Do Environmental 'Aspects' and 'Hazards' express the same idea?

S

samsung

Environmental aspects are generally equated with OHS hazards especially while determining the risk/impact rating.

The question is - are the environmental aspects analogous to OHS hazards in terms of their nature and effect? Do Aspects & Hazards as well as Impact & Risk really express the same idea?

Your inputs appreciated. Thanks.

D

db

I am going to say no... an aspect can be a postitive thing, just as an impact may be positive. But it is hard for me to visualize a hazard being positive.

S

samsung

I am going to say no... an aspect can be a postive thing, just as an impact may be positive. But it is hard for me to visualize a hazard being positive.

Me too. A hazard is a danger or source of a danger thus always referred to convey a negative event but an (environmental) aspect, as you said, doesnot always result in negative/ harmful ramifications. It can have positive impacts.

Thanks.

Randy

Super Moderator
Basically yes, except as pointed out Aspects can be positive in nature. I've seen the significance/risk process applied equally and successfully. Environmental risk/safety risk....A positive environmental aspect would have little or no risk.

S

samsung

Apart from some aspects being beneficial, there are some other differences as well.

1. In the case of hazards, it's the risk that needs to be controlled whereas in the case of 'aspects', it's not the resulting 'impact' but the 'aspect' itself is controlled if it is significant for the organization.

2. Organization can choose to decide which aspects it needs to control/ address whereas it can't skip addressing any of the OHS hazards however trivial they might be.

3. A hazard is always associated with a Risk - means there lies an uncertainty / unpredictability while the impact resulting from an aspect is always certain and predictable.

Hence, IMO, a fundamentally different thought process / methodology needs to be applied as far as risk/ aspect significance goes.

x-files

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

(first of all, sorry for bad English)

In our company with 3000 employees, we “integrated” 4 management systems (QMS, EMS, OHSMS, EnMS), and are going towards fifth (ISMS).

When I say “integrated”, I mean “half integrated”, because I never saw sample of real integration of all possible common/shared elements that could be integrated, and all standards’ requirements properly treated.

We integrated Policy and Manual, and are using (so called) “system” QMS procedures for Control of documents, Internal Audits, etc.

But, what about Objectives, Legal requirements, Aspects&Impacts, Hazards&Risks, Contingency plans? Every MS has its own requirements, specifics, terminology and ideas, that could not easily be molded into unique structure.

Anyway, we tried unofficially, at least for experiment!

PAS 99 specification was criticized a lot, but we’ve found it pretty interesting.

Under Planning, PAS 99 have:
4.3.1 Identification and evaluation of aspects, impacts and risks
4.3.2 Identification of legal and other requirements
4.3.3 Contingency plans
4.3.4 Objectives
4.3.5 … not relevant

Under 4.3.1, terms “aspects, impacts and risks” are generalized for any management system from those I mentioned.

Having “ISO 14004, Table A.1 — Examples of activities, products and services and their associated environmental aspects and impacts” in mind, we’ve tried to make an acceptable table structure to hold the information we want.

In fact, we’ve made two almost identical documents because the last column “Actual and potential impacts” (“normal operating conditions, abnormal conditions including start-up and shut-down, and emergency situations and accidents”), because a slight difference in methodology to determine significance, and further actions if the aspect is “significant”.

For “normal conditions” for significant aspects - we make Objectives, and for „abnormal conditions“ for significant aspects - we make „Contingency plans“.

This is that magic table structure, that „establishes a common framework to identify, evaluate and control business risks of any type“, even in theory :)

(Imagine a table with these columns)
Code:
ASPECT IN WIDER CONTEXT:
1. Organizational unit
2. Process
3. Activity/Product/service
4. Aspect
IMPACT IN WIDER CONTEXT:
1. Management System
2. Impact
METHODOLOGY TO DETERMINE SIGNIFICANCE:
1. Parameter 1
2. Parameter 2
3. Parameter 3
4. Parameter X
SIGNIFICANCE (SOME KIND OF „RISK”, SO IT HAVE TO BE HANDLED SOMEHOW IF SIGNIFICANT):
1. Yes / No

For this purpose we made a Methodology to determine significance, that takes into account column „Management System”. Different MS’s has different standpoints. For QMS we take into account loss of productivity, loss of reputation, material damage, … and make some quantification of that). For EMS and OHSMS we use well known methodologies, etc.

When presented to Management, the we very interested!

For the first time, the same ASPECT IN WIDER CONTEXT:
1. Organizational unit
2. Process
3. Activity/Product/service
4. Aspect
… can obviously have more than one associated IMPACT IN WIDER CONTEXT:
1. Management System
2. Impact
… and one or more could be SIGNIFICANT.

Many times, by one single Objective, we can handle both EMS and OHSMS impacts, because they could be in a relation.

And there we stuck. What about OHSMS terminology? We say “impacts”. What about hazards? Auditors will say that’s not OHSMS terminology! Also, what about proper document name: “Aspects, impact and risks in normal conditions”, “Aspects, impact and risks in abnormal conditions”? On the other side QMS does not have that terminology at all, although Legislator and interested parties, for example asks from us to make „Contingency plans“ for many QMS things. All that perfectly fits into presented structure.

We understand that table structure and we’ve found it useful to us, but I’m afraid not to estrange from explicit standard requirements and terminology.

I would like to here your experiences and observations on this.

Best Regards,
Vladimir

Last edited:
Top Bottom