Disposing of a Medical Device

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
My customer has returned a medical device that was in use. It was determined that it cannot be repaired and my customer has asked me to dispose of it. It is not contaminated with any body fluids or such. It contains a lithium battery so I will be removing that and processing that through our recycling program. The circuit boards inside are RoHS compliant and lead free so I'm assuming I can just throw those and the rest of the unit in the dumpster??

Is anybody aware of any regulations or guidelines on the disposal of medical devices?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

joylc

My previous medical device employer required that the device be rendered unusable but I'm pretty sure that was for liability, not regulatory, reasons. Usually this was achieved via incineration at contract facility. However, there were instances where we just bent/cut/defaced items and put them in the garbage.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
My customer has returned a medical device that was in use. It was determined that it cannot be repaired and my customer has asked me to dispose of it. It is not contaminated with any body fluids or such. It contains a lithium battery so I will be removing that and processing that through our recycling program. The circuit boards inside are RoHS compliant and lead free so I'm assuming I can just throw those and the rest of the unit in the dumpster??

Is anybody aware of any regulations or guidelines on the disposal of medical devices?
Hi,

Medical devices disposal regulations usually cover design and labelling (as far as the manufacturer is concerned) and apply to the device population as a whole, not to a single unit. I think that in your case you should just treat it as you would have any other electronic appliance that you wanted disposed (with the added bonus that you actually know this one inside out). In short, I don't think there are "medical devices regulations" that apply to this disposal act, however there may be some general local regulations, depending on where you're located.

I recommend that if you have a local facility for disposal/recycling of electric equipment you drop it over there after rendering it unusable. Another aspect to consider is the (slim?) chance that that specimen might end up in the wrong hands in terms of competitive intelligence.

Cheers,
Ronen.

rob73

looking for answers
So long as the device is rendered inoperable (to stop unintended re-use) and the device is disposed of according to your local requirements (recycling, hazardous waste, batteries etc) you should have no problems.
We had a comment from our CB auditor about how our process waste was dealt with i.e as long as it was inoperable when disposed, he was happy. I have heard of instance where reject medical device have been resold as new by some enterprising goons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Document Control - Disposing of Outdated Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
S Disposing of Wooden Printer Pallets Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 17
ScottK Disposing of old hard drives - Best method to destroy data? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
J In-house (NHS) manufacture and use (by staff) of non-medical devices.. any regulations apply? UK Medical Device Regulations 2
N Medical device name in different countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
dgrainger Informational EC - Medical devices – online manuals replacing paper instructions - Feedback period: 27 April 2021 - 25 May 2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
V Medical Device Literature Translation Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R "Medical devices" required in scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R X-RAY Based Diagnostic Veterinary medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Z Over The Air (OTA) updates for medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H Tukery Medical Device Regulstion Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Brexit Mandate for EU Authorised Representative for non medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
A Canadian Safety Labels for medical electrical equipment Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
A Applicability of Photobiological Safety Evaluation for LED used in medical devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Medical device certificate in Australia - ARTG certificate Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Q Software as a medical device vs software not sold as medical device: local regulations for sale? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical device Product Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
T Google Fit Health datas and Medical devices Application Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical device labelling Date of manufacture US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
ebrahim QMS as per ISO 13485, Clause 4.2 Requirements for regulatory purposes for Medical Devices Authorized Representatives. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K 25-year lifetime of medical device - document storage period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Relabeling an existing medical device in the field? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Reliable sources for following EU medical device regulatory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T IVDR Medical device software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
A Customer Approval (Medical Devices) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
S Microwave medical waste disinfectant - A medical device or not? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
S Registration of Medical Device in Hong Kong - labeling requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Electrical Medical Devices class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Are complaints applicable to development of medical devices? Customer Complaints 2
V Software as medical device (SaMD) replicated for multiple clients through APIs IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
M Is the output of a device a Medical Device? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P Do we need to retrospectively use the "MD" symbol (indicating device is a medical device) on labels, e.g. finished devices within expiration date? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Do I need separation in my circuit with a medical charger? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
L Medical device registration in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P ISO 8 classified medical manufacturing room Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Brian Benzarti Medical Devices CLP Regulation Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Medical Device Regulations in Lebanon? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2