Do I need both AS9100 and ISO9001?

K

kanklam

We are a small machine shop with a 4-year-old ISO 9001:2008 cert and are now going after certification to AS9100C. Once we achieve the AS certification, is it necessary to maintain the ISO cert? Seems redundant and a waste of money. Anybody dealing with similar issue?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

natecsss

When you acheive AS9100 certification it automatically comes with an ISO 9001 certification so you aren't wasting money at all.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
The AS9100 standard takes the ISO standard and adds to it, so if you have AS9100 you have fulfilled the ISO9001.

For example, in the ISO9001 7.4.2 Purchasing Information section, it has items a through c. These are required by ISO9001. The AS9100 standard adds item d through i which are required by AS9100. The AS9100 standard adds the new requirements in bold text so you know what was ISO and what is AS9100. Below is what the AS9100 standard looks like using 7.4.2:

c) quality management system requirements,

d) the identification and revision status of specifications, drawings, process requirements, inspection/verification instructions and other relevant technical data,

In all cases, to get the AS9100 certification, you must adhere to everything (both bold and non-bold items).

Last edited:
J

Jeff Frost

More than likely you will have to request an ISO 9001 registration certification from you CB in addition to AS9100. Definitely get a stand-a-lone ISO 9001 as I have had a fair share of customers who would not accept AS9100 because of they did not know what it was.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
When you acheive AS9100 certification it automatically comes with an ISO 9001 certification so you aren't wasting money at all.
It primarily depends on the scope of your certificate but in most cases, companies that receive AS9100 do not have a separate ISO 9001 certificate.
The only situation that I can remember is when the scope for ISO 9001 included another product line and it was not part of AS9100 scope.

It primarily depends on the scope of your certificate but in most cases, companies that receive AS9100 do not have a separate ISO 9001 certificate.
The only situation that I can remember is when the scope for ISO 9001 included another product line and it was not part of AS9100 scope.
Many CBs issue both certificates.

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
AS9100 and ISO9001 were both on the single certificate I received from my registrar.

I would like to throw a spin into this conversation though.....

How is this going to shake out with the ISO9001:2015 revision? I haven't run across any statements that said that AS9100 was going to follow the new ISO9001:2015 format for its next revision.

It was fine to get the ISO9001 certification at the same time as AS9100 but if it now requires running two different versions / flavors at the same time, I don't know if ISO9001 is worth it. (P.S. I am currently running ISO13485 at the same time so I am already familiar with co-habitating multiple QMSs)

Big Jim

Super Moderator
AS9100 and ISO9001 were both on the single certificate I received from my registrar.

I would like to throw a spin into this conversation though.....

How is this going to shake out with the ISO9001:2015 revision? I haven't run across any statements that said that AS9100 was going to follow the new ISO9001:2015 format for its next revision.

It was fine to get the ISO9001 certification at the same time as AS9100 but if it now requires running two different versions / flavors at the same time, I don't know if ISO9001 is worth it. (P.S. I am currently running ISO13485 at the same time so I am already familiar with co-habitating multiple QMSs)
The IAQG has published that they intend to follow in about a year and have already published a draft.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Medical Device Distribution in Canada - Do we need both MDEL and MDL? Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
M Do I need to comply with both the MDD and the PED for my Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Project Man Do I need both a Supplier Return form and a Supplier Corrective Action Report form? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
C UL & CSA (Canadian Standards Association) Mark - Need to go to both parties for it? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S Frustration with Attitude of both Upper & Lower Management - Need To Vent Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 0
A Brexit When does the UK responsible person need to be in place? UK Medical Device Regulations 10
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
N IPC-A-630 - Is this free or do i really need to pay for it? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
silentmonkey How to decide what characteristics need to be verified during incoming inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Proof of Concept Studies - Do we need to comply with SAE reporting? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
G Need resources / tutorials about OPS (Operation) for ISO IT (Information Technology) Service Management 8
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Do we need to QA cert? We only plan to supply reagents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B We need a QMS: file-based templates or software Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
M AQL table - I need to sample 1250pcs AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
atitheya Need of conducting medical trials in European Union EU Medical Device Regulations 2