Do all Class 1 Medical Devices (Electrical) have to comply with IEC60601-1?

C

curiousone

Hi all-
I am a little confused, do all class 1 medical devices (electrical) have to comply with IEC60601-1? My understanding is that Class 1 do not as long as they are non-invasive and do not come in contact with the patient.
Also, do they need to have EMI testing done, or is this for Class 2 and higher?
I thank you in advance for your help.:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulGr

Re: IEC 60601-1 3rd Edition Certification - New Products Only?

I assume you are asking about European regulations (MDD)? Manufacturers must be able to show compliance with the MDD essential requirements for all medical devices including class 1. To show compliance, reference to harmonized standards is expected including 60601-1 and 60601-1-2.

Using these standards is not mandatory and you can document an alternative way to show compliance with the essential requirements. So the formal answer to your question is no. However, for both standards, I have not yet seen examples of alternative approaches...

Anyone else?

Paul

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator
As far as documenting compliance with standards, there is no difference for Class I, I*, IIa, IIb and III. For electrical medical equipment that contacts the patient (or exchanges energy), EN 60601-1, EN 60601-1-2 and all the other applicable harmonized standards should be used irrespective of the device classification.

The different classes only changes the amount of third party review by a notified body. For Class I, in general there is no review. For Class I* (which includes devices with measurement and/or sterile parts) and above, a certificate is required which acts as evidence of third party review.

Also note that while no standard is mandatory, the path for not using a standard still involves checking every individual clause and requirement, and providing an alternate solution if the device does not comply with that particular requirement. So it's impossible to ignore a standard altogether and practically the "alternate solution" is only used for rare individual clauses that have some special reason why compliance is difficult, not for whole standards.

C

curiousone

Peter and Paul,
Thank you for your insight. I am not worried about the classification as I am about the requirement for testing. The device in question is a Class 1 device that does not come in contact with the patient, nor does it supply energy to the patient. The device itself has no contact with the patient. I was curious if IEC60601-1 applies to this device or would the Low Voltage Directive show compliance to the ER's? :bonk:

60601-1 (and 60601-1-2) apply to all classes of electrical medical device.

However your device, with no applied parts and not suppling energy, will be exempt from many (but not all) of the clauses within the standard.

If you need to have a test lab involved you will need to go through the standard(s) beforehand to identify the clauses that do not apply; otherwise you will be paying them a lot of money to do non-relevant testing.

S

SteveK

Pads is right on the issue with test houses, if the device is as indicated lots of clauses (probably 60+%) will be N/A and you could do the relevant testing yourself (apart from EMC) e.g. rub test (7.1.3). Lots of the clauses will be covered in other parts of a TF i.e. Risk Management File, IFU, Usability File as well as just being statements of fact e.g. address/item label present (7.2.2), symbol used (7.6.2), colour of indicator lights (7.8.1) etc. Oh, and do not mix up directives. A medical device is covered by the MDD, the LV Directive is for non-medical products.:2cents:

C

curiousone

Pads and Steve,
Many thanks for the information. Here is a question for you; the device in question is used to heat water for moist heat therapy packs (like a hydrocollator). Would this still be considered a medical device then?
Regardless, we will need to purchase the Standard then? :notme:

S

SteveK

Not really familiar with these water heaters/therapy pack combinations - but a quick Google certainly shows a Hydrocollator System that has been tested to UL 60601-1 by a medical device (ISO 13485) company. Does that make it a medical device? I am not 100% sure - you could just stick these therapy packs in a pan of hot water. Does that make a pan a medical device?

Steve

R

RA gal

I would suggest starting with your intended use (from your own labeling/IFU). Then, refer to Article 1 of the MDD to determine if your product is a medical device. It is basically up to the manufacturer to decide. However, if you are indeed making a medical device, ALL devices, no matter their classification, are required to meet the Essential Requirements in Annex I, which includes electrical safety. There are also definitions in Annex IX which explain what constitutes an "active" device. Hope this helps!

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator
First the issue of whether it is a medical device: it depends on the intended purpose in the instructions for use and advertising. Is a pen a medical device if it is used to record diagnostic information? In general no, because the pen manufacturer does not state such a purpose, but it is possible if the manufacturer claimed the pen to be specially made for medical use. Same deal for the heater for therapeutic packs: it will depend on the IFU and advertising.

Next, I would disagree in principle with the application of EN 60601-1. If there is no contact or exchange of energy with the patient, EN 60601-1 does not apply. The definition of "medical electrical equipment" does not include such equipment, and the scope clause clearly says this.

There are many examples of electrical medical devices under the MDD where EN 60601-1 does not apply. For example, a printer for X-ray film, a sterilizer, endoscope washing device.

For these devices, there is no harmonized standard, however IEC 60950-1 (for IT equipment) or IEC 61010-1 (for laboratory equipment) are appropriate. For a heater it seems IEC 61010-1 might be appropriate.

It is common practice to use EN/IEC 60601-1 out of scope (e.g. by UL) and it might be convenient to do so. The market is confused about the correct standard. But keep in mind it is the wrong standard and may expose all parties to some liablity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Stability sampling for Class 1 medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Electrical Medical Devices class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S How is the service life for class I reusable medical devices described in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life described for class I reusable medical devices in MDR? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
M Post Market Surveillance for Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Special Controls and Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 18
H Clinical evidence for Class II medical devices in EU and US EU Medical Device Regulations 6
N How to look up all Class 1 medical devices on sale in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
E Different requirements for Class II and Class III Medical Devices Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
D Applicable MDR Annex's for Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q MDR Effectivity date for Legacy Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Distributing Replacement Parts for Class II Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
Y Informational Change control process - Major vs Minor change - Active class III medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
Z Direct Part Marking (DPM) requirements for Class II Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Design Control for Class I Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Can Class IIa Dental Medical Devices be sold into the EU without CE EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J MDR 2020 for Class 1 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Importing Medical devices class I in EU Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
S Scope change in Japan - Class I disposable medical devices Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
M Who polices/surveils Class I Medical Devices in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
L List of Regulated Countries - Registrations on Medical Devices Class I / II / III Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Shelf Life of Combination Sets for Class II Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Manufacturing sites of Class 1 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I FDA Exempts Product Codes from 510(k) Process (Class II Medical Devices) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
P Requirements for CE Marked Class I Medical Devices for EU and Canada ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
MDD_QNA Production vs Repair of Reusable Medical Devices (Class IIa) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
C Adding information to Labels - Class II Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
JoCam Buying and selling Class I and II medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Clinical Evidence - Clinical Evaluation Report for Class I medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Registration of Class III Medical Devices in UAE Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
Q CE Class I Medical Devices (Instruments) - Germany Registrations CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Component Lot Number Traceability - Class I reusable and "resposable" Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Including two Class 1 Medical Devices as one 'promo' item Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P FDA requirements for Exempted Class I Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A CFDA - List of Class II Medical Devices exempt from Clinical Trials China Medical Device Regulations 2
M Technical File Locations - Class I and Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J How does your organization store documents for Class I and Class II Medical Devices? Benchmarking 4
I FDA Cleanroom requirements for class II in vitro medical devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Two Identical Medical Devices put in different Classes - Class I and Class II 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S What are export requirements for Class I/II Medical Devices in Europe? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
somashekar Determination of Clean Room Class for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Canada Bulk Packaging and IFU requirements for Class IIa and IIb Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
D FDA Reclassification of Medical Devices - Class III device down to Class II 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Selling Class IIa Medical devices in Albania Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Disinfection/Sterilization of Semi-Critical Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 6
somashekar Exclusion of Design and Development Controls for Class 2B Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C Refreshing Class II Exempt Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3