Do company sales agents/distributors need to go through supplier evaluation process?

Hello,

I'm working for a medical device startup, and since we don't have our own sales force, we're signing distributors to distribute/sell our products to the physicians. Do these sales agents/distributors need to be qualified as a service supplier? They would not affect product quality in any way (not add value to product). They're measured on sales quota based on a contract.

Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

blewispunk

Re: Do company sales agents/distributors need to go through supplier evaluation proce

I would say they do not need to from a quality system perspective if they are not performing product-impact activities (installation or training). However, every sales person needs good product knowledge and understanding so from a business perspective it may be wise to establish your own set of requirements for the distributor to approve them to start and establish metrics to track them over time.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Re: Do company sales agents/distributors need to go through supplier evaluation proce

Hello,

I'm working for a medical device startup, and since we don't have our own sales force, we're signing distributors to distribute/sell our products to the physicians. Do these sales agents/distributors need to be qualified as a service supplier? They would not affect product quality in any way (not add value to product). They're measured on sales quota based on a contract.

Thank you.
Hi and welcome to the cove :bigwave:

From a regulatory standpoint, it depends on whether you are buying from them or selling to them. If you are purchasing their distribution service, then I would say yes, they are suppliers and as such they should meet all applicable requirements documented in your SOPs. If, on the other hand, you sell them your products, then if anything I would consider them customers and not suppliers.

BTW, I do not agree that distributors don't add value to the product. If you don't have your own sales force then they are your face on the market, and also part of your product's market appeal. It's great to have a good product but it is, IMHO, at least as important (if not more important) to have good service, pre- and post-sales. Many small companies fail because they fail to understand this. Personally I know some companies who do very well although their products are average or just good-enough - simply because they have excellent distribution and customer service.

So, even if distributors don't modify the product in any physical way, they definitely have the potential to add value (and also to reduce value). There are many definitions to "quality", but my favorite is "everything that contributes to the customer's satisfaction". Customer service sure comes under that, so yes, I would say distributors definitely affect quality.

Additionally, distributors have a very practical role in your quality system if you don't have a sales force. They are one of your most important communication channels with the market. They are usually the ones that will (or won't) provide you with the post-marketing feedback, and the information and used samples in cases of customer complaints. They are also your route to tracking and recalling faulty or suspicious products already on the market.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yana prus

I agree with Ronen for the important role of distributors from regulatory perspective. Ensure that the claims that they use are indeed the approved claims (and not the off label claims).

In the case of international distributors, I would suggest to verify that they obtain any necessary registrations and licences for the product and marketing for the defined Territory.

A

AFuenzalida

I would also advise you to be very careful as in some countries in Europe or Middle East your distributors can be deemed commercial agents, which means that if you terminate them penalties and indemnification for good will is owed.

D

deuce64

Ronen,
I'm in agreement with your opinion (re: value add and communication channel) with that, I would argue that the distributor (foreign or domestic) is a critical part of the Quality System and that there is liability at the Manufacturer's level to ensure that agreements are in place between both parties that protect traceability, storage, and adverse event reporting for the devices that the distributor sells. Additionally, a foreign distributor should be obliged to maintain and prove to the manufacture, proper registration of the products for which they have been granted distribution rights.
i'm curious, do people do supplier audits of their distributors? I'm heavily considering it.
deuce

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Implementing ISO 9001:2008 in a small Sales and Service company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
K Quality Objectives, Small Company, No sales yet... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E "Sales Packaging" contents - Medical Device company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
P Can the company annual sales be treated as One of the company quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Sales in Europe of CE marked Medical devices with sister company EU Medical Device Regulations 11
G TS16949 - Company with only 5% sales to Automotive. What to do? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G Outsourcing Sales & Service of Products of an ISO 9001 Certified Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Another "Parent Company" Question - 'Sister' company handles sales IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Quality's Authority - Company Moving In ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
S Business Number versus Company ID? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Transferring ISO 17025 from one company to another ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Audit check for IT company (ISO 9001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
F IVD registration in EU - Northern Ireland based company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A AS9100D - Clause 8.1 Operation - Coating service company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
L Have been purchased by a corporate company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Advice needed: Shall I report my not complying company to NB / competent Authority (Europe) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
lanley liao What shoud i do if our company top management has been changed. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S Malcolm Baldrige Company Dashboard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J Leveraging another company's ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R MDEL and company affiliate Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
M Address change for a company with CE/ISO13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 8
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
qualprod Corona virus Contingency plan - What have you done in your company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Q Company Ownership Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13