Do I need a Procedure for Continuous Improvement (CI)?

L

Lyndon Diong

Procedure for CI

Do I need a procedure (spec) for CI? If yes, what need to be stated?
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I don't know that you need a specific procedure right now - but it wouldn't be a bad idea. On the other hand, Continuous Improvement is a pretty wide rangeing thing - a procedure would be interesting.

For some reason I keep thinking someone posted a CI procedure here at some time - but I must be mixed up and thinking of something else because I looked and couldn't find it.

As an auditor, I would expect someone to be able to discuss what their company does for continuous improvement.

P

Paul Caffery

Ford use a process called QOS (Quality Operating System). The process is a continuous loop (as you would expect) that encompasses:
Customer Expectations
Internal key processes
Measurables for those processes
Trends of those measurables
Prediction of Downstream Performance
Constant Employee Awareness

The strength of the process (in my opinion) is that standardised processes and techniques are used throughout (no reinventing of the wheel required). Ford demand that their suppliers have an auditable QOS in place in order to qualify for the prestigious Q1 Award.

B

Batman

May I re-inforce Paul's comments re QOS. My personal reasons for utilizing QOS is the back and forth loop of Customer Expectations and getting the most important people - the front line folks - involved in the effort. It requires top management to determine (prioritize) continuous improvement initiatives, allocate the appropriate resources, chart progress and have scheduled reviews of that progress, and the product/process implementers get to participate.

D
I have created a procedure for Continuous Improvement in our facility. I don't have it here, as I am at home, but what it is comprised of is a suggestion box using a continuous improvement form I created myself. This form is filled out by any employee who has ideas , suggestions, etc. It goes to Supervisors meetings and has to be addressed. If the idea is not used as an improvement, it has to have an answere as to why and signed off by management. We are not ready for compliance yet, and I'm not sure if it will be enough. Does anyone know?

S

sherrio

For continuous improvement we have an management team structured to handle employee suggestions. We have also implemented a team project process. In summary our continous improvement team has met and has suggested several areas/processes for improvement. We then pick individuals representing each area of operation in our facility, and let them resolve the problem. This has worked out well for us on two areas: 1) we have several continous improvements documented and have resolved some QS900 issues. 2) we have improved relations between departments. I don't know if this answers your question, but hopefully it helps.

T

Ted Spickler

Our procedure is on two levels. There is a taught procedure for teams to employ when solving problems (similar to Six Sigma). On another level there is a management procedure which recognizes teams, charters them, tracks team projects, and finally judges team efforts in a yearly competition that takes teams upward from the site to the Division to the national corporate center. There are a number of problems we experience with this system, (it is by no means a well oiled machine) but at least we do get participation from the operator level on up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Do we need separate stand alone procedure for Suspect Unapproved Parts? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
L I need an example rework procedure/instruction for injected plastic parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Recycling Procedure (ISO9001) - Do I need a documented process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Need help developing an ECO (Engineering Change order) procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Does every procedure need to be included within a policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B Developing a Queue Management Procedure - Need some help writing a Proposal Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Z Does this Process need an established Documented Procedure? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q Need a new CA/PA Procedure to better interface with Portal Systems Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
G Change of procedure for handling new projects - do the ongoing ones need to follow? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Need Help with procedure on Metcal Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 9
S Do we need to have enough documents to support APQP procedure? APQP and PPAP 10
A Do you need a separate procedure for the 6 mandatory procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Does a Procedure need to have a metric assigned to determine its effectiveness? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Batch or Lot release in to market - Need product release procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Need a procedure or outline on Good Practices for Completing Quality Records/Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Do I need a Procedure on Legal Requirements? Regulated Insurance Sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Do I need a procedure for the procedure's template??? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
T Changes to document control procedure - need review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L Do we need a seperate procedure for each ISO 14001 sub clause? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
K Need DETAILED Procedure Template for Dental Insurance Co. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
T ISO 17025 Validation Procedure - Need Example ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
Crusader Spill Containment Procedure template - Need example Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
M Do I need a Procedure for Each Process? And the Interaction of Processes - TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
Howard Atkins What does the internal audit procedure for TS 16949 need to include? Clause 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 7
G Customer Owned or Customer Supplied Properties - Do we need a procedure anyway? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Q Do All Shifts Need to be Audited For Every Procedure? Internal Auditing 8
J Agilent Power Sensor Calibration - Need a Calibration Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
P Writing a general procedure for CMM programming - Need advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
J Caliper repair procedure - I need a caliper repair procedure for dial calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Non-sector specific requirements: Do I need to write a physical procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Quality Circles - What kind of procedure do I need and does anyone have one to share? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
N If we have a complete procedure in our Quality Manual do we need another one? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
D Need A Procedure for determining CMM Uncertianties General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A ISO 14001 Clause 4.4.2 - When do I need a procedure? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
E Procedure Numbering Change? Still the need for maintaining Level 1, 2, 3, documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Sunnen Gages - Need Operating Procedure and Manual General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
A Brexit When does the UK responsible person need to be in place? UK Medical Device Regulations 10
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
N IPC-A-630 - Is this free or do i really need to pay for it? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
silentmonkey How to decide what characteristics need to be verified during incoming inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Proof of Concept Studies - Do we need to comply with SAE reporting? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1