SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Distributing Medical Devices in Belgium - Specific Registration Requirements

C

cjr978

I was hoping that someone on the forum may be able to help. Our German subsiduary wishes to start distributing product in Belgium. All our of products a CE marked Class I and IIa surgical instrumnets and Class IIb surgical implants.
My understanding is that Belgium do not have any special registration requirements in addition to the usual CE marking activity. However the German team seem to believe there are registration requirements with associated costs and a 6 month time delay.
I am assuming they may well be confusing registration for sellling purposes with a requirement to get hospitals and/or insurance companies to actually agree to use our devices - but cant find anything useful on the internet to help.
Can anyone help clarify the situation for me.
Many thanks
Chris

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bio_subbu

Super Moderator
I was hoping that someone on the forum may be able to help. Our German subsiduary wishes to start distributing product in Belgium. All our of products a CE marked Class I and IIa surgical instrumnets and Class IIb surgical implants.
My understanding is that Belgium do not have any special registration requirements in addition to the usual CE marking activity. However the German team seem to believe there are registration requirements with associated costs and a 6 month time delay.
I am assuming they may well be confusing registration for sellling purposes with a requirement to get hospitals and/or insurance companies to actually agree to use our devices - but cant find anything useful on the internet to help.
Can anyone help clarify the situation for me.
Many thanks
Chris

Hi Chris

I don’t know exactly whether any special registration required to import medical devices into Belgium or not. But, you must have an authorized representative to put your product on the European market, Why don’t you enquire with them?. I understand that there are specific requirements regarding the use of languages (the information must be provided at least in the national languages: French, dutch and german) and the notification of distribution activities for some devices. The information is available on the website http://www.afmps.be. I would request you to find the information in aforesaid website or else contact directly to below address;

Federal Agency for Medicines and Health Products,
Health Products Division,
Place Victor Horta 40, boîte 40
B - 1060 Brussels
Phone: + 32 2 524.83.22
Fax: + 32 2 524.81.20

Regards
S.Subramaniam

C

cjr978

Thanks everyone, its sounding like my initial suspicions are correct.

I will use the links suggested to contact the competant authority and get something on the record to this effect. That will keep our people happy that we arent breaking any laws

W

Wendy0519

Sorry for troubling. I have a question regarding this.
We are a Non-EU medical device manufacturer which has CE and ISO 13485 certificate. Doctors from UK and Belgium hospital would to use our product ( category IIb) now, but we don’t have any distributors in the Europe.

I would like to know,

1) Could we sale our product from China to EU hospitals directly?
2) If so, is there any specific requirements for hospitals?

moounir

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

If you are located outside EU, you'll need first to appoint an Authorized Representative. This is someone that is located in Europe and will represent your business.

As soon as you have that, you can check for a distributor. The Authorized Representative can help you register your products if it is on your agreement.

Let me know if this helped you.

Regards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Distributing Replacement Parts for Class II Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
A Marketing & Distributing Definitions - FDA to pull non-510k devices off the shelves Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
E Distributing CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) to Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A Who is responsible for distributing SOPs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V CE marking and RUO (Research Use Only) products - Distributing in vitro products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Self-Certication - Distributing Steel - 3 People - Need advice Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
P Retention Samples for medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Obsolescence of the Medical Device in Various Countries Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
A IT-NETWORK in PEMS Sub-Clause 14.13 for Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
G Medical Device - Borderline/Definition EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P European Medical Device Nomenclature (EMDN) and CND EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Reseller Request to Change UPC on Medical Device via Re-labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
D Hand Held medical device - power supply requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Medical device applicability to WEEE Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Medical First Article - Can it be a Delta? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Informal vs formal scope creep... managing non-medical devices through system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical Device Label Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Calling a medical device a medical device (when it might not be one..) UK Medical Device Regulations 29
B Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Book - Fundamentals of Medical Device Regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J In-house (NHS) manufacture and use (by staff) of non-medical devices.. any regulations apply? UK Medical Device Regulations 6
N Medical device name in different countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
dgrainger Informational EC - Medical devices – online manuals replacing paper instructions - Feedback period: 27 April 2021 - 25 May 2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
V Medical Device Literature Translation Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R "Medical devices" required in scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R X-RAY Based Diagnostic Veterinary medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Z Over The Air (OTA) updates for medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H Tukery Medical Device Regulstion Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Brexit Mandate for EU Authorised Representative for non medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
A Canadian Safety Labels for medical electrical equipment Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
A Applicability of Photobiological Safety Evaluation for LED used in medical devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Medical device certificate in Australia - ARTG certificate Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Q Software as a medical device vs software not sold as medical device: local regulations for sale? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical device Product Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
T Google Fit Health datas and Medical devices Application Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical device labelling Date of manufacture US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
ebrahim QMS as per ISO 13485, Clause 4.2 Requirements for regulatory purposes for Medical Devices Authorized Representatives. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K 25-year lifetime of medical device - document storage period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Relabeling an existing medical device in the field? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Reliable sources for following EU medical device regulatory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T IVDR Medical device software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
A Customer Approval (Medical Devices) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4