Discovered dishonesty after performing an internal audit

Mr Roo

Registered
I performed an internal audit of Design.
Concerning design planning, specifically documented evidence of new product design input and approval, the Engineering manager specifically stated in an email interaction that new product design has been "absent" in the past 12 months due to supporting sales. [product renderings, minor product tweeks, customer configuration drwgs, etc].
I accepted his reply and noted it in the IA report.
Three weeks later an entirely new product was released to Sales, product we have not manufactured before.
From my perspective, this is out-right dishonesty with the intent of deception.
I will add that he has never 'bought into" the purpose/goal of ISO-9001, and seems to do the very minimum to comply with the standard.
I have considered notifying upper management, but unless a situation impacts the "bottom-line" they are rather disconnected, and historically there are no consequences.
Looking for peer opinions: How would you manage this scenario?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
You are in a tough situation, no matter what action you take. Management failure to 'buy-in' is a common problem, and unfortunately there is no easy solution to it. Too many see your certification as just another 'check mark' to show to customers, without fully understanding the value that can be derived from having a TRULY functional QMS.
Personally, I would schedule ANOTHER audit of the process. Since you are now aware that there IS a new product launch, then you can request to review the documentation for it.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
From my perspective, this is out-right dishonesty with the intent of deception.
Be careful not to jump to conclusions and go back and ask the Engineering Manager when the design development cycle for this newly released product line took place. You mentioned focusing specifically in design planning what takes place early in the cycle. It might very well happen that the planning phase for this new product took place a couple of years ago.

If you do confirm, however, that the Engineering Manager concealed the existence of a recent product design activity from you, I would bring this to the attention of whoever is in charge of the internal audit process and let them deal with the ramifications of the acts.

Good luck.

ChrisM

Involved In Discussions
Whilst I generally agree with what Sidney has written above, but when you conducted the audit, did you ask to see a register of projects and establish that there were no "new" projects with product names or code names that were new to you? If there was an attempt to hide such a register, that is another area to follow up on; I suspect that a discussion with your audit planner is required, to add an additional internal audit of your design process based on what you have said in your original post. Your Quality Department Head should certainly have been aware of any forthcoming new product since they should have been involved with the Quality Planning and other tasks during the development cycle - check with them if they were previously aware of this "new" product

BradM

Leader
Admin
Not to veer too much from the main topic, I did want to say how nice and refreshing it is to see an internal auditor take their job seriously and want to do a good job. By your post, it would seem you neither wrote up something without maybe doing full due diligence, nor did you just say 'meh. Not important. I'll just move on. '

I like when auditors seek to gain some input from other folks on things, to be a better auditor and produce better quality audit findings. (y)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shimonv Device deficiencies (~complaint) discovered during a clinical trial ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M How to apply IEC 62304 Problem Resolution Process for bugs discovered prior to release i.e. during initial development? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
AnaMariaVR2 Ancient statue discovered by Nazis is made from meteorite Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Ron Rompen Looking for counter for my inspector to tally the number of defects discovered Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Newest element discovered: "Governmentium" Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
M Customer discovered electrical failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
M Observations vs. Preventive Actions discovered during Audits General Auditing Discussions 18
C Performing Additional Inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D ISO 13485--Question regarding performing calibrations in house. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Who is performing quality control? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
AllTheThings ISO-17025 accredited TEST lab performing internal calibrations (Yes: Here is how) ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Sequence of performing risk assessment: User_FMEA (User Errors) vs Design Inputs FMEA and Control Plans 1
Y Performing product audits in a manufacturing facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
armani ISO 9001:2015 - How to apply 7.1.5 to an organization performing only design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Performing PQ on a Small (tabletop) Air Heat Treating Oven ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Thoughts on performing an ISO 9001:2015 Remote Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H Performing a TUS on a Furnace used at One Temperature - AMS2750-E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
drgnrider EMR performing audits of EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
C Performing an ISO 9001 based Supplier Audit - Multiple Supplier Facilities Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Performing a Gage R and R with No Specification Range Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Going Rate for Performing a Supplier Audit? Consultants and Consulting 1
B Performing MSA on Straightness of a Cylinder Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C Performing a MSA as it relates to Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Performing a MSA on a new gauge using different parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Production Operators Performing GP12 (General Motors Containment) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
L How is the interaction physically happening while performing ANOVA GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Exam for Personnel performing Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B Performing a Gage R&R Study with Minitab 13 Using Minitab Software 5
M Requirements for Laboratories performing ASTM Tests Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J 5.15 or 6 Sigma? What multiplier to use when performing a Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A SOP for performing Annual Product Reviews for Medical Device and Pharma Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D Severity or Occurrence? Performing an FMEA on Motorcycle Operation FMEA and Control Plans 9
K Performing PPAP Retroactively APQP and PPAP 8
H Proprietary Processes - How to Protect and still comply when performing an FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Performing Internal Calibrations - Dial gauges, micrometers, height gauges, calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D External Parties performing Internal Audits? TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
JoCam Budding Consultant: What to charge for performing a desktop study. Career and Occupation Discussions 10
Miner Upcoming article - Within-part variation when performing an R&R Imported Legacy Blogs 6
D Performing Internal Audit of our Accounts System Internal Auditing 4
S Performing Internal Audits as per Canada MDR GD 210 Internal Auditing 7
E Minimum data for performing an Anderson Darling Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Difficulties in performing MSA on Rockwell Hardness Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
G Performing an Internal Audit on the Cost Estimating Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
6 Badly Performing Packaging Machines Manufacturing and Related Processes 1