Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL?

Tyler

Involved In Discussions
Per AS9100, we are supposed to maintain an approved list of suppliers. I have always assumed that this requirement only applied for vendors that directly impact product quality (e.g., raw materials providers, manufacturers, processors, etc.); however, I am wondering if this requirement is more broad in its reach. In particular, I need to know if the following types of vendors need to be added to the approved supplier list.
  • Registrars
  • Machine Maintenance Service Providers
  • Machine Vendors
  • Software Vendors (e.g., ERP)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Thee Bouyyy

Multiple Personalities
Decide who are the critical suppliers and non-critical suppliers according to your business/organization.

We have included machine maintenance service providers and machine vendors (proof machining) into non-critical category provided that they do not much impact on our product quality.

For Registrars and software vendors, we included Justification note in our Quality Manual that, why we are not considering that in our AVL. Till now it works well.

I don't think you need to. Closer reading of 8.4.1 a-c shows that you need to control suppliers when a) they supply products and services when they are intended for use in your own products and services, b) products and services drop shipped, and c) they provide a process or part of a process.

This is a change from AS9100C where it only said you need to approve suppliers. This was generally interpreted to include any suppliers that affected your quality management system.

MVladimir

Involved - Posts
Machine Maintenance Service Providers/Organizations provide the SERVICE PROCESS of maintaining production equipment in working order. The quality of this process directly impacts on product quality and safety.
In my opinion, AS9100C was more correct in part of this section.

You certainly can control any of the suppliers beyond what the standard requires if you see value in it. The question was what does the standard require.

MVladimir

Involved - Posts
I agree.
But exact text of standard is:

The organization shall determine the controls to be applied to externally provided processes, products, and services when:
c. a process, or part of a process, is provided by an external provider as a result of a decision by the organization.
Standard doesn't specify the PRODUCTION process. It says about any process, including Service one.

I agree.
But exact text of standard is:

The organization shall determine the controls to be applied to externally provided processes, products, and services when:
c. a process, or part of a process, is provided by an external provider as a result of a decision by the organization.
Standard doesn't specify the PRODUCTION process. It says about any process, including Service one.

According to your interpretation, a & b are not needed as c covers everything.

One of the biggest failures in the whole ISO 9000 standards and its derivatives is the failure to properly define what they mean by a process.

To make this even more confusing they added in "as a decision by the organization". Does that mean that if it was mandated by the standard or a customer it need not be controlled?

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
One of the biggest failures in the whole ISO 9000 standards and its derivatives is the failure to properly define what they mean by a process.
Failure, and benefit.

A process is defined as an activity or set of inter-related activities which transforms inputs into outputs in ISO 9000.

ISO 9001 tells the organization to identify what these are (as per 4.4.1).

Failure to embrace the process approach usually results in to a bunch of disjointed documents that turn people off from "Quality".

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
ISO 9001 tells the organization to identify what these are (as per 4.4.1).
And how many Aerospace Auditors performing audits under the IAQG ICOP scheme totally disregard the BUSINESS processes that should be identified as QMS processes and end up cutting it down to a few, totally generic "processes" for the sake of having fewer PEAR forms to fill out ?

The problem is not the definition of the term process; the problem is the decades old failure to make the obvious connection between the BUSINESS PROCESSES and QMS processes, as they were separate and disconnected.....until the organization understands that the QMS HAS to be embedded in the operational processes they run, day in, day out, they haven't seen the light...

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Considering the totality of 8.4 it seems clear that some suppliers can affect the quality of the products and services you provide and some don't. Determine those that do, and determine appropriate controls for them.

Others, like the people who mow your grass and the office supply store that sells you ink pens and paper, do not require these controls.

Because some auditors can make your life miserable if you don't, I suggest you note in your procedures that the suppliers in the second category are excluded from your controls.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Do I need to add everything on print to control plan? FMEA and Control Plans 1
H Need to add a concentrate (only) to an already approved IMDS Submission RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
T Updating to ISO 9001:2008 - I need to add section 7.3 Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
S Need to change multi-site TS 16949 certification to add another company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
T I need an add-in for excel that I can use for SPC (Statistical Process Control) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
S How many tester quantity we need on the line based on the cycle time and peak volume Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 14
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
G Need Help with Run @ Rate for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
F Need help in IMS management review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S I need help in corrective action plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Do clinical performance studies for IVDs need to be conducted in a member state? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Weird spec sheet - need help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
J Japan registration need manual without temperature reading Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
R Need for an Importer outside EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Need Help With Auditing Suppliers Against ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
B Need assistance with documents CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ashland78 Need to show evidence in accordance with QR-11012 and SPB-00001-09 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
S In Need of GIDEP Guidance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Do employee training records need to be controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D What evidence to I need to supply as a remote location in relation to manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 18
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
F Need Quality Manager advice. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Do CTQs need to be equipment specific? FMEA and Control Plans 8
K Do Contract Manufacturers need a complaint procedure? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D Do employee training records need to be centralized? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
H Need of EU Representative Designation for Turkey? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H If we use agile - do we still need to document TF as a waterfall just for the notified bodies need? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
briteme4 AS9102 First Article Inspection - do I need a second reviewer and signer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Furnace repaired - Do I need a new initial TUS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Need ISO 15189:2012 Documentation toolkit. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
J Need a contract monitoring Tool General Information Resources 0
P UDI-PI requirements on reusable surgical device, do we need serialisation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7