SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Distributor requirements in US

I have searched and can not find a definitive answer on this for US. My company wants to distribute needles and syringes, class II devices. We are only distributing, label does not have our name (manufactured in China). Manufacturer is registered and has 510k. I received the product samples and there is no UDI. Can I distribute? I would think not as it’s not approved for distribution in the US due to the lack of UDI but has 510k. What are my requirements/liability for distributing unapproved product?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Hi soreillyasp,
Welcome to the cove. Sample products (not for human use) are not required to have UDI.
You should ask the manufacture about it. I would not distribute a product when I know for sure that it does not meet one of the FDA regulation.

-Shimon

monoj mon

Quite Involved in Discussions
I received the product samples and there is no UDI. Can I distribute?
When someone sends samples from outside the US, usually a sentence such as "samples only, not for human use" should be written on it. And you are not supposed to distribute it for human use. The product meant for distribution will have proper UDI on it.

I am curious to know what do you mean by this! We also send our devices to the US for distribution and I expect my client in the US would ask me 'samples' for quality check only, not for distribution.
What are my requirements/liability for distributing unapproved product?

Sorry let me clarify. The manufacturer sent me samples of finished product with the labeling (it is product that they already make) that are not for distribution. The samples were for me to review to determine if I would like to place an order. The samples and therefore the finished product does not have the UDI

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W MDD Distributor Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
L PSW Requirements for a Distributor APQP and PPAP 1
E Labeling Requirements for an Implantable Medical Device Distributor 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A FEMSA (Coca-Cola Distributor) Requirements for Suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
M Requirements for Distributor of Prescription Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T QMS & CE Mark requirements for an EU Market Distributor/Trader CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
I Medical Device Distributor Requirements in the UAE Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
L Distributor Registration - FDA Registration Requirements for a Distributor 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q US Distributor Record Retention Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Casana OEM Distributor and Dealer TS 16949 Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R 510K Requirements - Looking to be a "distributor" for a medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
W Distributor Requirements for Sterile Disposable Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Distributor Requirements - Vigilance and Traceability ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A ISO 9001 Requirements for Warehousing Data (Records) - Medical Device Distributor Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
T Supplier subcontracting requirements and Distributor requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Addition of IFU on local language by distributor - Article 16? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
U Distributor obligations under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Penalty to MD distributor or manufacturer? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Reporting REACH - Electronic components distributor REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
V Packaging in Distributor Practices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Sampling method for Distributor verification activities EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L 'Distributor' definition & MDR/MSR relationship EU Medical Device Regulations 3
XRAY_3121 New Job with Wholesale Distributor Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
C Combination Products - Distributor of the device? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Y Distributor for a SaMD Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
Q MDD - distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Who should be listed as the manufacturer/distributor on the box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
P Economic operator responsibilities - when the Importer is also Distributor - Article 13 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L Global distributor vigilance responsibility Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 14
T Translation of IFUs and software by Distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S When does a Distributor become a Specification Developer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D CB Certificate - Distributor for a product with electrical components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B Roles of Manufacturer vs. Importer vs. Distributor CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 26
K Obligation for Distributor in MDD/MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B AS9100 Multiple Distributor warehousing locations under same Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
JoshuaFroud CE Marking and Brexit - Product shipped to a distributor prior to the March deadline EU Medical Device Regulations 2
BLoganB UDI for former manufacturer - My company is a distributor Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Use of non-ISO 9001 Supplier - Purchasing through a distributor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Selling Medical Devices in Canada - Distributor? Private Label? Canada Medical Device Regulations 10
M 13485- DHR requirement for a distributor? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Are zero defect sampling plans relevant to AS9120B Distributor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Sampling method that is representative of the devices supplied by that distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 5
supadrai Countries where you should (absolutely?) avoid appointing a distributor ... Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
A NCR, NCMR, CAPA, Deviations - Medical Device Distributor Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
M Manufacturer - Distributor (Importer) Relationships Other US Medical Device Regulations 2