DMR (Device Master Record) Management and Index questions

We're a fast growing Medical Device company that markets different types of kits in multiple configurations. Haven't seen recent info on Device Master Record management so I have several questions:
What is the most effective way to set up the DMR index to properly maintain? Should there be individual DMRs for each kit?
Should there be one DMR for each type of kit and let the BOMs be the vehicle for explaining the different configs?
Should the revision level and DCO of the items be included on the index?
Should the DMR index itself be revision controlled?

Thanks in advance!
SquirrellyGirly

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
We're a fast growing Medical Device company that markets different types of kits in multiple configurations. Haven't seen recent info on Device Master Record management so I have several questions:
What is the most effective way to set up the DMR index to properly maintain? Should there be individual DMRs for each kit?
Should there be one DMR for each type of kit and let the BOMs be the vehicle for explaining the different configs?

Thanks in advance!
SquirrellyGirly
Hi,

If you have a large number of different kit configurations / sub-variants (and are fast growing, as indicated), I recommend managing your configurations / BOMs / DMR index electronically, using some config management / PDM software package / ERP module. You could then integrate all your DMR revision aspects into that system, since most such packages manage all BOM revisions anyway. Make sure to reflect the control rationale and mechanics in you quality SOPs, and you're good to go.

Please feel free to contact me in a PM if you need a closer assistance.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Thanks in advance!
SquirrellyGirly
The 21 CFR Part 820.181 would be a great start for Device master record

Regarding your questions,

DMRs need not be for each device but could be for each type of device

See earlier response

Prefered not; just mention the title and document number without the Revision number.

Yes

J

jouana

I have a follow-up to the original question. Is it necessary to include SKU configurations and accessories of a device for other countries on the DMR? What about for a RMA version of the same device? Does the modified configuration need to be within the same DMR or would it need a separate one?

"J"

QA-Man

Involved In Discussions
I have a follow-up to the original question. Is it necessary to include SKU configurations and accessories of a device for other countries on the DMR? What about for a RMA version of the same device? Does the modified configuration need to be within the same DMR or would it need a separate one?

"J"
I believe it is best to have the DMR be nothing more than a list of referenced documents (without revisions indicated) and then have one DMR for each SKU. The DMR's can reference the shared documents (e.g., work instructions) but also list specific documents (e.g., labels)

The RMA version sounds like a repair...yes? Specific servicing work instructions that are routinely used should be in there and should meet the same acceptance criteria as in the DMR.

I agree with Ronen that it should be electronic. If you can incorporate it into the ERP/MRP as he said, even better. Talk with Operations/IT. If you can get work instructions and other documents added to the BOM as non-inventoried items the BOM can be the DMR.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I believe it is best to have the DMR be nothing more than a list of referenced documents (without revisions indicated)...
Has that practice successfully gone through an FDA inspection? I feel that an MDR without the revisions indicated misses the point of an MDR, and necessitates other means for unambiguously identifying the effective design and production process.

I second the approach that the MDR can be no more than a set of pointers, though.

Last edited:

QA-Man

Involved In Discussions
Has that practice successfully gone through an FDA inspection? I feel that an MDR without the revisions indicated misses the point of an MDR, and necessitates other means for unambiguously identifying the effective design and production process.

I second the approach that the MDR can be no more than a set of pointers, though.
MDR? I assume a typo.

The answer is yes but only once. In this instance, the DMR was nothing more than a procedure that described what types of documents make up a DMR for a given item number. Not even a reference list.

I caution you against using inspection-worthiness as criteria. You have to remember that inspections are not like ISO audits, they're very subjective and often have irrational results. Also, inspectors also have very different core competencies. It is not unusual for a device company can be inspected by someone who primarily deals with food. The bias is often obvious. Further, companies in the US "fix" things in response to observations even when they feel they are compliant just to move on.

NicoleinFlorida

Inactive Registered Visitor
Hello cove,

I have a similar question. So based on the discussion, the DMR is not suggested to include revision of each individual document. Then my question is how to control the revision of DMR.

According to the DHR (Device History Record), the record shall show that the manufacturing process completes all activities in the DMR. If we don't know the revision, how could we make sure that the most updated version of procedures or instructions are used?

Thank you.

QA-Man

Involved In Discussions
It's a good question.

The components (work instructions, labels, etc.) themselves have revision levels. Your document control system should have a provision for considering the effect on other documents. Your document control system should also be robust enough to prevent obsolete documents from being used.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sam Lazzara Medical Device File (MDF per 13485:2016 4.2.3) versus FDA Device Master Record (DMR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Are DMR (device master record) and DHR (device history record) inspected by FDA or audited by an NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Foreign Manufacturer and DMR - Who keeps the DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S DMR (Device Master Record) for Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
I DMR (Device Master Records) and similar for standalone software device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P DMR (Device Master Record) for Class I and Class II Dental Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
B DMR (Device Master Record) For Contract Manufacturers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
C When to submit a 510(k)? After the DMR (Device Master Record) is finished? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Contents of DMR (Device Master Record) when manufacturing is by 3rd party 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A DMR (Device Master Record): What is meant by these words - Software Specifications? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
D DMR (Device Master Record) Index as a Controlled Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
E Need help establishing a DMR (Device Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q DMR-Device Master Record vs DHF-Design History File vs DHR-Device History Record 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 50
B Format of Device Master Record (DMR) for Combination Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Device Master Record (DMR) that was compiled by another company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
W Update DHF (Device History Record) when DMR (Device Master Record) changes? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
W DMR (Device Master Record) Revision Requirements? FDA GMP Manual 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
sardonyx DMR Index - Can someone share their Device Master Record Index structure or format? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M DMR - Device Master Records - What is the best way to structure the DMR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 55
S Quality Plan at a small Medical Device Company - Is the quality plan a DMR document ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Merge Technical File, DMR, and Device File into a single document? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Medical Device DMR's - List of the Marketing or Market Penetration documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P DHF, DMR and DHR in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R DMR or Manufacturing Documentation - How detailed does the documentation have to be? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Design Outputs vs DMR (Design Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Is an index necessary for DMR or DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
V What is required in terms of the DHR, DMR, DHF? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
S Difference between DMR procedures vs. QMS procedures? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q DMR and DHR - Two requirements, One Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
O Distributors and ISO 13485 - DHF and DMR Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
U Document Revisions Required in DMR Index? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
J Referencing the DMR (Design Master Record) in the PO Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Do I need to show fasteners in my BOM's/DMR etc? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Re-Verification of Nonconforming Product prior to closing our DMR AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
T Manufacturing Process Deviation linked to DMR (Discrepant Material Report)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B Format for Discrepant Material Report (DMR) - Nonconformance Report (NCR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S What do we need for a DMR? Importer of Record and Going Crazy! 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
D What kind of DMR must a Medical Importer have? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
B Dealing with Outsourced Processes in a DMR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Which supplies/suppliers need to be listed in DMR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Medical Products: CE Marking - Are the DMR's, Technical Files, DHF, required? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
C Technical Documentation, DMR, ISO 13485 vs. FDA, STED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Structure and Content of DMR / Technical Documentation (FDA vs. ISO 13485)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T DMR/DHF/DHR/Batch Records/Master Batch Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M What Marketing/Market Penetration information should go on the DMR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S FDA expectation of Concessions - Changes to a DMR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M DMR, DHR and DHF physical form 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
V Examples of Defective Material Reports (DMR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3