Do I need both AS9100 and ISO9001?

K

kanklam

We are a small machine shop with a 4-year-old ISO 9001:2008 cert and are now going after certification to AS9100C. Once we achieve the AS certification, is it necessary to maintain the ISO cert? Seems redundant and a waste of money. Anybody dealing with similar issue?

N

natecsss

When you acheive AS9100 certification it automatically comes with an ISO 9001 certification so you aren't wasting money at all.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
The AS9100 standard takes the ISO standard and adds to it, so if you have AS9100 you have fulfilled the ISO9001.

For example, in the ISO9001 7.4.2 Purchasing Information section, it has items a through c. These are required by ISO9001. The AS9100 standard adds item d through i which are required by AS9100. The AS9100 standard adds the new requirements in bold text so you know what was ISO and what is AS9100. Below is what the AS9100 standard looks like using 7.4.2:

c) quality management system requirements,

d) the identification and revision status of specifications, drawings, process requirements, inspection/verification instructions and other relevant technical data,

In all cases, to get the AS9100 certification, you must adhere to everything (both bold and non-bold items).

Last edited:
J

Jeff Frost

More than likely you will have to request an ISO 9001 registration certification from you CB in addition to AS9100. Definitely get a stand-a-lone ISO 9001 as I have had a fair share of customers who would not accept AS9100 because of they did not know what it was.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
When you acheive AS9100 certification it automatically comes with an ISO 9001 certification so you aren't wasting money at all.

It primarily depends on the scope of your certificate but in most cases, companies that receive AS9100 do not have a separate ISO 9001 certificate.
The only situation that I can remember is when the scope for ISO 9001 included another product line and it was not part of AS9100 scope.

AndyN

Moved On
It primarily depends on the scope of your certificate but in most cases, companies that receive AS9100 do not have a separate ISO 9001 certificate.
The only situation that I can remember is when the scope for ISO 9001 included another product line and it was not part of AS9100 scope.

Many CBs issue both certificates.

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
AS9100 and ISO9001 were both on the single certificate I received from my registrar.

I would like to throw a spin into this conversation though.....

How is this going to shake out with the ISO9001:2015 revision? I haven't run across any statements that said that AS9100 was going to follow the new ISO9001:2015 format for its next revision.

It was fine to get the ISO9001 certification at the same time as AS9100 but if it now requires running two different versions / flavors at the same time, I don't know if ISO9001 is worth it. (P.S. I am currently running ISO13485 at the same time so I am already familiar with co-habitating multiple QMSs)

Big Jim

Admin
AS9100 and ISO9001 were both on the single certificate I received from my registrar.

I would like to throw a spin into this conversation though.....

How is this going to shake out with the ISO9001:2015 revision? I haven't run across any statements that said that AS9100 was going to follow the new ISO9001:2015 format for its next revision.

It was fine to get the ISO9001 certification at the same time as AS9100 but if it now requires running two different versions / flavors at the same time, I don't know if ISO9001 is worth it. (P.S. I am currently running ISO13485 at the same time so I am already familiar with co-habitating multiple QMSs)

The IAQG has published that they intend to follow in about a year and have already published a draft.

Reactions: RCW
Top Bottom