Do components of a system require UDIs?

Cthames

Involved In Discussions
Hello all,

Let's say a company is producing an x-ray system. This device is comprised of the actual x-ray machine, the x-ray detector, the detector holders, the software that images upload to, and the high-voltage generator. In the 510(k) submission, these are all listed as components of the x-ray system. None of these components are capable of acting as a medical device without being used in conjunction with all of the other components.

Does each component listed on the 510(k) need its own UDI, or is a system UDI sufficient?

I have been assuming if the company plans to sell any components individually, such as the detectors or detector holders, that these items would need UDIs prior to being sold and distributed to customers. Is this a correct assumption?

I apologize if I have not provided enough details and would be happy to provide more if necessary.

Thanks for the help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
That is an interesting question! Where I worked before, an implant was placed into the spine. It had several parts that comprised it, and bone matrix that was used to fuse the implant. But the UDI was for the final device only.

These components were not very complex, though, so I'm not sure if that scope would change with something more complex like an x-ray system. And I used to work for a pretty big company that made x-ray systems, but they did NOT do medical device so I am afraid I can't apply the knowledge I have across the two haha

My assumption would be for final device only as the components cannot work independently as a medical device.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
We manufacture a small wearable patch. We have Unique UDI for the packaging; specifically, the quantity in each package. For example, if we sold patches in 1, 5, and 10 patch boxed quantities we would need 3 UDI total.

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
We manufacture a small wearable patch. We have Unique UDI for the packaging; specifically, the quantity in each package. For example, if we sold patches in 1, 5, and 10 patch boxed quantities we would need 3 UDI total.
You know, I actually noticed something similar to this today with my new Dexcom! The outer packaging has a unique UDI on it that identifies the three completed devices inside the box. Each transmitter injector has its own UDI (which is great for tracking because I have had some failures I needed to report to Dexcom and return for new product)

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Let me start out with "I'm not sure!" :) Seriously, every time I think I understand UDIs, I get another curveball.

Here's what I think I know:
  • I think you're correct in that anything that can be sold separately would need a UDI.
  • Every packaging level except a shipping package needs a UDI.
  • Software needs a UDI.
I would urge you to get that confirmed with somebody. If someone can correct me (or confirm what I wrote), I'd appreciate it!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Device & Accessory, Components in device, or System EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
Highground Perfusion System - HLM Components with Vendor Neutrality Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M Identification and labeling medical device replacement system components Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 12
T 510(k) Submission for Outsourced Automated Instrumentation System Components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Is there an international system standard for producing electrical components? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
D Validating software in materials testing - Integrated system of individual components General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S CE Marking components within IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
blackholequasar Price Gouging? (Electronic components) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Ed Panek Very Long Lead Times for Components (Electrical) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Z Proving REACH/RoHS status for electronics components from Digikey/Mouser REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
S Reporting REACH - Electronic components distributor REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
U Procedure pack components EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Sterilized components expiration date ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Sterilized components shelf life Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
C Warehousing two separate components to a finished device while meeting regulations Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
C Shelf life electronic components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
F Biocompatibility evaluation for Hardware/Interface Components? Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
K 510K new manufacturer but same components Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Medical Device Components US to EU commercialization EU Medical Device Regulations 7
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A Components of a medical device - Hardware robotic hand EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D IMDS for Like Components (Interior Plastic, Leather/vinyl Armrest, etc.)other than Color APQP and PPAP 1
JoshuaFroud Serial numbers and labelling when sharing device components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A How to deal with changed shared components in 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Nicole Desouza Plastic Extrusion of Medical Device Components - No ISO or AS 9100 Certifications Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
Q Handling Off-the-Shelf Components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I PPAP Assembly and Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D CB Certificate - Distributor for a product with electrical components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
K Selling Medical Device Components to US hospitals and doctors US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R FDA - How to discontinue/obsolete medical devices that share sub-components with others that will still be distributed Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
D Software Validation - Contract manufacturer of Components (PCBA's) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
G Audit finding - Components being transferred inter-plant Internal Auditing 3
J Referencing Medical Device in FDA records - Package contains several other components Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Article 23 (Parts and components) - Economic Operator EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S How are Medical Device Components and Subassemblies defined? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Classification of a Class IIb Medical Device with 3 Components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
P REACH - A few of the hundreds components in my product no longer meet requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
C Medical device file for components such as adhesives, gaskets, films, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S Do suppliers of prototyping components need to undergo supplier qualification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Is it acceptable to mix components from two different lots into an assembly? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M CE / FCC Compliance for components + final product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2