DMM Multimeter - Perform a complete MSA study?

M

Miguel Gonzalez

I have this question.
Looking at the MSA manual, I noticed that all examples are referred to mechanical instruments (calipers, micrometers, plug gages, pin gages, etc.) and I was trying t find an example of an electronic device like an oscilloscope or mutimeter, etc.
My question is;
If I have a multimeter in my control plan, do I have to perform a complete MSA study?

C

Christian Lupo

Miguel-

"Complete" in the context of an MSA study is a relative term, or depends on the equipment. You can do a "complete" MSA study on a voltmeter (or any of the other equipment you mentioned) if all you are checking is Bias, linearity, and stability.

M

Miguel Gonzalez

Thanks for the fast response.
Actually, my question was more related to know if electronic devices (eg. multimeters)are to be considered into the msa element.
If yes, In case of a multimeter which it is used to measure DC Voltage, Do I have to perform bias, linearity and stability studies for that range only?

C

Christian Lupo

If the multimeter is listed in the control plan you must perform an MSA in the range the instrument is used.

M

Miguel Gonzalez

Christian,

Thanks for your inputs.
Your comments pretty much help me to solve my problem.

L

labgianpi

i have a similar problem, to perform bias, linearity and stability studies, how many and which points do you use for every range?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
I have this question.
Looking at the MSA manual, I noticed that all examples are referred to mechanical instruments (calipers, micrometers, plug gages, pin gages, etc.) and I was trying t find an example of an electronic device like an oscilloscope or mutimeter, etc.
My question is;
If I have a multimeter in my control plan, do I have to perform a complete MSA study?

I suggest doing a thorough uncertainty study, then you will know everything that the DMM contributes to a given measurement.....then if you need to do MSA, you have all information on the meter, so you only need other contributions.

Top Bottom