and experienced. She and I agreed on our combined findings pointing to a Major NC. I recall that we did inform the QA manager, who no doubt informed the others during the time we did our last writeup, but the cutbacks were actually made by corporate offices who then attended the closing meeting via speaker phone. We could have heard a pin drop during those pauses... The local managers were tearing up while I insisted emphatically to the actual and virtual group that the nonconformity was, in our view, in no way the result of lack of caring or effort to do the right thing. They simply did not have enough resources, as evidenced by X Y and Z.

We auditors often shared a little joke that the Lead would send the Co auditor to get the car during the closing meeting, bring it around and keep it running for a speedy getaway. That one time I knew exactly what the joke meant.
:2cents:

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
I would suggest you to address them with the language of "the cost of Nonconformity", explain to your management the weakness points in your system and how will this going to reflect back in term of business profit. Do not decorate it, just provide actual facts based on your current situation and its impact on your business.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Disappointed with Calibration Source - Different versions of certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L Lean Transformation - How do you get Senior Leadership engaged Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
Q Tips for Action Requests on Communication and Leadership ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I ISO 9001:2015 - "Resources" - handled by leadership team? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Leadership Role in Designing QMS - Upper Management Support Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
R The formation of Leadership in the Workplace Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
V Leadership and Organization Styles in Different Countries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
M IATF Tool for Leadership and Planning - 2017 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
K ISO 9001:2015 Leadership and Commitment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Leadership Responsibility in an ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Auditing Clause 5 - Leadership in ISO9001:2015 Internal Auditing 4
S ISO 9001 Clause 5 - Leadership (as a Process?) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
P Leadership Standards - New job as Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
V Manager wont take the lead ....Leadership wont provide clarity....what to do? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S What could be the Leadership Strengths of an Organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
B Demonstrating Leadership Skills in a Job Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 7
M Leadership Attributes - Getting buy-in on Quality from other functions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
C ASQ: Leadership from Ballroom to Boardroom and the shop floor ASQ - American Society for Quality 12
K "Leadership Philosophy" Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
T CQL (Council on Quality and Leadership) Accreditation - Advice and example documents Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
B Effect of Inept Leadership and Mismanagement on an Organization Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
W Behavioral Psychology; Leadership - Getting the job done Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 9
J Free Basic Guide to Leadership and Supervision by Carter McNamara, PhD. Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
Steve Prevette ASQ Leadership Meeting Oct 16 - 18, 2005 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
R ASQ Section Leaders: Anyone going to the ASQ Leadership Summit in October? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
C Shakespeare's Lessons in Leadership: Macbeth The Reading Room 30
C Shakespeare's Lessons in Leadership: Hamlet Registered Visitor Articles Archive 64
C Leadership Drives Customer Focus Registered Visitor Articles Archive 0
C Improving the Quality of Leadership Registered Visitor Articles Archive 21
G Where to buy Template / sample SCSMS Manual, checklist Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
M Who needs a MDEL? How to buy and sell medical devices on my own Canada Medical Device Regulations 14
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G DFMEA buy-in strategies for Design Engineers APQP and PPAP 22
Q Buy American Act - COTS confusion Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Marc Buy-Sell Forum Cleaned Up - 20181029 Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 0
G Where to buy Medical Grade Transformer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
V IATF 16949 - Buy PDF copy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C Where to buy the latest MHLW, Canada MDR, Brazil medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Marc Where do you buy your ISO and other various standards? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Fender1 Operator process buy-in - how to get it? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
ernieto Where can I buy ISO-15223-1 CD with graphic symbols? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
I Where to buy ISO 10001, 10002, 10003 & 10004 (latest) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J Where to buy English translation of Chinese Standard GB/T 14233 China Medical Device Regulations 8
M Terms "Customer-directed sources" and "Directed-Buy" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Where can I buy the ISO 9001:2015 Standard in pdf? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D TS16949 requirements for for Directed Buy Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5