DMR and DHR - Two requirements, One Document

QA-Man

Involved In Discussions
I am working on creating DMR's & DHR's for a repacker/relabeler (very basic stuff).

The plane is to make the the DMR & DHR the same document two-sided single page document. Is there anyone out there who's done the same? Maybe you have some thoughts/examples you can share?

I would love to see some creative unorthodox approaches!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

A DMR has no relationship to a DHR. One is design documentation and manufacturing directions, the other is manufacturing batch/lot/unit records. Not the same thing.

How would a DHR, even for a single step process, fit on one side of a single sheet...unless perhaps the product is only to be made once...?

QA-Man

Involved In Discussions
A DMR has no relationship to a DHR. One is design documentation and manufacturing directions, the other is manufacturing batch/lot/unit records. Not the same thing.

How would a DHR, even for a single step process, fit on one side of a single sheet...unless perhaps the product is only to be made once...?
DMR is recipe on how to make the device. The DHR is the record of these activities. How can you say they have no relationship?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
DMR is recipe on how to make the device. The DHR is the record of these activities. How can you say they have no relationship?
DMR can have many components, one of which can be the recipe as you state.
In our case one such the recipe is the assembly flow. An other is the bill of material (BoM).
We have the BoM (copy of the BoM from the DMR) on one side of the paper of the DHR with additional field that captures the traceability details of the materials used in a lot. The back side has the assembly flow (copy of the assembly flow from the DMR), with additional field to capture quantity started and quantity pass at each stage and the signatures of the process inspector at several in-process stage.
When any changes happen with the assembly flow or the BoM, the engineering issues a new revision of the DHR format.
This can easily be done. But then our DMR has much more info than just the BoM and the assembly flow sequence.
If i am understanding you correctly, your plan is good...

QA-Man

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Somashekar.

I imagine most DMR's would have more than just the recipe. However this site is only repackaging/relabeling finished products. No inspection/testing other than checking that the component's match the BOM and a visual examination. After that, its just a matter of putting the product in a box and slapping a label on. This is the only thing they do at this site and I want the number of their documents and forms to be minimal.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks Somashekar.

I imagine most DMR's would have more than just the recipe. However this site is only repackaging/relabeling finished products. No inspection/testing other than checking that the component's match the BOM and a visual examination. After that, its just a matter of putting the product in a box and slapping a label on. This is the only thing they do at this site and I want the number of their documents and forms to be minimal.
Good thinking ... Who controls that DMR must also control the DHR form. Pretty much I see it similar to our approach.

M

MIREGMGR

I didn't say that.

It sounds as if maybe you think the DHR is a form for recording the production activities for a given production batch. That would be incorrect.

The DHR is the records themselves of every production batch, within the time window for which you retain such records.

FDA requires you to have a controlled DHR, i.e. complete set of production records. Whether you have a particular form for recording your DHR information is your call. FDA cares about the result, not the method.

So if you make fifty batches of a device per year and retain records for five years on a rolling basis, eventually your DHR would contain 250 batch records...or some number between 250 and 300 if you only discard obsolete records once a year, say after your fiscal year rollover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P DHF, DMR and DHR in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Are DMR (device master record) and DHR (device history record) inspected by FDA or audited by an NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
V What is required in terms of the DHR, DMR, DHF? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
Q DMR-Device Master Record vs DHF-Design History File vs DHR-Device History Record 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 50
T DMR/DHF/DHR/Batch Records/Master Batch Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M DMR, DHR and DHF physical form 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
Sam Lazzara Medical Device File (MDF per 13485:2016 4.2.3) versus FDA Device Master Record (DMR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R DMR or Manufacturing Documentation - How detailed does the documentation have to be? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Foreign Manufacturer and DMR - Who keeps the DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S DMR (Device Master Record) for Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
D Design Outputs vs DMR (Design Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Is an index necessary for DMR or DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S Quality Plan at a small Medical Device Company - Is the quality plan a DMR document ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Merge Technical File, DMR, and Device File into a single document? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
I DMR (Device Master Records) and similar for standalone software device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S DMR (Device Master Record) Management and Index questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
S Difference between DMR procedures vs. QMS procedures? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
O Distributors and ISO 13485 - DHF and DMR Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
U Document Revisions Required in DMR Index? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
J Referencing the DMR (Design Master Record) in the PO Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P DMR (Device Master Record) for Class I and Class II Dental Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C Do I need to show fasteners in my BOM's/DMR etc? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Re-Verification of Nonconforming Product prior to closing our DMR AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
T Manufacturing Process Deviation linked to DMR (Discrepant Material Report)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B DMR (Device Master Record) For Contract Manufacturers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
C When to submit a 510(k)? After the DMR (Device Master Record) is finished? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
B Format for Discrepant Material Report (DMR) - Nonconformance Report (NCR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Contents of DMR (Device Master Record) when manufacturing is by 3rd party 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A DMR (Device Master Record): What is meant by these words - Software Specifications? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
D DMR (Device Master Record) Index as a Controlled Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
E Need help establishing a DMR (Device Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S What do we need for a DMR? Importer of Record and Going Crazy! 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
D What kind of DMR must a Medical Importer have? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
B Format of Device Master Record (DMR) for Combination Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Dealing with Outsourced Processes in a DMR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Device Master Record (DMR) that was compiled by another company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Which supplies/suppliers need to be listed in DMR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Update DHF (Device History Record) when DMR (Device Master Record) changes? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
V Medical Products: CE Marking - Are the DMR's, Technical Files, DHF, required? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
C Technical Documentation, DMR, ISO 13485 vs. FDA, STED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Structure and Content of DMR / Technical Documentation (FDA vs. ISO 13485)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
W DMR (Device Master Record) Revision Requirements? FDA GMP Manual 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Medical Device DMR's - List of the Marketing or Market Penetration documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
M What Marketing/Market Penetration information should go on the DMR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S FDA expectation of Concessions - Changes to a DMR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
sardonyx DMR Index - Can someone share their Device Master Record Index structure or format? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
V Examples of Defective Material Reports (DMR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M DMR - Device Master Records - What is the best way to structure the DMR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 55