Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application?

EMC_noob

Starting to get Involved
Dear experienced medtech developers,
In 510k summaries like K182768 (sorry, I'm not allowed to post links), you will find a sentence like "[the subject device] was tested to the following standards: 1) 60601-1 and 2) 60601-1-2. Later in the application (in this case under Performance Data, p. 7),the manufacturer mentions that they have done functional tests in accordance with 62366 (usability) and that their software is validated in accordance with 62304.

Does this mean that the manufacturer have undergone testing with a testing facility to produce test reports for 60601-1 and 60601-1-2 only, and that they simply comply with parts of the two other standards (62366 and 62304) and do not have test reports for those "extra" standards? Or put in a different way: Can I get away with brining up standards in my application without having to comply with all of them i.e. get a test reports for everything?

Hope it makes sense

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I am very comfortable in writing: 62304 is a process standard, there wouldn't be a meaningful certification from any external body. Depending on the Level of Concern (roughly commensurate with 62304 Software System Safety Classification), the 510(k) submission will have to submit specific artifacts. These required elements of the submission align with 62304 artifacts. The agency expects to see them, they wouldn't accept a "certification" that you happened to have them (but aren't sharing them) for a device anyway.

When it comes to Usability, I believe it is possible to have testing done that is motivated by the discrete parts of those standards (62366-1 and 62366-2) but as with software development a "certification" wouldn't really mean much.

The "compliance with" standards 62304, 62366ff would be demonstrated by specific artifacts in the submission and not some external certification.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
That's a tough one. I've had mixed experiences.

Because 14971 calls out 62304 and 62366, a 'normal' 60601-1 assessment by a lab will include both a software lifecycle review (compliance to 62304) and a usability engineering assessment (compliance to 62366). If included, the test lab will issue a report concluding (presumably) that compliance to those standards was demonstrated. You can opt out of those assessments.

I've seen FDA accept a manufacturer's assertion of compliance with the standards with no real supporting data or additional review. I've had NB reviewers say that either I get a test lab report OR they would do a comprehensive review (at about 2x the cost of the original review quote). So to @Tidge 's point about a meaningful certification, certainly the NB would accept the conclusions from an accredited lab. Again, that's my experience and so we always opt for the lab to do the assessments. That's the smoothest path for our clients.

mihzago

For the FDA submission you don't need a test lab report for 62304/62366. Neither standard has testable requirements, and FDA will review your software and usability documentation anyway.

For NB review, I've heard from several people (there was also a thread here recently on this topic) that NBs ask for a certification or will add review time.

EMC_noob

Starting to get Involved
Thank you all for your swift and thorough replies! That was exactly what I needed to move on with our application writing

Cheers

Tidge

This is just my opinion, based on working with NRTLs on 60601-1 testing: I put no value in a NRTL's assessment of 'compliance' to standards like 14971, 62304 or 62366. Some aspects of each is covered in the checklists for 60601-1 certification, but generally the NRTLs don't have folks with enough experience to recognize or evaluate the purpose of development standards like those. This is NOT to say that (some) NRTLs DON'T have some folks on site available to do "PEMS Assessments" (if they still refer to them this way) that can be tapped for some elements of software assessments... it's just that the folks at NRTLs aren't going to be particularly engaging partners when it comes to how a medical device design team uses (or abuses) 14971, 62304 or 62366.

I don't completely fault NRTLs on this point: By (business) design, they have to be focused on repeatable testing... but I got the sense that the third edition of 60601-1, specifically the 'revelation' that Risk Management is actually the source of something like Basic Safety, was greeted with both skepticism ("We know how to test for Safety") and snark ("So tell me about your Essential Performance, what tests do you think we should perform?"). Another mitigating factor for why I personally don't expect anything like 'excellence' from a NRTL with respect to process standards: every device designer has the freedom to develop their own processes, so given the possible variety it would be a waste of time for NRTLs to try to understand any of them.

EMC_noob

Starting to get Involved
This is just my opinion, based on working with NRTLs on 60601-1 testing: I put no value in a NRTL's assessment of 'compliance' to standards like 14971, 62304 or 62366. Some aspects of each is covered in the checklists for 60601-1 certification, but generally the NRTLs don't have folks with enough experience to recognize or evaluate the purpose of development standards like those. This is NOT to say that (some) NRTLs DON'T have some folks on site available to do "PEMS Assessments" (if they still refer to them this way) that can be tapped for some elements of software assessments... it's just that the folks at NRTLs aren't going to be particularly engaging partners when it comes to how a medical device design team uses (or abuses) 14971, 62304 or 62366.

I don't completely fault NRTLs on this point: By (business) design, they have to be focused on repeatable testing... but I got the sense that the third edition of 60601-1, specifically the 'revelation' that Risk Management is actually the source of something like Basic Safety, was greeted with both skepticism ("We know how to test for Safety") and snark ("So tell me about your Essential Performance, what tests do you think we should perform?"). Another mitigating factor for why I personally don't expect anything like 'excellence' from a NRTL with respect to process standards: every device designer has the freedom to develop their own processes, so given the possible variety it would be a waste of time for NRTLs to try to understand any of them.
Excellent points, Tidge! After having had my first real encounter with the test labs in assessing our 60601-1 procedures, I also found that they didn't have sufficient experience with software in order to critically review the SW parts of our documentation, and that they suggested hardware solutions whenever the software was deemed high risk.

Tidge

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I also found that they didn't have sufficient experience with software in order to critically review the SW parts of our documentation, and that they suggested hardware solutions whenever the software was deemed high risk.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was exactly what the NRTL said, but even if the remark isn't precise, it is indicative of why I shake my head at certain NRTL interactions. Software isn't a Hazard (at least not until we are completely robotic), and the (medical) risk associated with software is derived completely from the nature of the functions allocated to the software, so it is rather presumptuous of a NRTL to propose alternate technological solution, i.e. "don't use software", just because the developer has done a thorough risk analysis.

As I wrote above: I don't hold NRTLs in contempt for this sort of ignorance. I do think that NRTLs should be more understanding and less rigid when it comes to their interaction with manufacturers when it comes to process standards like 14971, 62304 and 62366. I completely understand that decades of manufacturers rationalizing (prior 3rd edition) why a device ought to be able to skirt the requirements of 2nd edition has made the NRTLs peculiarly stubborn... I just want them to be more open about the different between safety requirements of a standard and the development process that leads to safe devices.

Many years ago it looked like one of the major NRTL was moving in a direction where they would have a separate individual (distinct from the 'test team') explicitly to act as the receptacle and processor for the process-related documents that get provided as part of that NRTL's generic '60601-1 checklist'.. my understanding was that this individual (and it was essentially a single person) was going to act as the filter between the 'test guru' and the manufacturer to make sure that the test guru was asking meaningful questions (that didn't already have answers in the process required documentation, such as within risk assessments) and could make sure that the manufacturer understood the specific nature of questions (with the necessary tie to the standards under consideration). I don't know what became of that initiative, as my last interaction with the NRTL involved no small amount of training their 'test team' to several different process standards. We literally had to write memo after memo for them where we quoted little more than the just standards' text and the informative annexes.

EMC_noob

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Likewise! We are a small startup engaging with this process for the first time more or less. Although having accepted that we are pretty much at the mercy of the test labs, it is a bit frustrating to have the feeling that our test outcome would have been drastically more different if the testers were a bit more code savvy. Oh well, we'll find a way through it!

Thanks again

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T I need to make test reports according IEC 62304 & IEC 62366 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 2
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Transformer Overload Test - Need help IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Do I need to test "as built" for an expanded ISO Class 8 Clean Room ? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
T Need to repeat IEC 60601-1-2 test agains ed3.0 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Z My first Gage R&R - Paper/Poly/Foil Material Bond Test, need help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
T Zinc Phosphate Test Panels look bad - Need Help Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Blood Pressure Transducers - Need to perform EMC test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S Drug of Abuse (DOA) Test Strips - Do we need more testing? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Y Is it weird for my conducted immunity (4-6) test result? Need help. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
I How Specific Does our TS Test/Lab Scope need to be? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T Need to design a test to measure inspection effectiveness Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
S Need help to test my excel worksheet based on ISO 3951 Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
H Wavetek 9100 fails self-test - Need Service Manual source General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
H Maintaining Certification - Do you need to take the test again? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
B CNC test pieces for milling and turning - I need to run a process capability study General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Need 3 appraisers for GR&R (Gage R&R) of Automatic Test Measurements? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D I need a copy of a Material Test Results Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Help, I need documentation of materials test (norms) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Hi , everyone i need a procedure for validation of design prototype api 6d (valve manufacturing) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
J Do we need to raise concessions for every noted deviation under AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Need to set up a "crisis management and business continuity plan" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D MDR technical file: does it need to contain duplicates of controlled documents EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Customer Returns / RMA's & the need for NCR's AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
T Need advice on what inspection equipment to buy. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Sam.F Do heat treatment ovens need calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
T Need 5 why’s help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
H Need guidance on importation of Custom-made devices into Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
T Need help understanding AS6174 clause 3.1.5. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B Spare parts of medical device need CE mark? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F Change in address for critical supplier - does NB need to be informed? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 20
leftoverture REACH Folks - We Need Common Sense! RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 23
B Whose waste carrier licence do I need? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
I I need some fun examples of teaching the 5 Whys Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 43
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C I need some clearing on requirements of Asuring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C Need help in determining applicable clause for an audit finding (based on AS9120B) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
E Need some peer advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
S Need clarification on UKCA and "Approved Body" UK Medical Device Regulations 7
S What types of changes need to be notified to NBs? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
B Do I need a Cleanroom to manufacture Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J CMO in Canada do they need MDSAP/13485 certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Attempting to Poke Yoke a wire crimping process...need help Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
C Need to understand difference between an actual Calibration vs. a Calibration check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S How many tester quantity we need on the line based on the cycle time and peak volume Manufacturing and Related Processes 3