Distributions associated with Bathtub Curve

leaning

Involved In Discussions
Hello!

I'm trying to make one sheet to take the place of most of my notes. This diagram combines many of the pictures and concepts I've found into one slide, but I need you folk's help.

The areas of the curve are defined by various distributions. I listed them at the top in red, but can't find anything to show what section of the curve goes with which distribution. I found that the green line is from the exponential distribution, but what about the yellow and brown and blue curves? So, names without homes. I can't find any diagram to this detail that helps with this.

If anyone sees anything else wrong or that could be added, please let me know.

All the best,
leaning

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The blue bathtub curve arises from superimposing the brown, yellow and green curves upon each other.

The most common distributions have already been identified for you in red at the top of the chart. The decreasing failure rate is the brown curve, the constant failure rate is the green line, and the increasing failure rate is the yellow line.

The brown curve may also be described using the loglogistic distribution, The yellow curve may also be described by the logistic, loglogistic, and smallest extreme value distributions.

leaning

Involved In Discussions
Miner,

Thanks for your reply. I knew about what the blue,yellow, green, and brown curves were represented AFA failures, just not what distributions go with each. AFA the red text above the areas, I put those there. I want to break this down better still and color the red text to match the curve that goes with it. So is it like this?

Green (constant failure): exponential
Brown (decreasing failure): lognormal or Weibull B<1 or loglogistic
Yellow (increasing failure): normal or lognormal or Weibull >1 or logistic, loglogistic, and smallest extreme value distributions.

But then I have a "Weibull B=1" left over not associated with a curve.:frust:

??

Regards,
leaning

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Green (constant failure): exponential, Weibull B=1
Brown (decreasing failure): lognormal or Weibull B<1 or loglogistic
Yellow (increasing failure): normal or lognormal or Weibull >1 or logistic, loglogistic, and smallest extreme value distributions.
Now it is correct.

Note: The exponential distribution equation results when you take the Weibull distribution equation, set B=1 and simplify the equation.

leaning

Involved In Discussions
Miner,

Perfect! Thanks for sticking with me through this. :agree1:

For this forum, would you rather we remove the Version 1 attachment and then replace it with a Version 2, or keep the Version 1 on here, and attach the Version 2, 3,4 with it?

Regards,
leaning

leaning

Involved In Discussions
Miner,

One other thing I want to add. If look at the attached, it has formulas for the various sections. I know that B is for the constant section. Which one is for the 1) decreasing and 2) increasing failure sections?

?

Regards,
leaning

Attachments

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
One other thing I want to add. If look at the attached, it has formulas for the various sections. I know that B is for the constant section. Which one is for the 1) decreasing and 2) increasing failure sections?
A is incorrect. It is a product of a failure rate and time and would result in the number of failures, not a reliability.
B is incorrect. Lambda is the failure rate, not the reliability.
C is incorrect. It is the product of a failure rate and a constant reliability.
D is the correct formula for constant failure rate

Lambda is only applicable to an assumed exponential distribution and would never be used in a formula for an increasing or decreasing hazard rate. The correct formula would depend on the equation for the assumed distribution.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Can Minitab 15 Chart Geometric Distributions with Very Low Defect Rates? Using Minitab Software 2
C Purpose of using different Distributions to solve Reliability Problems? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Percentile Values for weibull, exponential and 3 parameter logonormal distributions Six Sigma 10
S Distributions - You can't approximate everything with central limit theorem? Six Sigma 12
G Running simulations using Bernoulli Distributions with a certain probability. Using Minitab Software 5
A ANSI Z1.4 or Z1.9 for non-normal distributions? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Charting Bi, Tri or More Modal Distributions to combine results from two machines Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D Control charts for non-normal distributions - Do I need to do anything special? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
R Unidentifiable distributions? 2 sets of data - p Value less than 0.05 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 34
N Capability Calculations: Non-Normal Distributions and One Sided Distributions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Capability - How to calculate Capability Indices for Non-normal Distributions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
A Non-normal Distributions in Statistical Process Control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
A Out of Control patterns for non-normal distributions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Non-normal Distributions in SPC - How do I Normalize Data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 55
A Poisson & Bi-Nomial Distributions: What's the difference? When to use? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
T Calculating DPMO for Exponential Distributions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Change Control - Product Name Change and its associated labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S ARMY AQL - Requirements which don't have an AQL associated with them Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Informational RIVM – Summary International Expert Meeting on breast implant-associated lymphoma Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA – Breast Implant Associated- Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) – Letter to Health Care Providers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Risks and Opportunities associated to Legal Compliance - 6.1.3 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
J Rules associated with introducing new QMS processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q Risks and opportunities that could be associated with the purchasing department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M ISO 14644 - Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments -Recovery Test Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
T Struggling with ISO 13485:2016 Clause 6.2 - Level of Risk Associated with Work ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Can 1 TS 16949 certificate be associated with 2 different Duns numbers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Y Versioning of Forms associated with an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D Quantifying Cost Benefits associated with a Particular Task Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
R Associated Documents List within a Procedure - What is necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Document Changes (Revisions) and associated Risk Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
P Pressure Corrections and associated MU for Dead Weight Testers Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
G Relation b/n Process Failure Mode RPN Value and the associated Process Failure Cost FMEA and Control Plans 3
R Text associated with EN 980 Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
B Who should create training associated with changes to the procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Difficulties associated with implementing a QMS - AS9100 Startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G Costs associated with setting up new medical device QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
smryan Several questions about TS 16949 including associated ISO 9001 certificate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Why OHSAS 18001:2007 makes no reference to 'Targets' associated with Objectives? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 24
L Capability Calculation/Error associated to faulty normality distribution assumption Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
H ISO 9001: 2008, 01. General:..... or the risk associated with that environment. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M ISO 9001 Requirements for associated service - Design and develop software Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
QChas The Source of "C=0 Sampling Plans Index Values (Associated AQLS)" AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
M Issue a CAPA if there is a corrective action associated with a complaint? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
T Aspects Impacts associated with the company's products - Nonconformance Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
D Costs Associated with APQP APQP and PPAP 2
J How many secondary/supporting documents will be associated with the new DIS version? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5