Do controlled documents require a signature on every page as per 21 CFR 820.40?

A

ascherp

One method of approving a controlled document such as a procedure is for the approver to sign the cover page and perhaps the footer on the first page of the procedure itself. The footer is printed out on the remaining pages, but not signed. This has been accepted by ISO 13485 auditors.

In your experience, does the FDA require every page of the original document to be signed? Or would the document control procedure described above fulfill FDA requirements?

(We're facing our first FDA inspection and would like to make sure.)

I appreciate any pointers!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I

isoalchemist

The requirement is that the document reviewed for adequacy and approved before it is issued. In my experience one signature (per approver) is required. As long as your procedure defines the approval process and is being followed you should be OK.

Of course I only had one approval block. Personally I would never have the approval block in a repeating footer showing up on multiple pages, because if it appears a signature should appear, in my experience the FDA tends to ask why it is missing. Make sure you cover this in your document control procedure (i.e. only page 1 is signed) and you should be covered. :2cents:

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
One method of approving a controlled document such as a procedure is for the approver to sign the cover page and perhaps the footer on the first page of the procedure itself. The footer is printed out on the remaining pages, but not signed. This has been accepted by ISO 13485 auditors.

In your experience, does the FDA require every page of the original document to be signed? Or would the document control procedure described above fulfill FDA requirements?

(We're facing our first FDA inspection and would like to make sure.)

If you hard copies distribution, signature on page 1 followed by a stamp "Controlled Copy" on subsequent pages should be fine.

As mentioned earlier, the documentation control procedure need to spell the requirements towards a "controlled" documentation.

All the best for your FDA Inspection and do come back with your observations.

:thanx:

B

Boingo-boingo

I would STRONGLY advise you against the creation of a bureaucracy nightmare. You have to balance the need for control/governance and the cost effectiveness of any process (including the document control process) that is part of your quality system.

I have seen some of the most convoluted and bureaucratic document control processes in the world, like, for example, each page of a document having it's own revision level....:frust:, each individual page being stamped and/or signed...:nope:

Don't allow yourself to fall into this type of mental trap, where you try to anticipate the most strict regulatory inspector's wishes.

You will have to live with the system, day in, day out. Don't overkill it.

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Can I have a question how do you interpret and approach the record retention requirements?
Cheers!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
I R&D prototype documents need to be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Controlled Documents & Note Making ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Uriel Alejandro Including "Internal Rules" as Controlled Documents in a QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R How to Cross-Reference Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
LeonelAguilar352 Specific Question about Printing Controlled Documents. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
Q Modification in Controlled Documents AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
J Employee Contracts : Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Part Prints - Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents (e.g.: The Production Floor) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
F ISO 9001:2008 Fundamentals: Basic Questions - Controlled Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
X Documents required by the quality management system shall be controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A How are Electronic Editable Documents Controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
K Printed documents can't be controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
C Documents not controlled by the ECO (Engineering Change Order) process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Are SPC Charts Controlled Documents according to TS 16949? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
G Document Control-AS9100 - Marking of Documents as Master Copy of Controlled Copy AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S Document Control - Different documents which must be controlled not identified Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
R Controlled Documents vs. Signage Papers (ie, reminders, general information) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Add Safety Policies/LOTO/etc. to Controlled Documents? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Q Documents uncontrolled when printed, if is not printed is controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T Which controlled documents should be labeled "Confidential and Proprietary" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
N Controlled Documents Distribution Query - Home Care Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Is this footer okay for our Controlled Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
B What to include on Controlled Documents that are managed Electronically? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H Document Control Defined? Determining what documents must be controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
T Inheriting Another Company's Controlled Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M AS9100 Clause 4.2.3 requirements - Documents required by the QMS shall be Controlled AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
A Are Job Descriptions and Organizational Charts Controlled Documents? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
A Document Control File - Identifying all documents which need to be controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Controlled Documents - Can a word document and excel spreadsheet be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Lock-out / Tag-Out Procedures as Quality Controlled Documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
W Electronic Distribution of Controlled Documents: Validation required? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
E Wiki vs. Controlled Documents - Eliminating Conflicts Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
B Stamping Documents as "Controlled Copy" - Clause 4.2.3 Document Control Stamp Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
A Equipment List - Control or not to Control (Controlled Documents) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Should Internal Audit Checklists be Controlled Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
A List of controlled documents for ISO9001:2008 Call / Contact Center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Electronic Copies of previous versions of Controlled Documents in editable format Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M All Internally Generated Documents ? Required to be Controlled or Not All? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M Reissue of controlled documents - No changes identified Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Printed Copies of Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Bilijaf "Controlled" stamp for Controlled Documents - Any alternatives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P Removal of Obsolete copies of Controlled Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Distribution List of Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Should Forms printed for daily use in the shop floor be controlled documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
Manix Are Database Objects Controlled Documents and/or Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
P Access to, and Printing of, Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
W Controlled Documents - Trying to differentiate document control levels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5