Do HR consultants need to be on Approved Supplier List?

L

Lrruiz

Hi there!

This is my first post

I work for a manufacturing company that is ISO 9001 and just recently I have been given the task of handling the approved supplier list. There has been some debate over how consultants should be approved for our approved supplier list. Specifically, consultants who work on our website or hired to consultant on HR issues. We also have a consultant as our Acting Quality Manager.

So my question is do consultants hired in place of full-time employees need to be qualified as approved suppliers per any ISO or general industry practice?

Thanks for the feedback!

Lena

S

Sean Kelley

The key to this is how do you evaluate their competency to do the work they are contracted to do? I do not think I have heard of placing them on an approved supplier list but their work does have an effect on your company and it's performance or you would not be contracting them.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hi there!

This is my first post

I work for a manufacturing company that is ISO 9001 and just recently I have been given the task of handling the approved supplier list. There has been some debate over how consultants should be approved for our approved supplier list. Specifically, consultants who work on our website or hired to consultant on HR issues. We also have a consultant as our Acting Quality Manager.

So my question is do consultants hired in place of full-time employees need to be qualified as approved suppliers per any ISO or general industry practice?

Thanks for the feedback!

Lena

Lena,

Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

Consultants fall under "service providers" and have to be evaluated if their services directly impact the quality of products and services provided to your customers.

Therefore, only those consultants whose services impact the products and services provided to your customers, have to be in the ASL.

Does that answer your question ?

Also refer an existing thread - https://elsmar.com/elsmarqualityforum/threads/30466/

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi there!

This is my first post

Thanks for the feedback!

Lena

Remember that approved supplier list is for product and services that the customer is looking for - you should be asking is what is the customer looking for (Done at contract review) and what am I providing. If you are monitoring the UPS, electricity and stamps usage - time to rethink strategy and review the quality policy and objectives.

To your point, consultants are not part of the product process - thus no value - thus no time required. Bottom line, consultants should not be part of your process.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
An approved supplier list is simply an "APPROVED SUPPLIER LIST"
It is your QMS thinking to have one.
Again it is your QMS thinking to decide who goes in and who does not.
The bottom line is criteria for evaluation and selection.
Coming to consultants, your selection and approval criteria will be a few, including competency of the consultant of course.
The easiest way for someone to get back to him to consult on something new would be to first identify the consultant for your HR need.
If ASL is one such your method, put him in.
The bottom line is "It depends" upon your QMS thinking

Top Bottom