Do I need to perform Gage R&R on a Digital Temperature & Humidity Gage

B

bstowers

I have a digital temperature gage (temp/humid), it is permanently in place, never to be moved. Do I have to perform gage R&R, if so, how? If not, where can I find the supporting evidence in the MSA 4th Edition?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource
We have a couple of the same instruments in our calibration lab and testing lab. No automotive customer or ISO/TS 16949 auditor has ever required a GR&R on it. It just needs to be calibrated, in my opinion.

We do have some portable contact digital thermometers that we assess with GR&R. That's because the results can vary depending on the operator (probe time constant, length of time on the surface and how well the probe contacts the surface). We do it on our own behalf; no auditor required us to do it.

B

bstowers

Thank you for your response! That assures me what I am doing is correct, but my biggest struggle is finding the evidence to support our opinion. I've tried reading the MSA 4th Edition to get proof, but I'm just not sure if I'm seeing it... Just incase auditors ever do ask.. I would need a solid answer.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have a digital temperature gage (temp/humid), it is permanently in place, never to be moved. Do I have to perform gage R&R, if so, how? If not, where can I find the supporting evidence in the MSA 4th Edition?
First, what is the digital thermometer used for? If it sits on a wall in a lab to monitor the temp/humid, then calibration is your MSA per se. MSA are done on measurement systems (people, procedure, equipment, etc.). The way you describe it, it just a gage, under calibration and not a measurement system.

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource
Thank you for your response! That assures me what I am doing is correct, but my biggest struggle is finding the evidence to support our opinion. I've tried reading the MSA 4th Edition to get proof, but I'm just not sure if I'm seeing it... Just in case auditors ever do ask.. I would need a solid answer.
I have always believed that MSA is applicable to measurement systems that assess product conformance. I can't find that in writing, but in the Purpose statement of the MSA manual, it clearly states that MSA's "primary focus is measurement systems where readings can be replicated on each part."

That would seem to exclude devices such as temperature and humidity monitors. There's only one operator and one "part," so MSA can't be invoked. That's a stretch, though, and I hope the AIAG can be more specific in future editions of the MSA manual.

D

deven_17

Hi,

For such Devices, MSA study can be done for Bias, Linearity & Stability. Calibration is the process to be used to come out of the variations mentioned above.

Thanks,
Deven Malhotra

B

bstowers

Yes, that is all it is used for, sitting on a wall monitoring temp/humid.
Thank you for the input!

B

bstowers

Thank you WCHorn! That does make more sense now stated that way, thank you for your help!

J

JessLove

Hi,

For such Devices, MSA study can be done for Bias, Linearity & Stability. Calibration is the process to be used to come out of the variations mentioned above.

Thanks,
Deven Malhotra
I have a similar question...

I have temperature and pH being measured continuously inline on several pieces of equipment. Because those items are listed on our Control Plan we had an Auditor cite a finding because there were no MSAs performed on them. How do I perform an MSA for a probe that has no operator influence and is measured automatically?

I have calibration data but the auditor was not satisfied with that.

Thanks

Jess

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
A Do we need to perform Qualification and Validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Do we need to perform Analytical Method Validation upon Relocation? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Blood Pressure Transducers - Need to perform EMC test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
W Do 3rd party testing labs need NRTL certification to perform testing for FDA conforma ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Do HF Accessories need to perform a Risk Management Process of 60601-1:2005? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Quality Planning - What tools we need to use to perform quality planning? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
C Do I need to perform design verification Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
T What do I need to perform a GR&R on a feedback autogage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Do we need to perform Stability, Linearity & Bias study for Attribute data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Proof of Concept Studies - Do we need to comply with SAE reporting? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
G Need resources / tutorials about OPS (Operation) for ISO IT (Information Technology) Service Management 8
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Do we need to QA cert? We only plan to supply reagents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B We need a QMS: file-based templates or software Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
M AQL table - I need to sample 1250pcs AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
atitheya Need of conducting medical trials in European Union EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I IATF16949 Audit Preparation, Need "searchable" ANPQP 3.1 or latest IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Does Class 1 Medical Device need to be certified to MDSAP? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5