Disturbing news - No decline in medical errors

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm a long time member of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. My news feed brought me some upsetting news this evening
Despite Efforts, Study Finds No Decline in Medical Errors

But experts say some safety initiatives may take time to bring results

By Maureen Salamon
WEDNESDAY, Nov. 24 (HealthDay News) -- Despite intensive efforts to improve patient safety, a six-year study at 10 North Carolina hospitals showed no decline in so-called patient "harms," which included medical errors and unavoidable mistakes.

Sorting through patients' medical records from more than 2,300 randomly selected hospital admissions, teams of reviewers found 588 instances of patient harm, which included events such as hospital-acquired infections, surgical errors and medication dosage mistakes.

While most harms were minor and temporary, 50 were life-threatening, 17 resulted in permanent problems and 14 people died, said the researchers, who selected North Carolina hospitals because the state has shown a strong commitment to patient safety. The admissions records spanned the period from January 2002 to December 2007.

Study author Dr. Christopher Landrigan said the results likely reflect what's happening nationwide. A 1999 Institute of Medicine report publicizing high medical error rates spurred many U.S. hospitals to implement safety-promoting changes, but no uniform set of guidelines exists to direct facilities which changes to tackle, he said.
Any suggestions on what we, as Quality professionals can offer to improve the statistics?

When I was much younger, I sat in on a mortality and morbidity session at a hospital my firm was financing. I offered one suggestion on a minor change and was treated with scorn. The exact words, burned into my memory, were, "You are here to observe as a courtesy to the hospital Chairman. That does not give you the right to speak. Only healthcare professionals may actually participate or even ask questions."

I suspect some of those old attitudes may still be prevalent among healthcare professionals still suffering from a "god complex." What has been YOUR experience?

After all, these folks claim they were "trying" to improve, but SIX YEARS of no results implies their efforts were misdirected.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteveK

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Wes,

I don’t know about improving statistics, but if you think things are bad in the US just look at this recent UK story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11696735

My experience of ‘healthcare’ (is that an oxymoron?) is don’t get ill enough to be admitted to hospital – it is a dangerous place to be – this is from personal (near death) incidents. But getting back to statistics, I guess from sales enquiries etc for our medical devices, I could gather some useful quality data. This would focus on the number of ‘healthcare’ professionals who do not know how to use (or know what they are for) some fairly simple medical devices.:mg:

Steve

rob73

looking for answers
The biggest bugbear I have with the medical profession is the ability and attitudes of some to close ranks to protect on another when something goes wrong. There have been instances where devices that have "failed" are destroyed before we can investigate, then the medicals staff will swear blind that something went wrong with the device even though you can show that it would be physically impossible to do so.:mad:
Until the medical profession can hold its hands up and show complete transparency when something goes wrong, things will never improve.

I can say though that I do have the greatest respect for these people. I know they work under extremes of pressure and they often quite literally hold people lives in the hands and for the majority do a great job so a big :applause:for them.
Rob

Wes Bucey

Hi Wes,

I don’t know about improving statistics, but if you think things are bad in the US just look at this recent UK story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11696735

My experience of ‘healthcare’ (is that an oxymoron?) is don’t get ill enough to be admitted to hospital – it is a dangerous place to be – this is from personal (near death) incidents. But getting back to statistics, I guess from sales enquiries etc for our medical devices, I could gather some useful quality data. This would focus on the number of ‘healthcare’ professionals who do not know how to use (or know what they are for) some fairly simple medical devices.:mg:

Steve
the problem is world-wide - the situation revolves around whether the healthcare people have enough clout to bury (pun intended) their mistakes without retribution.

Wes Bucey

The biggest bugbear I have with the medical profession is the ability and attitudes of some to close ranks to protect on another when something goes wrong. There have been instances where devices that have "failed" are destroyed before we can investigate, then the medicals staff will swear blind that something went wrong with the device even though you can show that it would be physically impossible to do so.:mad:
Until the medical profession can hold its hands up and show complete transparency when something goes wrong, things will never improve.

I can say though that I do have the greatest respect for these people. I know they work under extremes of pressure and they often quite literally hold people lives in the hands and for the majority do a great job so a big :applause:for them.
Rob
I agree with the transparency issue, but my initial post shows transparency, but also ineffective "corrective action." WHY are their actions ineffective?
What can we Quality professionals do to steer them right?

rob73

looking for answers
[FONT=&quot]This is local to me,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/uk-england-devon-11824592
Frankly I do not care how many apologies the management give and how many assurances that "things are better now", its too late for the "victim" and their relatives. I find it a very sad state of affairs, I have no confidence that NHS management or the health department will change things (in a positive way) any time soon.
Rob.

[/FONT]

rob73

looking for answers
I agree with the transparency issue, but my initial post shows transparency, but also ineffective "corrective action." WHY are their actions ineffective?
What can we Quality professionals do to steer them right?
Not sure about the US, but the NHS is overladen with middle management who's sole purpose is to collect and report on operating efficencies and targets, apparently there are more administrators than doctors in some hospitals.
Maybe retraining some of these "administrators" to be safety officers or auditors following a proper QMS based reporting system and ensuring a good continual improvement and CAPA process would be a good start.
Rob

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I don't know details about what this group of health centers did, but in a different study - Boston, I think - I recall reading that using checklists in the operating rooms reduced problems like "re-entry" (to retrieve a sponge or something) by 30 percent.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

SteveK

Trusted Information Resource
Training with respect to quality (and thus quality of care) is an issue – as I have already alluded to. Only few hours ago a Medical Devices Trainer contacted us about an oxygen flowmeter (for oxygen therapy) as used on hospital wards. Apparently our Operating Instructions (OIs) were too complicated (they are not!). Quote “although this (OIs) is useful it’s not really suitable for our ward areas etc as they need a more basic, how to change a flowmeter, how to read it etc”. Note: nurses nowadays have degrees!

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Enraged Customers fuel a disturbing trend Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
M Medical Device News FDA News - 03-10-18 - CDRH FY 2019 Proposed Guidance Development and Focused Retrospective Review of Final Guidance Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 26-09-18 - FDA Reveals Vision for the Transition to ISO 13485 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Medical Device News FDA News - 24-09-18 - CDRH Releases Collaborative Communities Toolkit Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 14-09-18 - Benefit-Risk Factors to Consider for Substantial Equivalence Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA news - 17-09-18 - Agency's commitment to studying breast implant safety Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA news 14-09-18 - Recognition and Withdrawal of Voluntary Consensus Standards Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Medical Device News FDA news 14-09-18 - Use of Voluntary Consensus Standards in Premarket Submissions Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M Medical Device News FDA - Eliminating Routine FDA news 14-09-18 - Re-Review of Third Party 510(k) Reviews Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 13-09-18 - FDA works w/ tech industry to promote digital health innovation Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 12-09-18 - MD Submissions to Electronic Format to Improve Efficiency Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA news -11-09-18 - Review of Cybersecurity into Premarket Review Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 07-09-18 - FDA Encourages Use of Enteral Device Connectors Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 06-09-18 - FDA - Quality in 510(k) "Quik" Review Program Pilot Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA news - 05-09-18 - Draft - Uncertainty in Benefit-Risk Determinations Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 27-08-18 - 2018 Learning program and GUDID updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Edward Reesor Canadian News article on impact of MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Sidney Vianna Good news! Energy demand will peak for the first time in human history! Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
Marc Yahoo probes possible huge data breach - BBC News - 2016 World News 1
S The Media (news, etc.) as an Interested Party ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
somashekar Amtrak crash ... Any news about the cause World News 3
G Not quite old news: Statement of Applicability IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
J Help I need your opinion on a News Letter Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
AnaMariaVR2 DIA (Drug Information Association) 2013 Highlights & News US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Any news about IEC 62304 2nd edition IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M ISO 50001 Certification News - DNV Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
AnaMariaVR2 GMP News: New Version of ISO 19011 on Auditing published Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
Jim Wynne Breaking News: FAA Announces Ban on Plane Crashes Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
Y FDA News bulletin: It's the FDA's fault! FDA at Fault for Poor Quality Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
Randy News!!!! Randy = Almost a Great Grandpa Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Crusader Shocking News in Registrar Audit Today Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
T US Crime (1970 through 2010) - News Article World News 5
M ISO 13485:2015 Pre-Release News and Discussion ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 169
P News from IATF page - New SI and FAQ for Rules ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
Colin Bad news/good news day Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
Jim Wynne Breaking News: Concentric Circles Threaten Oddly-Shaped Green Things! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Sidney Vianna AS/EN 9120:2009 for Distributors - News from the IAQG website AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
Sidney Vianna AS/EN 9110:2009 for MRO organizations - News from the IAQG website AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
P News Thread - Robber becomes sex slave in Moscow?? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 14
Wes Bucey "Downsizing" ramifications - Evaluating and Interpreting the News World News 0
Jen Kirley In the news: Checklist said to save lives and $ in medical errors World News 5
N News Letters for Employee Awareness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A ISO/ IEC 17000 new revision any news? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
A Any news about the next ISO 9001 revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Jim Wynne Never believe early news reports Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
A ISO 17020:1998 Revision News - When will ISO 17020:1998 be Released? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M Any News about the FAA 14CFR Part 121 / 145 Requiring Accredited Calibration? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
N Any news from AutoTech 2007? World News 5
J Bad news for Spain. Delphi anounced yesterday the closing of Delphi Cadiz Plant World News 17
C Slow News Week Stories Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 10