Discussion: The RAB (Registrar Accreditation Board)

Randy

Super Moderator
The RAB itself!

RANDY: Why don't we start a thread on the RAB iself?

ANSWER: Good idea Randy, why don't you start it off?

RANDY: Okie, dokie, not a problem.

Here's are questions that I have asked the RAB on the phone and by email (to more than one person by the way).
1. Why should I tell people to seek auditor certification thru the RAB instead of IRCA or SCC or anyone else? My answer...(0, zero, nada, nothing, nichts, zilch).

Another question...
2. If serving as a Witness Auditor is a duty of a registered Lead Auditor, why doesn't the time that is served in that capacity count towards maintenance of that credential? If you want the answer to that either stand in line with me or refer to #1 above.

How about these.....
3. If I am in possession of a document from one of your representatives stating that I have met all of my recertification requirements over that last 3 years, why are you just now trying to verify my materials?

4. Why was I told 6 months prior to my recertification that I had fulfilled ALL of my recertification requirements and only had to submit my fees for the following year, and now find out after the fact that you may not renew me?

5. Who's fault is it that I defered performing audits to train future auditors under the belief that I had fulfilled my requirements?

This is a good one too...
6. Why does IRCA recognize audits performed as an individual and the RAB require at least 2 people to be on a Team to have an acceptable audit?

The final was a doozie...
7. Why doesn't the RAB support its own auditor certification program and only hire RAB auditors to perform its audits of training organizations and registrars?

Guess what guys? I haven't gotten a response to any of them yet!

It seems that with personnel turnover (rivaling ENRON it seems) and all the other issues they deal with I'm just a voice in the wilderness.

Anybody else have similar issues or want to jump in?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Can anyone give a list of dependencies? Like the RAB is associated to the ASQ by ......

I don't think the RAB has ever been accused of Rapid Response, has it?

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I had this on file but do not know where it came from:
RAB-accreditation body of Quality and Environmental System Registrars (jointly with ANSI), accreditation of auditor course training providers (jointly with ANSI) and certification of auditors. RAB was established by the ASQ in 1989. Legal status is an affiliate of ASQ.

A

Aaron Lupo

I can honestly say i have not really had any major problems with the RAB. I have never had any paper work rejected.

Why RAB and not SCC or IRCA IMHO the RAB is more widely recognized.

They have never rejected any witness audits I have submitted for my recertification.

If you have the letter that states you acheived the requirements for recertification send it to them. That should take care of #3 and #4 on your list. #5 should be a mute point with the letter.

RAB has never rejected any audits I have done for maintaining my credentials just becuase they were done alone. I know you need to complete X amount of audits as the lead with at least one other person on the team and be on site at least 2 days for it to count towards your lead certification.

#7 I am not sure what you are asking.

In my experiences with the RAB I will admit they have not always been fast but they have responded to me with in a day or so if they were unable to anwser me at the time. JMHO

Randy

Super Moderator
Let me put it this way.....

There has been no attempt to verify the audit logs I turned in for 2000 & 2001 until now. The organization that I performed many of the audits for no longer exists and many of the people needed to verify are out of touch (2 I know of are in IRAQ and another in Qatar). The RAB assured me, as of October 2002, that I had successfully met all of my 3 year recert requirements and only had to submit the fee (I have a copy of the email). I subsequently refrained from performing additional audits in lieu of performing training classes instead. I have in the last few days been informed that I may not have enough audit time and the time spent as a witness auditor does not count. Now answer this question....Should my fanny be a little chapped or not?

The other question I have is....Why should I or any other registered Lead serve as a witness auditor for anyone else (other than for the $)?

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Is it possible that the differences you two have seen is due to the fact that Randy is dealing with the EMS auditor certification board and ISO GUY is dealing with the QMS board? At least that's who I assume you're dealing with based on other posts by each of you. I've never had any real issues with them (QMS) either. Of course, you would think that they would be consistent in their administration of the rules... :bonk:

To answer your other questions:
  • No, your fanny should not be a little chapped. It should be a lot chapped.
  • You should serve as a witness auditor in order to better your fellow man and further the causes of improved auditing, peace, justice, and the American way. :D OK, what I really meant to say was just for the $$. :p

A

Aaron Lupo

Originally posted by Marc
A week.
I would say a week is fair as well, but I would also say it depends on what type of information you are looking for. In my experiences with the RAB it has never taken longer than a week for them to get back to me.

I think you also need to look at other factors that may cause them (or any company for that matter) to take longer getting back with you. How did you treat the person you spoke with, if you were nasty with them it is just human nature that they will put your request low on the list, now on the other hand if you are nice they may push it for you. Now I am not saying this is what happened in Randys case, maybe he spoke with a newer employee, or a lazy one. Not saying the RAB is good or bad just that I personally have not had a problem with them.

Randy

Super Moderator
Ask 'em why should RAB auditor certification be sought after instead of IRCA and see how long the response takes.;)

I've had a couple of pretty nice conversations all the way up to Cindy Miller that were nearly circular in nature. Right now the RAB is going to review the Witness Auditor issue and make a decision (about the same time that Lucifer gets frostbite probably) as to whether or not LA's that perform that function (Witness Auditor) can count the time as Lead time on audit logs (DUH!)

The last question I asked (May 29th) was:"If only LA"s can do it, why isn't it Lead time?. The immediate answer I got was "Because you didn't do the opening or closing meeting and write the report.

Opening and closing meeting? You mean go thru the prepared checklist of items to cover and maybe use6.5.1 & the associated practical help box of ISO 19011:2000 and 6.5.7 of ISO 19011:2000?.....gaoaoaolyyyyyyyyyy! Duh.

The audit report? Do you mean go to 6.6.1 of ISO 19011:2000 and follow the guidance of preparing the report? Gorsh, I'm just not that familiar with that task.

I really wasn't that nasty with my responses but give me a break (and everybody else too)!!! I also sur;prised them with the 19K11 stuff.

This whole thing is silly and if they had been on the ball the past 2-3 years this wouldn't be happening. They need to do some Preventive Action" and also start becoming concerned with customer satisfaction and meeting expectations.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R AMS2750 rev F discussion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
M Informational FDA discussion paper – Consideration of Benefit-Risk Approaches for Weight-Loss Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D How about another torque discussion? Assembly processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc Search - Search for Discussion Threads started by a specific User Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
V Discussion of ISO 9001:2015 - "Quality Objectives" term ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A Other Discussion Boards - Internal Auditor Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc GDPR - EU Directive 2016/679 and the Elsmar Cove Discussion Forum Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 3
H Dog and Pets Discussion Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
Marc Food Processors and Blades - Weekend Discussion After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Marc ASQ Linkedin Group - Microsoft Sharepoint discussion - June 2017 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
B Discussion on TC 176 and ISO 9001:2015 8.7.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
A Microcontroller: Discussion about EASA CM - SWCEH - 001 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Thoughts about Discussion Forums Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Plagiarism & Copyright Infringement Discussion Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
I Is there a Canadian Aviation Regulations discussion forum? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
Marc Measurement Uncertainty Discussion Sub-Forum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A AS9101 Rev E AATT Course Discussion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Routes to IEC 60601 Compliance: Discussion of Merits and Pitfalls IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
2 Discussion about Hospital Carts Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 7
Marc ISO 9001:2008 to ISO 9001:2015 - Changes Discussion ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Marc Just for fun - How did you find the Elsmar Discussion Forum Forum News and General Information 9
C Discussion about Accessory definition in the proposal of new EU regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
BradM FAQ Thread Discussion - ISO 9001 Quality Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Printed Circuit Board Assembly - General Discussion Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Hershal Climate (This is NOT a political discussion) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 27
D Electronic Paperless Documentation Software Discussion Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M ISO 13485:2015 Pre-Release News and Discussion ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 169
P Survey's without Response Rate - Surveys distributed by discussion forums Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
Q Fast Response Boards - Questions and a Discussion Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S NADCAP AC7102 rev F (new) - Changes Discussion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Setting up of a VD Max regime - VD Max 25 Discussion and Rationalisation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
BradM Strictly The Beatles - Discussion of a Legend Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 28
BradM New ASQ discussion board: Community forum ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 16
P Discussion with Plant Manager (on the basis of ISO/TS 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A I need help on Six sigma and TQM - Quality Management course discussion question Six Sigma 3
R Best and Worst Airports discussion Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 1
Hershal Reviving the discussion on ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
A Brief discussion about ISO 9001:2000 clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Corporate Culture - A general discussion Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 38
M Another discussion resource for JCAHO issues Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
P 2008-09 NFL Season Discussion Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 371
Hershal Other discussion or social places? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
O Quarterly Review with Suppliers - Discussion topics Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Marc Discussion Thread Titles and Post Titles - Importance of Titling and Title Changes Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 9
S Receiving Inspection Process methods discussion Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22