Do consumers really care about ISO 9001:2000 certification?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre/pressreleases/2006/Ref1014.html

Ref.: 1014
8 June 2006

Do consumers really care about ISO 9001:2000 certification?

ISO’s magazine ISO Management Systems publishes what it describes as “a rarity” in its latest issue – an article giving the results of one of the few surveys carried out by a professional market research organization to uncover just what consumers know or care about ISO 9000.
“The findings are of vital interest to the thousands of organizations worldwide that invest in ISO 9001:2000,” comments the ISO magazine.

The article is authored by the instigators of the survey, James Tannock, a Reader in Quality and Operations Management at the Nottingham University Business School, Nottingham, United Kingdom, and Henry Brow, who was an undergraduate at the Nottingham University Business School when the survey was carried out.

They introduce their findings by asking, “Wouldn’t it be useful for companies that invest in ISO 9001:2000 implementation and certification to have some hard data on whether this improves how consumers perceive their organization, its products and services?

“Many surveys on the impacts and benefits of the ISO 9000 quality management standards have been carried out, but most have dealt with business-to-business relationships and issues. This article breaks new ground in presenting the main findings of a survey to discover the knowledge, perceptions and attitudes of consumers towards ISO 9000.”

The survey was carried out in the United Kingdom with the support of the consumer organization Which?It was performed by Ipsos, a leading survey organization, which interviewed 1 012 British adults, using an in-home, face-to-face technique.

The survey revealed that more than one quarter (26 %) of the general adult population was already aware of ISO 9000. (The survey used the generic title of the ISO 9000 series because it was aimed at the general public. In fact, the only certification standard in the series is ISO 9001:2000.)

Awareness was concentrated among working people, was higher among males, in higher income groups, in higher-status social grades and ages 35-54. The authors say that this probably reflects the higher probability that such people will be influenced by working in a business environment, in which ISO 9000 is well known.

They add: “The results also suggest positive attitudes towards ISO 9000 and companies certified to the standard. People tend to perceive products and services associated with ISO 9000 as being of higher quality.”

James Tannock and Henry Brown say that more positive attitudes are also associated with greater awareness, the most positive being among consumers who were spontaneously aware of ISO 9000 and those who had purchased a product or service backed by certification to the standard. These results suggest to the authors that businesses could benefit by increasing the general awareness levels of ISO 9000 in their consumer market.

The authors go on to say, “The results of the questions asking about the importance of ISO 9001:2000 certification in making purchasing decisions also suggest potential business advantage from wider consumer knowledge about the standard, especially for services provided directly to the consumer.
“Consumers who were already aware of ISO 9000 were more likely to choose this factor as the most important issue in purchasing decisions. Overall, the survey results suggest ISO 9001:2000 certification presents potential business and marketing advantages for a company when dealing directly with the consumer.”

In the authors’ view, these results probably reflect an improved consumer experience when dealing with an ISO 9001:2000 certified organization.

The same issue of ISO Management Systems magazine, which is available in English, French and Spanish, includes articles on the new ISO 22000 standard for safe food supply chains, the new ISO/IEC 27001 standard for information security, the use made of ISO 9001:2000 by the world’s biggest oil company, implementation of the ISO 14001 environmental management system standard in China, and German standards for the service sector.
Note: ISO does not itself audit or assess the management systems of organizations to verify that they have been implemented in conformity with the requirements of ISO 9001:2000 and ISO does not issue ISO 9001:2000 certificates. The auditing and certification of management systems is carried out independently of ISO. The ISO 9001:2000 issued by certification bodies are issued under their own responsibility and not under ISO's name.

Press contact:
Roger Frost
Press and Communication Manager
Public Relations
Tel. +41 22 749 01 11
Fax +41 22 733 34 30
E-mail [email protected]

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Marc said:
I wonder what they mean by this...
Good question. Since products and services are not certified to ISO 9001, I believe they used the "backed by" term to imply products and services originating from organizations with QMS certified to ISO 9001:2000.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I think the problem is that most consumers have no real awareness of manufacturing and quality control methods to begin with, so awareness of standardized quality systems is just nonexistent beyond the vague notion that if someone says they're "certified" in something, it must be good.
Marketing is about making people want to buy things they don't need, and if purveyors of consumer goods can use ISO registration to good advantage in that regard, more power to them. It has no bearing on whether or not ISO registration has any real intrinsic value though, and in this sense, it doesn't matter whether it does or not. If you can sell more products by telling gullible people that your product is better than Brand X because of magic pixie dust, it doesn't make any difference whether there is any pixie dust or not.

Now: the lifeline of business (with few exceptions) is not sales; it's repeat sales. If your product makes people want to buy more, or buy a different product from you, and tell their friends to buy them, it still doesn't make any difference to them how the products got to be better than Brand X. If you can use emotional manipulation to make the initial sale of a reasonably priced quality product, you'll probably sell lots of them, but most of the people who buy them will remain blissfully oblivious to how they were made.

M

morgand - 2006

Jim Wynne said:
Marketing is about making people want to buy things they don't need, and if purveyors of consumer goods can use ISO registration to good advantage in that regard, more power to them. It has no bearing on whether or not ISO registration has any real intrinsic value though, and in this sense, it doesn't matter whether it does or not. If you can sell more products by telling gullible people that your product is better than Brand X because of magic pixie dust, it doesn't make any difference whether there is any pixie dust or not.

Now: the lifeline of business (with few exceptions) is not sales; it's repeat sales. If your product makes people want to buy more, or buy a different product from you, and tell their friends to buy them, it still doesn't make any difference to them how the products got to be better than Brand X. If you can use emotional manipulation to make the initial sale of a reasonably priced quality product, you'll probably sell lots of them, but most of the people who buy them will remain blissfully oblivious to how they were made.

Exactly.
All flavored gelatin has the same texture if you follow the directions; you buy it by flavor or for the brand name. Do you know how they made the flavored gelatin? No. Do you care? No. Is it that particular flavor yummy? Yes; buy more! Do you trust the brand? Yes; buy more!

Behind the scenes doesn't matter. To most folks, ignorance is bliss. How many people would continue to use sucralose if they knew this sweetener is: "derived from sugar through a patented, multi-step process that selectively substitutes three chlorine atoms for three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule." and that "The tightly bound chlorine atoms create a molecular structure that is exceptionally stable." according to the International Food Information Counsil?

C

Craig H.

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree here. The study said around a quarter of the people interviewed knew of ISO 9000. It also gave some demographic info, and that info points to a fairly lucrative market, agreed?

OK, so we have a market segment that is fairly desirable for me as a widget monger, and that segment has ISO 9001 knowledge as a common factor. Two things come to mind:

1. We ought to use ISO 9001 as a way to differentiate our product within this segement if our competition is not certified, or to disallow differentiation by our competitors if they are certified.

2. We need to have our ISO folks look over any use/advertising of ours that touts the certification BEFORE it is released. Saying that our certification "guarantees that our product is excellent when compared to the competition" is sure to reverse any good feelings generated by step one above.

The last TV I bought I picked out of the last 2 candidates because of the ISO 9001 certification announcement stamped on the carton. When all else is equal...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Craig H. said:
I am afraid I am going to have to disagree here. The study said around a quarter of the people interviewed knew of ISO 9000. It also gave some demographic info, and that info points to a fairly lucrative market, agreed?

OK, so we have a market segment that is fairly desirable for me as a widget monger, and that segment has ISO 9001 knowledge as a common factor. Two things come to mind:

1. We ought to use ISO 9001 as a way to differentiate our product within this segement if our competition is not certified, or to disallow differentiation by our competitors if they are certified.

2. We need to have our ISO folks look over any use/advertising of ours that touts the certification BEFORE it is released. Saying that our certification "guarantees that our product is excellent when compared to the competition" is sure to reverse any good feelings generated by step one above.

The last TV I bought I picked out of the last 2 candidates because of the ISO 9001 certification announcement stamped on the carton. When all else is equal...

Craig, there's a difference between "ISO knowledge" (which you have) and "knowledge of ISO," meaning awareness that such a thing exists. The latter knowledge doesn't suggest that the aware person knows anything beyond the idea that it must be something good.

My own guess is that people with knowledge of ISO systems and the significance of registration would be, in general, less likely to give it any positive weight, (or any weight at all) all else being equal. The TV you didn't buy didn't have a stamp on it that said "Not ISO 9000 Registered." It could well have come from an ISO-registered plant, or it could have come from a non-registered plant with the world's greatest quality system.

N

NeverDone

I don't think average (general public) "consumers" care. They only care about the price & warranty of the product, not what is behind it all. Industrial & manufacturing consumers, of course, seem to care more.

R

ralphsulser

Jim Wynne said:
I think the problem is that most consumers have no real awareness of manufacturing and quality control methods to begin with, so awareness of standardized quality systems is just nonexistent beyond the vague notion that if someone says they're "certified" in something, it must be good.

Remember the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" years ago. The women consumers thought anything with this seal was the best thing to buy. I think it originated from the "Good Housekeeping " magazine. In the 50's this was THE guide for wives. The use of the "seal" grew leaps and bounds. My mother thought anything with that "seal" had to be good. The consumers did not know how the "seal" was obtained, or what requirements had to be in compliance. They just knew it was a "good thing";)

M

morgand - 2006

ralphsulser said:
Remember the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" years ago.

Energy Star seems to be one of the "seals" of today.

Top Bottom