Disposing of a Medical Device

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
My customer has returned a medical device that was in use. It was determined that it cannot be repaired and my customer has asked me to dispose of it. It is not contaminated with any body fluids or such. It contains a lithium battery so I will be removing that and processing that through our recycling program. The circuit boards inside are RoHS compliant and lead free so I'm assuming I can just throw those and the rest of the unit in the dumpster??

Is anybody aware of any regulations or guidelines on the disposal of medical devices?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

joylc

My previous medical device employer required that the device be rendered unusable but I'm pretty sure that was for liability, not regulatory, reasons. Usually this was achieved via incineration at contract facility. However, there were instances where we just bent/cut/defaced items and put them in the garbage.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
My customer has returned a medical device that was in use. It was determined that it cannot be repaired and my customer has asked me to dispose of it. It is not contaminated with any body fluids or such. It contains a lithium battery so I will be removing that and processing that through our recycling program. The circuit boards inside are RoHS compliant and lead free so I'm assuming I can just throw those and the rest of the unit in the dumpster??

Is anybody aware of any regulations or guidelines on the disposal of medical devices?
Hi,

Medical devices disposal regulations usually cover design and labelling (as far as the manufacturer is concerned) and apply to the device population as a whole, not to a single unit. I think that in your case you should just treat it as you would have any other electronic appliance that you wanted disposed (with the added bonus that you actually know this one inside out). In short, I don't think there are "medical devices regulations" that apply to this disposal act, however there may be some general local regulations, depending on where you're located.

I recommend that if you have a local facility for disposal/recycling of electric equipment you drop it over there after rendering it unusable. Another aspect to consider is the (slim?) chance that that specimen might end up in the wrong hands in terms of competitive intelligence.

Cheers,
Ronen.

rob73

looking for answers
So long as the device is rendered inoperable (to stop unintended re-use) and the device is disposed of according to your local requirements (recycling, hazardous waste, batteries etc) you should have no problems.
We had a comment from our CB auditor about how our process waste was dealt with i.e as long as it was inoperable when disposed, he was happy. I have heard of instance where reject medical device have been resold as new by some enterprising goons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Document Control - Disposing of Outdated Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
S Disposing of Wooden Printer Pallets Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 17
ScottK Disposing of old hard drives - Best method to destroy data? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
P Medical device testing lab/service standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
G Labeling requirements for REFURBISHED medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L Selling medical devices from USA in EU markets CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Medical Device file and "Component" Manufacturers? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
rob3027 ISO 13485 justification for design and development exclusion for medical packaging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H Active Implantable Medical Devices - ISO 14708 and EN 45502 Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C Statistics/sampling plan for medical device Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Non-medical device testing in the medical system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
J Regulatory path to enter EU market for non medical 60601 component Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Training in D&D for engineers with no medical device experience Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
M Software as Medical Device import activities for Chile and Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Medical Device Indications for Use Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
dgrainger Informational Draft for comment - "reclassification of products without an intended medical purpose" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3
D Exclusion 4.2.3 Medical Device File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Lifetime of medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M UDI IVD Medical Device Class III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E How to risk assess tooling? For a medical device and is it needed??? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Definition of "Standalone" medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
B Spare parts of medical device need CE mark? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Medical Device AE Reporting SOP Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Class Exempt Medical Device Recall Question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Requirements for Exporting Medical Devices to Libya Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Technical Documentation for a medical device accessory Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
T Peru Veterinary Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Assembling technical file for a medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Request for information regarding remote medical monitoring software (its technical documentation and the IUD system) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
H Medical Devices Regulatory Intelligence for International Markets ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Class I Medical Device Registration EU Medical Device Regulations 11
V Retrospective validation medical devices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
K 2021/2226 on Electronic Instructions for Use (IFU) for medical devices Article 22 Packs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Telemedicine as a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Definition of disease as per medical device defintion EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
G No new regulations in Austria medical device register after 26th Mai, 2022 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A What activities are included in the action of marketing you medical device in U.S.? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Is there a definition of accessories for medical devices in China? China Medical Device Regulations 1
C Is there a list of products or classifications subject to medical device regulations in El Salvador? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Class II Active Medical Device SYSTEMS and COMPONENTS Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
B Rework of a medical device EU regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Interesting Discussion Chapter 7.5 of ISO 13485 for manufacturers of mobile medical applications ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Drawing Requirements for Catalog Items (Class II Medical Device) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Registration of medical devices in Greece EU Medical Device Regulations 0
V ADDING NEW MEDICAL DEVICE / Product, WHEATHER THIS AFFECTS EXISTING ISO 13485 CERTIFICATION? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4