Distributor and 21 CFR Part 820.50 Purchasing Controls

M

MJW66

My company distributes a class I medical device in the USA that we receive from the Initial Importer. It does carry our name such as, "Manufactured for Company XYZ" to show the exact nature of this relationship. We've had issues with the Initial Importer and further upstream, the non-compliance gaps to various parts of the QSR with respect to the manufacturer. We have been trying to resolve these issues with the manufacturer, albeit somewhat unsuccessfully. Although I know that these need to be resolved, I have always argued that strictly from a regulatory responsibility, we are exempt from 21CFR820.50 Purchasing Controls. My basis is that since we are a distributor of this device, we are not part of the definition, manufacturer, as articulated in 21CFR820. However, my company is also a registered manufacturer of medical devices where these regulations obviously do apply. Can I rightfully take the stance that we are exempt from Purchasing Controls with respect only to this private branded distributed device?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
My company distributes a class I medical device in the USA that we receive from the Initial Importer. It does carry our name such as, "Manufactured for Company XYZ" to show the exact nature of this relationship. We've had issues with the Initial Importer and further upstream, the non-compliance gaps to various parts of the QSR with respect to the manufacturer. We have been trying to resolve these issues with the manufacturer, albeit somewhat unsuccessfully. Although I know that these need to be resolved, I have always argued that strictly from a regulatory responsibility, we are exempt from 21CFR820.50 Purchasing Controls. My basis is that since we are a distributor of this device, we are not part of the definition, manufacturer, as articulated in 21CFR820. However, my company is also a registered manufacturer of medical devices where these regulations obviously do apply. Can I rightfully take the stance that we are exempt from Purchasing Controls with respect only to this private branded distributed device?
I estimate that unless the manufacturing operations and the private label distribution operations are very clearly separate (e.g. 2 distinct geographic locations or the like), it's going to be difficult to argue differential application of regulations, on a product-line basis. It may be legal but complicated nonetheless.

Please also note that specification developers (who do not manufacture) are not automatically entirely exempt from part 820. Who is the specification developer / owner?

Last edited:

Gert Sorensen

Forum Moderator
As far as I know, what it comes down to is the manufacturer of the device in accordance with the definition of the FDA.

21 CFR 820.3, (o):
Manufacturer means any person who designs, manufactures, fabricates, assembles, or processes a finished device. Manufacturer includes but is not limited to those who perform the functions of contract sterilization, installation, relabelling, remanufacturing, repacking, or specification development, and initial distributors of foreign entities performing these functions.

So, for this specific device:
If you fit the above then 21 CFR 820 is relevant for all aspects of your operation.
If you do not fit any of the above, then you do not need to have comply with 820 for this product.

The entire responsibility lies with the manufacturer.

However, as a distributor you are required to have MDR procedures in place for the device as described in 21 CFR 803, and your device registration has to indicate that you are also a distributor, under 21 CFR 807.25(b), the owner or operator of an establishment, in its registration, "shall identify the device activities of the establishment such as manufacturing, repackaging, or distributing devices.

M

MIREGMGR

Two or three Warning Letters have been issued over the past few years in circumstances similar to yours, where a distributor of a problematic medical device is also a Registered Establishment and manufacturer of other medical devices of their own.

The gist of those Warning Letters, as I understood them, was "theoretically you aren't subject to this rule, but because you're a Registered Establishment we're going to ding you anyway because your approach wasn't consistent with the spirit of the rules and you either knew that, or should have".

M

MJW66

Two or three Warning Letters have been issued over the past few years in circumstances similar to yours, where a distributor of a problematic medical device is also a Registered Establishment and manufacturer of other medical devices of their own.

The gist of those Warning Letters, as I understood them, was "theoretically you aren't subject to this rule, but because you're a Registered Establishment we're going to ding you anyway because your approach wasn't consistent with the spirit of the rules and you either knew that, or should have".

That is an interesting thought and I could see where the FDA may take "liberty" to extend purchasing controls over a distributed product, which would obviously not be listed as a device in the company's FDA registered listing. With that being said, it is the "spirit of the rule" that makes it troublesome for me. If they meant to include distributors in the spirit of the rule, then they should have listed distributors as responsible for 820.50.

I didn't realize it until last night, but I asked this question 2 years ago: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=41569

Post #5. You responded in post #6.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is appreciated.

K

Katalina

Do you happen to recall the specifics of any of the warning letters so that I might look them up?

M

MIREGMGR

No. I review all medical device Warning Letters in the weekly report, but I only index the ones that I regard as relevant to my employer's operations, and we do relatively little distribution and in any case are unlikely to be gigged for those operations because we apply our full QMS to them.

Gert Sorensen

Forum Moderator
Do you happen to recall the specifics of any of the warning letters so that I might look them up?
Try searching the fda website's warning letter section for paragraph 820.50 and refine the search for distributor or distribution. That should get you close to what you are looking for.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Distributor?s Role in 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
P Economic operator responsibilities - when the Importer is also Distributor - Article 13 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L Global distributor vigilance responsibility Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 14
T Translation of IFUs and software by Distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S When does a Distributor become a Specification Developer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D CB Certificate - Distributor for a product with electrical components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B Roles of Manufacturer vs. Importer vs. Distributor CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Obligation for Distributor in MDD/MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B AS9100 Multiple Distributor warehousing locations under same Company AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
JoshuaFroud CE Marking and Brexit - Product shipped to a distributor prior to the March deadline EU Medical Device Regulations 2
BLoganB UDI for former manufacturer - My company is a distributor Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Use of non-ISO 9001 Supplier - Purchasing through a distributor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Selling Medical Devices in Canada - Distributor? Private Label? Canada Medical Device Regulations 10
M 13485- DHR requirement for a distributor? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Are zero defect sampling plans relevant to AS9120B Distributor AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
D Sampling method that is representative of the devices supplied by that distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 5
supadrai Countries where you should (absolutely?) avoid appointing a distributor ... Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
A NCR, NCMR, CAPA, Deviations - Medical Device Distributor Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
M Manufacturer - Distributor (Importer) Relationships Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Customer Complaint Definition - Food Distributor Customer Complaints 5
P Adding an additional distributor to a current Mexico Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
V Inspection of Initial Importer/ Distributor Products and Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L PSW Requirements for a Distributor APQP and PPAP 1
O ISO 9001:2015 - 8.4 Control of externally provided-Distributor & drop shipments.... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Fatima444-4 Local Medical Device distributor registration UAE Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Distributor of Medical Devices - Is ISO certification required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
pittmatj Sri Lanka - Agent/Distributor owns registration? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
A Implementing Risk Management in a Medical Device "Distributor Only" company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Colin Application of ISO 13485 to a Medical Device distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Raw Material - List Distributor or Manufacturer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Setting up a Medical Device Distributor in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
M Austria Medical Device EU Distributor Registration EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Korean Licence Holder - Importer - Distributor Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Resterilization of Disposable Medical Devices by a Distributor Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
Q ISO13485 Section 7.5.1.1 and 7.5.2.1 for a Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Finding a hardware supplier/distributor compliant with RoHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M US FDA Medical Device Distributor Regulations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K FDA definitions - Repackager vs. Domestic Distributor US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D 7.5.2 Validation of Processes for Production and Service Provision - Distributor AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J Size of Medical Device Distributor Logo EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W Chinese Distributor Making Counterfeit Products - Class I sterile products China Medical Device Regulations 2
K Certificate of Foreign Government (Distributor in Mexico) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H PPAP for a US$2 Part Purchased from a local Distributor APQP and PPAP 3
Q Distributor Contracts and Exporting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Validity for Thailand Medical Device License and can change Distributor thereafter? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T Can an Authorized Representative also be Distributor? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Responsibilities of a distributor in European market EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R Can a Distributor perform Packaging Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1