SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Do I Need to Write a CAR for..... (All Opinions Wanted :) )

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Friends,

I am curious to get everyones opinion on what really needs a CAR or not. I have been writing them for a number of years, and since our company has grown and business has increased dramatically, I find I am writing one after another.

Little Background: Our company produces plastic pellets per our customer's specifications - the pellets are eventually extruded into medical catheters and / or medical devices.

Our current system requires that I write a CAR for any internal rejection. Basically if we have to fix it, a CAR is initiated. But I have come across several delimmas.

For example, a customer specifies that we use a colorant that when compounded into the plastic has a horrible dispersion. We, seeing this, have to run it over again to produce a more acceptable dispersion. Would this really be a reason to write a CAR? Since it's not our fault really?

We have been in other similiar situations like this that are out of our control. My gut tells me that I am wasting my time writing these up, but then my head states that because it is additional work I should make it a point to bring it up to the managers - This way if it is required we can quote the work correctly.

Thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Q

Quality_Steve

Re: Do I Need to Write a CAR for..... (All Opinions Wanted :) )

Hello,

I am wondering how you are able to produce a more acceptable dispersion by simply running it over? Do you change any factors in the production of the pellets? If you are able to make adjustments to the formula or process to make it work the second time, why can't it be done right the first time?

I don't know much about plastics so maybe these are dumb questions. I'm just trying to see if there is something that is in your control that you might be overlooking because you might be too close to the process.

Steve

NikkiQSM

As I have been told, and truely believe, there are no dumb questions.

The colorant is very stubborn - so it is impossible to disperse it evenly with affecting the physical properties of the resin carrier. Giving it another heat history and introducing it back into the extruder blends the agglomerates of colorant to a more even dispersion. Basically, we dont change anything when it goes through again.

We could definately produce a product with perfect color dispersion, in one shot, if we were allowed to change the formulation - but as I mentioned, it is all customer specified, so we must use what they tell us to use.

Big Jim

Super Moderator

Back to your basic question. If I read it correctly, you are asking if you need to perform a full blown corrective action every time you recognize a problem.

You do not. You are permitted to make correction without going through the added determination of cause and how to prevent it from happening again when appropriate. That is, you do not, unless you say that you will, so you need to re-visit your procedure and give yourself some wiggle room.

In ISO 9000, correction is defined as action taken to overcome a nonconformance. Corrective action is defined as action taken to overcome the CAUSE of a nonconformance.

It may help to add a layer for a discrepant material report or something of that nature to handle corrections, and then review all of those to determine which ones should be elevated to a corrective action.

As you have discovered, attempting to perform corrective action on everything that comes along ends up not being very effective and consumes a lot of unnecessary time.

Q

Quality_Steve

In our procedure, we write up Corrective Action Requests which then are put in front of the Leadership Team to review and decide which requests to act on based on "bang for the buck" and the other are marked as closed without further action. They stay in the log this way so I can watch for trends. Minor problems start to reveal a bigger issue once you see the trends.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
there is a difference between quality system non-compliances and product non-conformances.

Typically Product non-conformances are simply 'fixed' (rework or scrap). CARs are NOT required...CARs are only written when it desired to get at root cause so a corrective action that will prevent re-occurence can be implemented. and some companies don't write CARs for this - they just launch projects...

As for quality system for non compliances, not all (interanl) findings require a corrective action as stated above. My organization only issues CARs for serious non-conformances or for repeat/systemic non-complaince...it's a choice...

NikkiQSM

Thanks so much for the input... I took a look at all the CARs I wrote, and O-M-G..... If I were to change those CARs to simple NCMR's instead, my CAR count would be reduce drastically...

Everything makes a lot more sense now...

Thanks for all the help!!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Nikki, try looking at these types of issues outside the regular CAR system if it helps - In the Looking For Excel Template for Tracking & Trending Rejections thread you're running I am sending you to elephant charts and a CA log I have attached in the Cove.

I hope to not add an administrative burden, but to instead offer a chance to keep track of trends and what's been done for them outside the formal CAR system, which I agree is meant for management system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Starting to write a Quality System Manual - Import/export medical devices - Need help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Need guide to write email/letter to hiring manager Career and Occupation Discussions 3
E How many procedures do I really need to write for TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Non-sector specific requirements: Do I need to write a physical procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Do CTQs need to be equipment specific? FMEA and Control Plans 8
K Contract Manufacturer Do they need a complaint procedure? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 8
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D Do employee training records need to be centralized? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
H Need of EU Representative Designation for Turkey? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H If we use agile - do we still need to document TF as a waterfall just for the notified bodies need? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
briteme4 AS9102 First Article Inspection - do I need a second reviewer and signer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Furnace repaired - Do I need a new initial TUS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Need ISO 15189:2012 Documentation toolkit. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
J Need a contract monitoring Tool General Information Resources 0
P UDI-PI requirements on reusable surgical device, do we need serialisation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
W 17025 and NIST handbook relationship (need advice) ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
K Need procedure for D&D inputs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Need help on "Country of Origin" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Immediate need for 80601-2-56 Consulting expert. PM me for details Career and Occupation Discussions 0
Tagin You're Gonna Need a Bigger Root Cause Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
M PSA Suppliers - CSR matrix and need the quality manual of PSA APQP and PPAP 6
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
K "World Class Product" based QM. I need advice. Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
I Do I need to sign off my annual audit calendar? Internal Auditing 2
P Do we need to retrospectively use the "MD" symbol (indicating device is a medical device) on labels, e.g. finished devices within expiration date? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Do I need separation in my circuit with a medical charger? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D Low risk IVD study in the UK, do I need MHRA approval? UK Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Do Software Subcontractors need to be ISO13485 compliant in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Do I need a "State of the art" plan? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Need advice for schooling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R What information do i need to get from the device manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Need guidance on project ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Need MSA 4th ed. compliant attribute MSA template General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Need Change Control Yes/No Decision Tree Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Does an accessory need an IFU if it use is discussed in the Parent device IFU? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B Countries with no need for FSC (Free sales certificate) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 4
A Brexit When does the UK responsible person need to be in place? UK Medical Device Regulations 10
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
N IPC-A-630 - Is this free or do i really need to pay for it? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0