Do AS9100 Registrar Auditors have nonconformity quotas?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
During our recent AS9100 audit, the registrar auditor said that soon auditors will have a sort of "quota" or minimum number of NC's that they have to write during audits or else they will be warned and put on some sort of probation, and eventually fired if they don't meet the requirements. I can't recall for sure, but I think this was supposedly coming not from the regsitrar, but from higher up the food chain.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

jmech

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
but a slide from a September 2019 IAQG presentation on changes to AS9104/3 includes "Nonconformities per audit day" as part of new "Auditor Performance Monitoring" requirements:

Presentation:
https://iaqg.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/9104-3-Ballot-Draft-DSM-September-2019_Rev-2.pdf
Great find.

I also note the following slide from the same presentation:

Screenshot 2021-01-07 160608.jpg
In the IAQG world, the OEM's are under continual "pressure" from the regulatory authorities (FAA, EASA, etc...) to demonstrate that the ICOP certification is robust. Too many cases of serious quality scapes and, when investigated, data shows that supplier certified to AS9100 for 10+ years and CB audit reports in all of these years show ZERO nonconformities.

While non-conformity quota/auditor is an asinine idea, monitoring of NC's/auditor over time is not.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
I admit that 10 years of AS9100 audits showing 0 nonconformities would seem quite unusual.

It would be interesting to see the data on the number of NC's written in different manufacturing sectors, different types of organizations, witnessed vs. un-witnessed audits, etc.

As a client, I can see auditors pushing, pushing to meet their "quota" and perhaps sometimes even creating NC's that don't really exist (there is too much of that occurring already). I can also see clients thinking about leaving a few low-hanging fruits (minors) for the auditor to find so he/she can meet their quota and relax a bit.

jmech

While non-conformity quota/auditor is an asinine idea, monitoring of NC's/auditor over time is not.
My initial instinct is to agree, but I have a little concern about the monitoring. Either it is done subjectively (auditors are asked for an explanation if the CB thinks their NCR numbers "look fishy" based on their gut feeling [unwritten and inconsistent criteria]) or it is done objectively (based on written criteria that looks a lot like quotas). I think some monitoring likely needs to be done, but I don't know how you do it in a way that won't ever encourage auditors to write NCRs for the sake of meeting the monitor's (implicit or explicit) expectations. Maybe you make the criteria loose enough that an auditor will only get in trouble if they have many audits with NCR numbers that seem completely implausible - this catches the most incompetent auditors, but won't affect the vast majority and won't catch the occasional bad audit. I don't think there is a perfect solution here - maybe this, combined with thorough review of audit reports, is the best one available.

As a client, I can see auditors pushing, pushing to meet their "quota" and perhaps sometimes even creating NC's that don't really exist (there is too much of that occurring already). I can also see clients thinking about leaving a few low-hanging fruits (minors) for the auditor to find so he/she can meet their quota and relax a bit.
These are the obvious problems that quotas (or monitoring with an implied but unwritten quota) will cause.

We'd heard rumors that our (non-AS9100) CB set auditor quotas or KPI expectations for NCRs and sometimes got the feeling during audits that the auditor might have a quota. When asked, our CB very strongly denied that they set any auditor quotas or KPI expectations for NCRs.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Yep. I can also see CB auditors “replicating” unresolved internally reported nonconformities. Since the organization should be doing corrective actions anyway, “cut & paste” NC’s could be a thing for CB auditors.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yep. I can also see CB auditors “replicating” unresolved internally reported nonconformities. Since the organization should be doing corrective actions anyway, “cut & paste” NC’s could be a thing for CB auditors.
That quota garbage is a disaster waiting in the wings. Quota's remove objectivity and impartiality from the process and anyone that's says different is taking in too much CO2. Quota's will predispose auditors to document bogus, worthless krap that could have the potential to do more harm than good.....And I can't think of any good.

Replicating already identified NC's that are already being corrected is another krap job, I've seen it done and when I'm a Lead I don't allow it.

The whole thought of quota's or minimums strikes me the same as police officers, traffic tickets and small town politics (been there done that and I refused to do it)

jmech

That quota garbage is a disaster waiting in the wings. Quota's remove objectivity and impartiality from the process and anyone that's says different is taking in too much CO2. Quota's will predispose auditors to document bogus, worthless krap that could have the potential to do more harm than good.....And I can't think of any good.
I agree. I think the only argument for quotas is that they encourage/force an auditor to write an NCR for a legitimate issue that the auditor would otherwise ignore. However, if the auditor would ignore a legitimate issue, you've already got a serious problem with auditor competency/integrity, and quotas don't address the root cause of this problem while also causing new problems.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Who, and how, will they determine the number of NC's that "should" be written?

I wonder if they will use a control chart to plot the number of NC's by auditor to see if any special causes are at work? Nah, probably something way more subjective than that....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
A AS9100 Registrar Expense Report Practices Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
J Looking for AS9100 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
G Calculating AS9100 Registrar Audit Man Days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M AS9100 Registrar Suggestions for Registrant in San Diego, CA Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
R AS9100 Registrar in Southern Nevada Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
J AS9100 Rev.B Registrar Audit Plan for Stage 2 Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A How does your registrar handle 2 certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
K AS9100 Registrar Accreditation has been withdrawn by IAQG Registrars and Notified Bodies 22
P AS9100 Registrar Accreditation Audit Tips - Accreditation audit witnessed by ANAB AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S Looking for AS9100 certification registrar in the Washington area Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
V Do you have to go through a registrar to get AS9100 Certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C Registrar for AS9100: Seeking Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
G Where to find an AS9100 Registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
L AS9100 Section 8.4.2 - External provider test reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Transferring AS9100 to new Legal Entity AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 News AS9100 Rev. E? Any news? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Crusader AS9100 7.5.2 NOTE Approval methods identified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Can a organization use a disclaimer "pending AS9100 Certification" in Marketing Information? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T AS9100 audit due to facility move AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K AS9100 and ISO9001 together AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 - Product and Service Provision 8.5.1q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1