Do HR consultants need to be on Approved Supplier List?

L

Lrruiz

Hi there!

This is my first post

I work for a manufacturing company that is ISO 9001 and just recently I have been given the task of handling the approved supplier list. There has been some debate over how consultants should be approved for our approved supplier list. Specifically, consultants who work on our website or hired to consultant on HR issues. We also have a consultant as our Acting Quality Manager.

So my question is do consultants hired in place of full-time employees need to be qualified as approved suppliers per any ISO or general industry practice?

Thanks for the feedback!

Lena

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Hi there!

This is my first post

I work for a manufacturing company that is ISO 9001 and just recently I have been given the task of handling the approved supplier list. There has been some debate over how consultants should be approved for our approved supplier list. Specifically, consultants who work on our website or hired to consultant on HR issues. We also have a consultant as our Acting Quality Manager.

So my question is do consultants hired in place of full-time employees need to be qualified as approved suppliers per any ISO or general industry practice?

Thanks for the feedback!

Lena
Lena,

Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

Consultants fall under "service providers" and have to be evaluated if their services directly impact the quality of products and services provided to your customers.

Therefore, only those consultants whose services impact the products and services provided to your customers, have to be in the ASL.

Does that answer your question ?

Also refer an existing thread - http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=30466

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi there!

This is my first post

Thanks for the feedback!

Lena
Remember that approved supplier list is for product and services that the customer is looking for - you should be asking is what is the customer looking for (Done at contract review) and what am I providing. If you are monitoring the UPS, electricity and stamps usage - time to rethink strategy and review the quality policy and objectives.

To your point, consultants are not part of the product process - thus no value - thus no time required. Bottom line, consultants should not be part of your process.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
An approved supplier list is simply an "APPROVED SUPPLIER LIST"
It is your QMS thinking to have one.
Again it is your QMS thinking to decide who goes in and who does not.
The bottom line is criteria for evaluation and selection.
Coming to consultants, your selection and approval criteria will be a few, including competency of the consultant of course.
The easiest way for someone to get back to him to consult on something new would be to first identify the consultant for your HR need.
If ASL is one such your method, put him in.
The bottom line is "It depends" upon your QMS thinking

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J How much do we need to pay for consultants? Consultants and Consulting 38
S MDR consultants - in search of recommendations for a consultant for MDR transition. Paid Consulting, Training and Services 7
B Available Calibration Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 1
Q Did you use consultants for UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
S How to evaluate "competency" of consultants ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
H Any ISO 9001 consultants/auditors in Oahu, Hawaii ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Suitable form or questionnaire for approving consultants Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Using consultants for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 24
bobdoering Available SPC and Metrology Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 0
Marc Available ISO 13485 Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 13
V Looking for Russian Regulatory Affairs Consultants Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J0anne US Working Permit Requirements for European Consultants Career and Occupation Discussions 2
T The Consultants Guide to Successfully Implementing 5S review Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
A Evaluation of Service Providers such as Consultants and Calibration Companies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Consultants' and Contractors' Heaven Consultants and Consulting 15
S Industry Best Practices for managing outside Engineering Consultants Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
T Why Are Consultants' Fees so High? Consultants and Consulting 13
T Registrar Question/Audits/Consultants/Clause numbers/minors and majors Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
O US FDA Consultants in Mumbai - Orthopaedic Devices 510K Submission help US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
Wes Bucey Consultants who Audit on behalf of CB's - An ISO 17021:2011 violation? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
R Control of Documents - Drawing (soft copy) for further work by other Consultants Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Consultants and Certification Organizations are Working Together Consultants and Consulting 11
J Use of Consultants - Design Output Approval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K PRI approved Sources & Consultants in Canada AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
R ISO 9001 Internal Quality Audit by Consultants (External agency) Internal Auditing 5
B References for GMP Consultants in Illinois (trade/commercial printer/packaging) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Selecting Consultants for getting drug approval in USFDA Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
B Design & Development of Professional Services - Consultants to manufacturing industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Stijloor UN Certification Consultants - Would like to hear from those in the NC-SC-VA area Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
P What are ISO 14001 requirements for Sub-consultants, Contractors, Suppliers ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
B Approving Suppliers - Consultants AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
D TBM Consultants - Has anyone used them? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Stijloor Consultants, have you received calls from Registrars lately? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
S Pre-Assessment Mock Audits by Different Consultants IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Sidney Vianna ANAB HU # 96 Commissions and Incentives to Consultants by Certification Bodies ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 17
G Looking for Quality Auditors/Consultants in Canberra/Sydney/Melbourne Australia Career and Occupation Discussions 5
Antonio Vieira ISO 10019:2005, for who? Selection of quality management systems consultants Consultants and Consulting 2
D Should consultants be accredited or hold ISO9001 certification themselves? Consultants and Consulting 32
Marc Available AS9100 and Aerospace related Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 2
B TS 16949 auditors and consultants requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Is the market still good for consultants? Thinking about becoming a consultant Consultants and Consulting 16
M Registrars as consultants? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M External Consultants Fees/Timing - 9K:2K Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Available IATF 16949 Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 3
Marc Available 17025 - Laboratory Consultants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Marc Available FDA / Medical Device Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 9
Marc Available ISO 14001 Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 2
Marc Available ISO 9001 Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 20
M QSR Purchasing Controls governing evaluation and use of consultants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3