Definition Disposition Definition - Disposition means Prevention of Recurrence?

Mezzaluna

Registered Visitor
Hi All,
I'm searching for a definition of the term "Disposition" in ISO. I have had a stack of NCR's returned from our Client because "The NCR do not identify a suitable disposition to prevent re-occurrence."

To my mind, dispositon has always been what you will do with the product, i.e. Rework, Repair, Regrade, Scrap.

I think HE thinks disposition means "means of prevention of recurrence"

I can't discuss this with him as he is off work.

Any suggestions on the definition? I got full access to ISO but can't find one. If I point him to an ISO definition then the can't argue.
Thanks in advance,

Mezz.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jeff Frost

Re: Disposition definition desparation

Actually your customers use of the term "disposition" seems to be in error. Disposition typically is defined, by most organizations, as an instruction that determines how a nonconforming material will be used (reworked, use-as-is, scrap). In the ISO 9000 Introduction and Support Package, document # N526, Guidance on the Terminology used in ISO 9001 and ISO 9004 defines disposition as action of dealing with things in a particular way.

What he is realy saying is that your corrective action has not identified the true root cause which must be corrected to prevent re-occurrence of the nonconformity. Most customers would not accept any root cause or corrective action that hints of a training issue. When you state training is the cause or that retraining will correct the nonconformity you are saying that the current trainer or training process is not effective and this nonconformity will reoccur.

Revisit your corrective action and dig a little deeper until you find the true root cause what will correct the nonconformity and the changes to be made will prevent re-occurrence of this nonconformity and nonconformity on other product produced by the process.

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Disposition Definition Desparation - Disposition means Prevention of Recurrence

Hi All,
I'm searching for a definition of the term "Disposition" in ISO. I have had a stack of NCR's returned from our Client because "The NCR do not identify a suitable disposition to prevent re-occurrence."

To my mind, dispositon has always been what you will do with the product, i.e. Rework, Repair, Regrade, Scrap.

Any suggestions on the definition? I got full access to ISO but can't find one. If I point him to an ISO definition then the can't argue.
Thanks in advance,

Mezz.
I believe that your client did use the term "disposition" correctly.

Although we in the quality field usually think of disposition as the determination if a product is scrap or not, that certainly is not the only case for it.

It looks like he was talking about dispositioning (or resolving) the NCR. He felt that you did not resolve the NCR in an effective manner that would prevent recurrence.

Paul Simpson

Re: Disposition Definition Desparation - Disposition means Prevention of Recurrence

I believe that your client did use the term "disposition" correctly.

Although we in the quality field usually think of disposition as the determination if a product is scrap or not, that certainly is not the only case for it.

It looks like he was talking about dispositioning (or resolving) the NCR. He felt that you did not resolve the NCR in an effective manner that would prevent recurrence.
I'll have to side with our half moon friend :)D) , here. It appears the customer has picked up on the word and assigned another meaning to it.

Disposition is about arrangement so when the product is found to be non-conforming the decision has to be taken on the 'action of dealing with things in a particular way' (or disposition) - i.e. scrap, rework, use under concession etc. all alternatives routes.

Now where the customer is right is where, having taken disposition action with nonconforming product as above they may expect you to apply the requirements of clause 8.5.2 and carry out corrective action including action to prevent recurrence of the nonconformity by eliminating the cause.

So in summary the disposition doesn't cover action to prevent recurrence but the customer may want this from you anyway. See various threads on 8d for example.

D

Duke Okes

If we want to know what the client/customer meant we should probably ask him/her. All else is conjecture.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Mezz.
I think you are correct. But, either way, I don't think your customer was asking you for a lesson in ISO definitions. He is focused on product issues. So, why not give him both things and be sure you covered it. Give him a corrective action that analyses the issues, root causes and proposes solutions that will prevent recurrance...AND...give them an answer as to how you will respond to whatever product has been identified, waiting for you to "disposition" it. In other words, address clause 8.3 and cl 8.5.2.

Big Jim

I'll have to side with our half moon friend :)D) , here. It appears the customer has picked up on the word and assigned another meaning to it.

Disposition is about arrangement so when the product is found to be non-conforming the decision has to be taken on the 'action of dealing with things in a particular way' (or disposition) - i.e. scrap, rework, use under concession etc. all alternatives routes.

Now where the customer is right is where, having taken disposition action with nonconforming product as above they may expect you to apply the requirements of clause 8.5.2 and carry out corrective action including action to prevent recurrence of the nonconformity by eliminating the cause.

So in summary the disposition doesn't cover action to prevent recurrence but the customer may want this from you anyway. See various threads on 8d for example.
The following definition is from www.dictionary.com

disposition:

"noun
1. the predominant or prevailing tendency of one's spirits; natural mental and emotional outlook or mood; characteristic attitude: a girl with a pleasant disposition.
2. state of mind regarding something; inclination: a disposition to gamble.
3. physical inclination or tendency: the disposition of ice to melt when heated.
4. arrangement or placing, as of troops or buildings.
5. final settlement of a matter.
6. bestowal, as by gift or sale.
7. power to dispose of a thing; control: funds at one's disposition.
8. regulation; management; dispensation: the disposition of god."

Pay particular attention to #5.

So your saying that you cannot call the final settlement of a nonconformance a disposition?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

The following definition is from www.dictionary.com

disposition:

"noun
the predominant or prevailing tendency of one's spirits; natural mental and emotional outlook or mood; characteristic attitude: a girl with a pleasant disposition.
state of mind regarding something; inclination: a disposition to gamble.
physical inclination or tendency: the disposition of ice to melt when heated.
arrangement or placing, as of troops or buildings.
final settlement of a matter.
bestowal, as by gift or sale.
power to dispose of a thing; control: funds at one's disposition.
regulation; management; dispensation: the disposition of god."

Pay particular attention to #5.

So your saying that you cannot call the final settlement of a nonconformance a disposition?
It's usually not helpful to bring dictionaries into a discussion of jargon. Regardless of precise denotation, most people in our business understand "disposition" in the sense of what's done with nonconforming material.

Having said that, I think a couple of things seem clear: (a) the OP should be careful about semantic pedantry when he's dealing with a customer who's returned a STACK of NCRs and (b) he should consider whether the fact that there is a STACK might have something to do with the customer's misgivings regarding his proposed corrective actions.

J

JaneB

It's usually not helpful to bring dictionaries into a discussion of jargon. Regardless of precise denotation, most people in our business understand "disposition" in the sense of what's done with nonconforming material.

Having said that, I think a couple of things seem clear: (a) the OP should be careful about semantic pedantry when he's dealing with a customer who's returned a STACK of NCRs and (b) he should consider whether the fact that there is a STACK might have something to do with the customer's misgivings regarding his proposed corrective actions.
Good advice on all counts. :applause:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Definition Definition of 'Disposition' when used in the context of ISO 9001 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 12
D Control of Records Definition - Controls needed and the 'disposition' of records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
T Does nonconforming product disposition include parts bought from the supplier? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J IATF 16949 Clause 8.7.1.7 Nonconforming Product Disposition - Scrap Rendered Unusable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 64
J IATF 16949 Clause 8.7.1.7 Nonconforming Product Disposition Compliance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 38
P Records Retention and Disposition - ISO 9001:2008 Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
B How to implement 4.2.4 - Disposition of Records in Electronic Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Monitoring Disposal (Disposition) of Documents and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q UAI (Use As Is) Disposition of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Disposition of Reject vs. Scrap Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
J AS9100 Control of Non Conforming Product - Personnel who make Disposition Decisions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 31
K Engineering Disposition on Defective Work Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Q Corrective Action - Disposition always Correction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Why are there different Nonconformance Disposition Names? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Disposition of NonConformances - "Meets Design Requirements" Dispositions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
M Document Disposition - Is a Control Plan a Record or Document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Disposition Help for categorization/meaning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Is Disposition Applicable if We are in the Service Side of the Industry? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
A Authority for Disposition of Nonconforming Product - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 15
Douglas E. Purdy Control of Disposition of Records - Record Retention - TS 16949 Clause 4.2.4.1 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
T Auditor States "Shall have Procedure for Disposition of Records" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 62
Crusader 4.2.4 Control of Records - Can someone please clarify "...and disposition of records" Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
M NCR Disposition Practices - Traceability of Scrap Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Z Disposition of Records - Describe HOW records are being disposed of? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
B Evidence of Disposition and Disposal of Quality and Related Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 36
M Corrective actions - The act of having an MRB review and disposition General Auditing Discussions 13
A Method of Disposition on Damaged Inspection,Measuring Test Equipment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
D BS EN 62304 - Medical-Relevant Data C.5 - Definition of IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Sample size definition in an Automotive SMT pilot lot run Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
J Here is my definition of Defect Mapping Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Z Definitive definition of design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
F MEDDEV 2.7/1 rev 4 and MDR - Definition of Description of Principles of operation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Definition of "servicing activities" - Spinal Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
C Function definition for DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
W Key functional characteristic definition - Tolerances and Deviations Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition Waiver - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
M Informational MHRA guidance – Assistive technology: definition and safe use Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Critical suppliers (Definition of) and MDSAP (Medical Device Single Audit Program) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
Pancho Definition Quality Assurance Program - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
U Hand-Held dosing device has no PATIENT - Interpretation of the PATIENT definition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L Medical Device Accessory - Health Canada guidance / definition on what an accessory is Canada Medical Device Regulations 3