Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope?

Dan M

Involved In Discussions
Hi,
We have an automotive customer. The fluid we produce ends up on the vehicle. However, the customer does not require suppliers to be certified to IATF 16949. In fact, the Customer's supplier quality manual only states ISO 9001 as a supplier requirement. In audit planning, our CB asks us to list the customer and products. Do we need to include this customer in the scope of our IATF audit? Some background: not all of the customers and products we manufacture are automotive, so we have many customers and products that are not relevant to the IATF audit. Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
You have the nightmare scenario. Technically, all automotive customers whether they subscribe to IATF or not are supposed to be included. So yes, you need to include that customer. But you also have the situation where some products are non-automotive. You'll need to identify what is and what isn't automotive. Otherwise, you'll be stuck dealing with auto requirements on products that don't need them. Good luck.

Pau Calvo

Starting to get Involved
If you are IATF certified it means that your quality system must be compliance, therefore all your products must be indeed IATF compliance. If that is not the case you might have issues with the ISO9001 since you are not compliance with your own system for the non-auto products.
It is important to not mix product requeriment with system requeriments, IATF is system requirement.
An other thing is that your IATF audit scope only should target auto products.

Golfman25

If you are IATF certified it means that your quality system must be compliance, therefore all your products must be indeed IATF compliance. If that is not the case you might have issues with the ISO9001 since you are not compliance with your own system for the non-auto products.
It is important to not mix product requeriment with system requeriments, IATF is system requirement.
An other thing is that your IATF audit scope only should target auto products.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. IATF doesn't apply to non-auto products. So for example, you can have different ISO auditors vs. IATF auditors which require more qualifications as laid out in the standard.

Pau Calvo

Starting to get Involved
My comment was a bit off-topic.

What I want to say is that if your quality system is IATF and you do not apply it for non-automotive parts that can lead to a non-conformity in a ISO 9001 audit for the non-automotive parts since you are not respecting your own quality system.
Therefore your non-automotive parts will have same system requeriments than your automotive parts.

Regarding the question of the OP if your product is applied to automotive industry and you have to go through an IATF audit you must include the customer. The auditor must target only the references related to automotive industry.

Golfman25

My comment was a bit off-topic.

What I want to say is that if your quality system is IATF and you do not apply it for non-automotive parts that can lead to a non-conformity in a ISO 9001 audit for the non-automotive parts since you are not respecting your own quality system.
Therefore your non-automotive parts will have same system requeriments than your automotive parts.

Regarding the question of the OP if your product is applied to automotive industry and you have to go through an IATF audit you must include the customer. The auditor must target only the references related to automotive industry.
There are some things that over lap and make sense to apply to both automotive and non-automotive. However there are a lot of areas where automotive requirements are overkill. So we make exceptions for those. Auto is handled one way and non-auto can be handled with less stringent requirements. PPAP process and the AIAG books (which are usually required by CSRs) is one area for example.

Ron Rompen

My own personal experience with this has taught me that (in the end) it is easier to have ONE quality management system which is applied to ALL products, no matter who/what the customer is. If you try and differentiate between two product types (one IATF, one not) then you will invariably end up with some employees working under the wrong system for the wrong parts. Much simpler to have it all the same.

Golfman25

My own personal experience with this has taught me that (in the end) it is easier to have ONE quality management system which is applied to ALL products, no matter who/what the customer is. If you try and differentiate between two product types (one IATF, one not) then you will invariably end up with some employees working under the wrong system for the wrong parts. Much simpler to have it all the same.
So IATF essentially requires ISO certified suppliers with plans to get to IATF. ISO requires no such thing. Would you use ISO suppliers on products where you're better off with those that choose not to go ISO (ie: one/two man shops -- who offer better cost, delivery and quality)? I would say, no. You're procedures should contain exceptions for non-auto products.

Pau Calvo

Starting to get Involved
So IATF essentially requires ISO certified suppliers with plans to get to IATF. ISO requires no such thing. Would you use ISO suppliers on products where you're better off with those that choose not to go ISO (ie: one/two man shops -- who offer better cost, delivery and quality)? I would say, no. You're procedures should contain exceptions for non-auto products.
I totally agree with you in that point, but you can use a QAA to address that point is no need to have the IATF certification requeriment for suppliers in your procedure. In my opinion procedures should be much more generalistics.

Golfman25

I totally agree with you in that point, but you can use a QAA to address that point is no need to have the IATF certification requeriment for suppliers in your procedure. In my opinion procedures should be much more generalistics.
Then you're essentially running under two systems.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Crimpshrine13 IATF 16949 Audits to include Processes and Products from Non Subscribing Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C Fact or fiction - Repeat minor becomes a major IATF non-conformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.3 - Justification for non-certified suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
P Are red non-conformance bins required anywhere in the ISO or IATF standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A IATF 16949 - Non-conformity on 5.1.1.2 Process effectiveness and efficiency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B IATF 16949: Definition Major/Minor Non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S Do you follow your QMS for non-device software features? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
J Can we register non-device clinical decision support software under draft guidance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
M Selling non-CE marked devices for evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
N How to find column number for the last non-empty column? Using Minitab Software 0
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
3 Non-conformance Register vs Corrective Action Register ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
G Competent Authority non-EU Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 7
F Non conforming locked? Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M Changing Investigational Device from Non-Sterile to Sterile - what are the implications? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J Informal vs formal scope creep... managing non-medical devices through system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Not accepting a non conformity during an audit General Auditing Discussions 11
J In-house (NHS) manufacture and use (by staff) of non-medical devices.. any regulations apply? UK Medical Device Regulations 6
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Brexit Mandate for EU Authorised Representative for non medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L Water requirement for Non-sterile topical OTCs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Advice on how to reduce overhead of handling non-conforming material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
G Team to analyze a non conformance Customer Complaints 26
J Promoting and marketing of a non approved device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
G 0 non conformities in registrar audits over 4 years Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
S Non parametric test for semi-quantitative data. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Free Sales Certificate for Non Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P Ppk results shown as asterisk after the transformation of Non-normal data Using Minitab Software 4
I When is necessary to have RoHS declaration on non-electrical parts? REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
Johnnymo62 Non Aerospace topics - Anything for military trucks, trailers, Humvee type vehicles? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Who are the go to companies for non-destructive hardness testing? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Non conformance (NC) or Corrective & Preventive action (CAPA) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M How does IEC-60601-1 apply to a non-medical device in the patient vicinity? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7