Do I have to do a Layout Inspection? Automotive

N

Nikos

Layout Inspection

When do I have to performe Layout Inspection?

If no notification is given from customer do I have to do it? and what parts does it include? is it parts on production or in stock?
If no products are available at plant when is it relevant to performe layout inspection?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Typically you do a layout prior to starting production and if you're automotive I know Chrysler wants a complete layout once a year.

You should look first to customer requirements and next to what makes sense to you.

Typically you do a layout on what you ship but some companies, depending on factors such as criticality, trust and supplier history, may do complete layout on (some) components. This is supposed to be defined early in the game (what are your receiving inspection requirements and how are they determined?).

Whether you do a complete layout on your product or not depends on the exact scenario. What do you make? How detailed are the drawings? Which dimensions are critical (if any).

You ask: "If no notification is given from customer do I have to do it?" Well, I guess not (technically).

You ask: "what parts does it include? is it parts on production or in stock?" Typically it will be a 'first off' from a production run.

You ask: "If no products are available at plant when is it relevant to performe layout inspection?" Well, are you buying product and drop-shipping it to a customer from your supplier? In such a situation, if you need a layout you should require your suppier to provide one. If you need one and they cannot do one, I suppose you would have to have one shipped to you.

I have seen partial layouts (only check critical characteristics) and I have seen complete (if it's on the drawing, it has to be measured).

NOTE: Some complex drawings with GD&T contain too many points for a supplier to measure - which is where MSA plays an important part. Can you even measure it? You may have experienced where you have to first get this DIM and then key off it to get another DIM and then use THAT one to key off of for the DIM you are wanting to measure. Sopmetimes these are complex and the error takes up the better part of, or more than, the actual tolerance. I should also say that I have seen a lot of really badly done drawings some of which didn't have a point to key off of to get to another DIM (as one example). So - beware. Measurement and Test is becoming more demanding every year.

Casana

Blueberry Nut
Got a similar question... 4.10.4.1 states that the "layout inspection needs to happen at a frequency established by customer (see Section II)". Section II lists specific requirements from Ford,GM,etc. What if you are a Tier II supplier, does that mean 4.10.4.1 doesn't apply?

A

Al Dyer

Casana,

I believe that the section would apply as directed by your tier I customer.

MHO
ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S. Moore Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.6.2 - Layout Inspection and Functional Testing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J How does Layout Inspection determine Reference Value? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B TS 16949 PPAP/ Layout Inspection Frequency Requirements APQP and PPAP 8
L TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - Should we pay for this ? APQP and PPAP 4
R Layout Inspection and Functional Testing - "Product" in 8.2.4.1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Z New Inspection Department Layout - 5S, Lean, etc... Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
S Layout inspection - product family approach? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Layout Inspection - Sound systems to a German car manufacturer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Layout Inspection Format and Improvement Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Layout and Dimensional Inspection Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
B Can I do layout inspection and product audit at the same time and plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J 'Final Inspection' and 'Layout & Functional Testing' - Part of Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 9
S Definition Product Audit (8.2.2.3) vs. Layout Inspection (8.2.4.1) - What are the differences? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
A Layout inspection - When is a layout inspection required? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A Annual Requirements - TS 16949 - 8.2.4.1 Layout Inspection and Functional Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
I Layout inspection content - Auditor said we should do an annual audit also Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
A 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - When is a full layout required and how often? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
A Layout Inspection & Product inspection - Can We Eliminate Product Audit? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A TS 16949 Section 8.2.4.1 - Layout inspection vs. QS-9000 Section 4.10.4.1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
H TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.1 - Yearly Layout Inspection Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D Layout inspection and functional testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Layout Inspection and Functional Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Microbiological Testing Lab - Layout & Standards Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
E Layouts : Can you "verify" things that are not visible (such as loctite present, internal dimensions) in a layout ? APQP and PPAP 2
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
MDD_QNA Changing the Layout of Medical Device Label(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Implementing 5S for Multiple Shop Floor Layout Workstations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
B Is Gage R&R required on a 100% Dimensional Layout? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
E ISO 17025 Compliant Laboratory Layout ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
O Make Layout Higher Resolution? Using Minitab Software 1
O Matlab Layout Command to Increase Size Using Minitab Software 1
M Reporting Composite FCF on Layout (GD&T) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
Q Is there a recommended lab layout for a ISO TS requirement? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N CMM Layout Data Dispute between two CMM Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Does the Layout Design of a PCB fall under clause 7.3 in ISO 9001 Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
T Industry Standards for # of parts for Capability Study and Layout FAI's? APQP and PPAP 4
Q Best tools to use to determine the best layout of a given area (Office) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
N General Microbiological Laboratory Layout and Required Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Would like to remodel our QA Layout Laboratory - Your ideas appreciated Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Warehouse Layout Design Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
I Layout Audit Requirements vs. Batch Inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Howard Atkins Official TS answers from SMMT- Layout, System Audits, MR and Doc Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Help with Submitting Part Layout Dimensionals - My first ever PPAP (to GM) APQP and PPAP 5
O The Layout of Dimensional Results and What to Provide the Customer APQP and PPAP 16
B Laboratory Layout - Please comment & give ideas on my proposal General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
H Lean Office and Office Layout - Sales, customer service, marketing, accounting, HR Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
S Plant Layouts - What should be in a Plant Layout? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8