Do I have to have the 'References' section on a Work Instruction?

A

Allie

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything concrete to answer this annoyingly simple question. I think once you get in so deep, you blank on the little things.

Do I have to have the 'References' section on a Work Instruction?

I know it is not a mind probing question, but it is irking me.

:bonk: :frust:

Your Pal,
Al

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Craig H.

Allie:

Here is a simple answer: If your "Procedures Procedure" says you have to have it, then you do (or you can change the procedure). If not, I know of no requirement for it in 9001.

Craig

A

Allie

Thanks for the answer Craig. I wrote the "Procedures Procedure" so I guess I can write it the way I want it.

I have done things a certain way since the mid 90's with someone else's system. Now I am with a start up company and the quality system is a blank slate for me. It's hard to tell anymore what is a requirement and what is a "it's always been done that way"

Your Pal,
Al

C

Craig H.

Allie

Wow, that is a dream of mine. Surf this forum and you will avoid many of the mistakes I made dealing with a legacy system. 9001:2000 gives us a LOT more wiggle room when it comes to documentation. The system just has to be effective.

Great Luck!! Something tells me you won't need it!

Craig

A

Allie

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

I started in Nov/02 and I have until April/03 to be done,lol.

No pressure or anything.

Your Pal,

Al

T

tarheel

Welcome Allie

I took references out of all my documents except for the references in the quality manual. Just went through and upgrade audit to 2000 with no problems. What I did instead was put together a matrix. This really simplifies the system and lessens the chance you will miss something.

A

Allie

That sounds like a great way of doing it. Can you give me a little more detail on how your matrix works?

Your Pal,
Al

R

rrramirez

Allie

If not, I know of no requirement for it in 9001.

ISO 9001:2000 7.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provison mentions "works instructions, where needed"

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
If I remember correctly , In calibration Procedure of in Calibration Work Instructions One needs to specify From where this Work Method has been inherited. There Reference is MUST. While in other procedure it is not very much required.

A

Allie

I would have to reference the standard from which the calibration criteria is taken. That is totally understandable. I just didn't want to have to reference other quality system procedures in the work instructions. If I had a notation in the body of the procedure that said 'see PRO XXX Control of Nonconforming Product", I can't see how it would be of any value to list it separately at the end of the work instruction.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Definition Finishing Services - TS 16949 Section 3.1.6 references finishing services Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
K Quality Management System Manual question - References at the end of each section Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
V Nature of references allowed to be cited in the SOP US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Supporting Site Quality Manual and References Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
K Essential Requirements Checklist references EU Medical Device Regulations 10
N Control plan references FMEA and Control Plans 6
J CQE References allowed in the Exam Room Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
M Harmonized standards vs. EN ISO References EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Current standard references IEC 60601:1988 instead of current version EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P Document references need to be updated to correspond to the current year? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q Use of standard references in documentation (PRS, Technical File) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V Classification of Audit Observations - Regulatory References US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Japanese Requirements for Medical Devices - JPAL Ordinance 169 + "law" references Japan Medical Device Regulations 5
K Implications of References in Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
V Excellent references on Lean & Six Sigma ...from MIT Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
V AHU (Air Handler Units) and Clean Room References Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
J Calibration Manual Specification References AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Medical Device Labeling Standards References 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
K Audit Nonconformance? Employee References Work Instruction Internal Auditing 17
B Checklist Contents - Do ISO clause references need to be included? Internal Auditing 4
S References to CECC 68000 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Finding Literature References for Clinical Evaluations per Annex X of MDD 93/42/EEU EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Suggestions for Obsoleting References ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Standard Comparison Chart to have references to all standards in one location ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Document Relationship Matrix - Keeping Track of References to Related Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B References for GMP Consultants in Illinois (trade/commercial printer/packaging) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C ISO 3834-2 references ISO 3834-5 for the list of documents required for conformity Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Obsolete Document References in other Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Should I include Normative References in our Systems Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
AnaMariaVR2 Regulatory References for the Operation, Maintenance and Calibration of GLP equipment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
Ted Schmitt Rental Car References wanted - July in California Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 10
E Particular standard IEC 60601-2-40 references obsolete EMC standard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
ScottK How to choose professional references when applying for a job? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
O AS References - AS4897, AS2078, AS1946, and AS1055 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Notified Body References and Reviews - Changing ISO 13485 Registrars EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M ASME NQA-1-1994 Standards - Struggling with the supplement references Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
B What happened to Part 804? 820.198 (3) references part 803 or 804 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M References to JCAHO Standards in Other Standards Development Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
D Design For Cost (DFx) resources, references and training material Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
F Should I remove references to AS9120 / ISO 9001 from my Quality Manual and QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M 21 CFR Part 11 references checklist Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
R Good References and Books in the field of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Old Drawing from the 1940's references A.I. 2400. Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
R References to Level III Work Instruction within a Level II Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
sathis References, links to Work Measurement, Time Study Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
J Should I put References on a Resume? Career and Occupation Discussions 32
Q Looking for Lean Office Resources - Lean Office case studies, books, references Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
samer What are your references and standards in writing Job Descriptions? Career and Occupation Discussions 13