Do Brands Matter When Purchasing Bore Gauge?

Sorry, if this seams like a stupid question, and been asking everyone and not getting a straight answer anywhere.

I am looking to purchase a bore gauge to measure some bearings that i will later simulate. I need to measure somewhere between 25-30mm and require high accuracy and so i am looking for a high resolution.

I have been looking at many brands all differ in price but the specification are almost identical.

Has anyone had experience with this product (ABG2530)? 25 - 30mm Three-Point Analogue Bore Gauge ABG2530

Or is it worth spending more money...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
While I don't have much experience with bore gauges, my experience with other precision gauges is that the brand does matter. Each brand has a slightly different design approach to their gauges that does matter. Some are easier to set, some can be touchy, etc. Remember that the accuracy was established on ring gauges and not on actual product with variation in form. There are other differences such as vernier vs. dial vs. digital that will impact your results.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I am not familiar with the brand you are considering, however I will say that 'you get what you pay for', and this is just as true for bore gauges as anything else.
Another thing to consider is WHICH value you want for the bore? Minimum inscribed/maximum circumscribed/least squares mean? Each of these is different, and bore gauges will not consistently measure ANY of them - they provide a 3 point measurement in a single plane.
Is it worthwhile considering sending the bearings out to have them measured by a 3rd party, using a more accurate and repeatable measurement, such as a scanning-head CMM?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Russian Medical Device Regulations for Multiple Brands of the same Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
T Why evaluate Suppliers that are Brands we represent? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
W Digital Multi-Meter Calibration Procedure for various Meter Brands and Functions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S Best and Worst Mass Spectrometer Equipment Brands General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
bobdoering From SME: GM To Focus On Fewer Brands World News 4
Marc Asian brands dominate car quality rankings World News 15
Marc Luxury brands take beating in auto-reliability survey World News 13
optomist1 Do Morals & Character Matter? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
S Subject Matter Expert Training for Auditors Internal Auditing 13
J Subject Matter Expert/Trainer Qualification Form Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S Should there be a SME (Subject Matter Expert) for each element? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
Wes Bucey Trade Secrets - not a joking matter! World News 0
K The only 5 Interviewing Questions that matter Career and Occupation Discussions 12
J Quality Organization - Does it matter where it reports to? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
B Handling 'Subject Matter Experts' (SMEs) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Quality policy? A matter of interpretation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
eternal_atlas Does the age of the lead auditor matter in QMS audits ? General Auditing Discussions 32
J CMM SPC - Does part measurement order matter? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
Q Reduction Of Foreign Matter (Contamination) Complaints in your Factory Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
A Required platform for scales (a weighty matter?) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T QMS in place - How to illustrate? Small matter of bringing it into action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Looking for subject matter for thesis about TQM, ISO9000, TS19649 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Just a Matter of Communication? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Purchasing AS9100D Standard in Japanese AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Non-Conformance from recent Audit carried out on Purchasing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
D Do purchasing controls apply to non-medical parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Purchasing requirements for Toll Manufacturers Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R ISO 13485 purchasing QMS and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Use of non-ISO 9001 Supplier - Purchasing through a distributor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S Purchasing for Design and Development Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q AS 9100 C and D Purchasing requirements difference AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Q Risks and opportunities that could be associated with the purchasing department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R DFARS Compliance - Purchasing Aluminum Alloy 7075 -T73511 per AMS-QQ-A-200/11 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
N ISO 17025 Clause 4.6 Purchasing Services & Supplies (Compliance) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
V Purchasing Controls - Prerequisites for Batch Release or even before Purchase Order 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L ANVISA RDC 16 - purchasing records Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K "Purchasing Controls" for Stand-alone Software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
H Cause analysis for an Audit Finding - Purchasing Procedure Content ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Can we exclude purchasing and supplier evaluation - ISO9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Difference between 7.4.1 & 7.4.3 - Purchasing Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E ISO 9001-2008 Purchasing controls ? Issuing POs Without Specific Approvals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
S AS9100 7.4 "Purchasing of a Service" - Stress and Design Analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M Supplier Audit Form for Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Question on Purchasing clause 7.4.1 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A 7.4 Purchasing Question - My company only provides services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10