Distance Education Question. (Online Degree)

D

deuce

I need some advice from all you Covers. I was looking through the latest issue of Quality Progress and in the advertising section I came across an add about California National University. They offer a bachelors degree in Quality Control and they "appear" to be accredited. Does anyone on here know anything about them? I am currently looking to further my education and, with my schedule, distance learning appears to be my only option. What I am trying to figure out is if I should go with something like CNU that has a degree that is relevant to my field or should I go with one of the state (I live in TN) sponsored programs that I know are accredited but are pretty much limited to General Education as opposed to quality. I already have an Associates Degree so I wouldn't be starting from scratch. I am also a CQE, CQT, and CQIA. I was just wanting to hear some other opinions on what I should do and thought this would be the best place to get them. Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
deuce said:
I need some advice from all you Covers. I was looking through the latest issue of Quality Progress and in the advertising section I came across an add about California National University. They offer a bachelors degree in Quality Control and they "appear" to be accredited. Does anyone on here know anything about them? I am currently looking to further my education and, with my schedule, distance learning appears to be my only option. What I am trying to figure out is if I should go with something like CNU that has a degree that is relevant to my field or should I go with one of the state (I live in TN) sponsored programs that I know are accredited but are pretty much limited to General Education as opposed to quality. I already have an Associates Degree so I wouldn't be starting from scratch. I am also a CQE, CQT, and CQIA. I was just wanting to hear some other opinions on what I should do and thought this would be the best place to get them. Thanks!
I can say without much threat of contradiction that if you are already a CQE, there isn't much more, if anything, contained in a Bachelor's program on Quality, regardless of the school.

Ask yourself the following questions:
  1. Am I taking the courses leading to a degree to learn something new or to have a "degree" to help bolster my credentials when job hunting?
  2. Do I intend to show up and pass through the graduation ceremony (if there is a graduation ceremony)?
  3. Will future employers be more concerned with WHERE I get my degree than what my degree major was?
  4. Is cost a factor?
  5. Are my credits for courses from my Associate Degree transferrable to the new school?
  6. Will any of these schools help me find a job after I get my degree? (Brick and mortar schools often have job placement services for alumni for life - mine does)
  7. If I decide to change schools later, will the course credits be transferrable?
Most important consideration of all: Will YOU be satisfied with the school and the courses? (By-the-by: "Accountants" are the most in-demand graduates today [probably thanks to SOX.])

D

deuce

Thanks Wes.

I guess I would just like to be able to say that I am "degreed." I currently have a good job with a good employer that I plan on staying with. I guess the degree is more of a personal satisfaction thing than anything. And if I were to ever have to go job hunting again, I know it would be much easier if I had a degree as a lot of places don't acknowledge the CQE.

D

dokes

Here are some of my thoughts:

- I agree with Wes that given your ASQ certifications, a BS in quality would likely not give you much new knowledge, and would in fact perhaps severely limit the number of positions for which organizations might consider it relevant

- Congratulations on thinking of going for a BS. In today's world, it is a basic qualification. Not necessarily for the content knowledge gained, but for the initiative shown in pursuing it and the cognitive skills that doing so will develop.

- The university you mentioned is not accredited by WASC (western US equivalent of SACS, which accredits schools in TN). There are on-line, no (or limited) residential programs offered by many schools which are accredited (Walden University, Nova Southeastern University, Fielding Graduate University). I've experienced at least one of them, and have found it quite rigorous.

- A lot of colleges/universities in TN offer accelerated BA/BS programs in Organizational Management, or similar titles. These are cohort programs where you attend class once/week with a group of folks over about a 17 month time frame, and get a degree (the associates degree is a key aspect of being able to qualify for such a program). I've been thru 2 of them (one at BS level, one at MA), and although they are not as rigorous as many traditional degrees, you can finish them quicker and adapt the learning more to what you want, rather than just what the professor wants you to hear.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Having both a BS (in chemistry/biology) and an MS in management, I would vote for going to an accredited business school. With your CQE and the business degree, you will "bring a lot to the table". Someone who can solve problems using statistics and has a good head for business would be someone I would hire in a second!

If you need on-line, try U of Phoenix or Colorado Technical U on-line. I know CTU has an accredidation.

--QG

R

rose24m03

degrees in quality or regulatory

for regulatory, there are San Diego State University and Northeastern University. UC Santa Cruz and Cal State Hayward also have classes.

for quality, there are San Diego State University and Cal State Dominques Hills.

there are other universities as well. check www.raps.org for more

as for ASQ certificates, certification is good only if your employers (basically your boss) recognizes your achievement. If your boss doesn't think highly of the ASQ certificates, no matter how many certifications you got, it ain't do you any good UNLESS YOU CHANGE JOB. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Minimum Distance from Floor to Underneath of Machine Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 5
D Interpolation of creepage distance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B IEC 60601 - Creepage Distance - Relay that acts as a means of physical mechanical protection Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 0
K IPC-610 Section 10.4.2.2 clarification - Distance to be measured Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
S Some confusion about the creepage and clearance distance? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Creepage distance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
F Holes position inspection - Calculation of centre distance and plug sizes of a gauge Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
E Creepage distance accross insulation of step up transformer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Internal clearance distance according to 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Bachelor of Engineering Course - Distance learning Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
L Patient Monitor Viewing Distance Usability Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
G Creepage and Clearance Distance for MOOP on Secondary Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
JoCam Equipment Guarding - Safe Distance - Is there a specified minimum distance? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
Steve McQuality Creepage Distance - Definition and Interpretation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
V How to design a gauge (fixture) for measurement of distance between two hole Design and Development of Products and Processes 23
C Storage distance between flammable & non-flammable goods - guidelines/standards? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Marc TV Viewing Distance Factor After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
S Advice on Distance TS 16949 Auditor Training General Auditing Discussions 1
Stijloor Google Voice - Free long-distance? Oh yeah, Google's going there After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
hogheavenfarm Reference Distance - Print which shows "1.656 REF" as a dimension Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Distance between two holes tolerance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
F Maximum walking distance for assembly line worker Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 28
P What is Distance learning course? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
Q Aerospace Quality related Distance Training/Learning/Exams Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Marc Distance Learning - From ivory tower to academic sweatshop Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Wesley Richardson Internet distance training voice over IP (VOIP) for internet synchronous training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
N Distance Learning - Quality Management and TQM - Seeking Recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A Distance Learning where I would be able to obtain a 4 year degree in Quality? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 Design for an education services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Informational FDA Invites You to the 2019 Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) Annual Conference Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Quality Assurance/Quality Control in Education Consultacy Service Industry Specific Topics 14
M Continuing Education for Quality Professional (Online) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
M Education - Jobs Requiring a College Degree Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A Audit Finding on 6.2.2 - Education Requirements not Verified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R ISO 27001 A.8.2.2 Information Security Awareness, Education and Training IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
AnaMariaVR2 Value of a Higher Education Career and Occupation Discussions 19
I Education: Master Quality Management & Master Thesis Career and Occupation Discussions 8
L Environmental Targets - Services to the Education Sector Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M ISO 9001 Certified Education Company - Defining the Product & Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Anybody in the Education Industry? Service Industry Specific Topics 18
G I need education in Quality Management Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
AnaMariaVR2 Warning letter addresses lack of training/education 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 22
V CE Marking for Device under (Research and Education) Non Medical. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Advice on Further Education for Practitioner interested in Quality? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D HR (Human Resources): Matrix of Competence in USA - Education Level aspect ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
V What documents are required for Education and Training in AS9100 Internal Auditing 3
C Education vs. Training - Training effectiveness program ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Interpretation of Clause 7.6 in the Education Field (IWA 2) Service Industry Specific Topics 7