Do signatures need to appear on procedures to indicate review and approval?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I posted this as general info, however as I re-read it, i do disagree. In a big company the reviewer and approver *may* be different people. Nowhere does it state that these can not be done by the same person and quite often this is the case.

--------snippo--------

Subject: Q: Review and Approval of ISO Docs/Sullivan/Arter
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:02:46 -0600

Earlier, Bill Sullivan wrote:
>Do signatures need to appear on procedures to indicate review and
>approval?

No. The ACT of review and approval is required. How you care to capture the fact that this act occurred, is up to you. When I was responsible for procedures (many, many years ago!), I kept a separate form in MY file folder to show who reviewed the draft document and who finally approved that document. Yes, I used signatures on this form, but I didn't have to.

Remember, too, that REVIEW and APPROVAL are two different things. REVIEW is performed by colleagues, who make sure that the process described will actually work and is technically sound. It is also known as "peer review." Most successful organizations require several different individuals, from several different disciplines, to perform the REVIEW. On the other hand, APPROVAL is an administrative thing. It is the act of affirming that a) the document is technically sound, and b) it contains everything it is supposed to contain, in the proper format. Little actual thinking is required to APPROVE a document; therefor, it is normally done by a manager. [Dilbert-ish smile]

>Is it sufficient to have a separate log with signatures indicating
>approval?
>

Sure.
-------------------------------------
Dennis R. Arter, "The Audit Guy"

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Csaba

Could you suggest me what's the best solution for electric documentation control and distribution; and how to control same documents (eg procedures) in different sites; and how to work Review, Approve, Sign-off and Obsolete phase in electric documentation.

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
There are so many solutions it's amazing. I would try a forum search here for DOCUMENTATION. There are a number of threads. The biggest point is there are many variables (everything from your company size to network implementation to PC capabilities, and on and on) that your company has to take a close up look and see what is appropriate for your company.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
qualprod To raise a NC beyond the audit scope? Two signatures were missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Electronic handwritten signatures for approvals - Signed with a Stylus or a Finger Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C 21 CFR Part 11- What about handwritten signatures? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P FDA inspections and electronic signatures Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Signatures on C of Cs (Certificate of Conformity) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
L Part 11 Certified to legally binding of hand written signatures Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
JoshuaFroud Addressing wet ink signatures when more than one site is involved 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
T Requirement of signatures anywhere in IATF ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T Stamps vs Signatures - Stamps as inspection/approval sign-off vs. Initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
V Use of e-records and e-Signatures in Clinical Investigations Under 21 CFR part 11 Q&A Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
K 21 CFR Part 11 (and EU) compliant Digital Signatures on a Production Line Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
K 21 CFR Part 11 Biometrics for electronic signatures Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
D Anyone Practicing Approval Signatures on Every Page of a Doc? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S 21 CFR 11 - Require paper and hand signatures not electronic Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
F Electronic Signatures (21CFR Part 11) - Must They Appear on Printed Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R Service Recommendation for Excel Digital Signatures Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Genuine Signatures vs. Rubber Stamp (Approval) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
sagai Signatures for Documents and Records 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
D Are signatures required on every page of a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
I Is a Register of Signatures Required by ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
C Reasons for Approval Signatures for Records 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
Q Space in Forms for Auditor's Signatures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Performer, Verifier, Reviewer & Approver Signatures on a Quality Record US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
B Guidance Document or Regulation Reference for Scanned Signatures (FDA/EMEA) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J Unsigned Certification of Conformance (Electronic Signatures) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
D FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant Digital (electronic) Signatures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Training Record Signatures Requirements - Software aspect Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
R 21 CFR Part 11: Electronic Signatures Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
Ron Rompen Computerized Electronic Signatures on Inspection Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
Marc Signatures - Registered Visitor 'Signatures' - What is and isn't allowed Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
M Original written signatures vs. Copies/scans/faxes/electronic documents US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 24
D Project Planning Approval Board Approval signatures - FDA regulated medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Moving from physical signatures to a paperless QMS - Process and approval sign offs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
D TS16949 Audit Finding to 7.5.2 - Required Signatures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
I Could We use electronic signatures rather than manual sign offs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
kmyers Question about paperless signature - Electronic signatures in outlook emails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Document Approvals and 21 CFR 11 - Electronic signatures and approvals Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
K Application of Electronic Records & Signatures in Calibration Management Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
Q Using Faxed Hand Signatures for Approval Records US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 17
T Applying Scanned Signatures to Documents for Signing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M Date Stamping for Electronic signatures Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Signatures Requirements for Design phase documents Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Gert Sorensen Validation of Electronic Signatures on Multiple Servers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
Claes Gefvenberg Interesting Cove signatures Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 65
G Facsimile Signatures on Certificate of Conformance Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
K Revision date vs. Date(s) the revision was signed - Approval signatures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J 21 CFR Part 11 - Securing Electronic signatures using Adobe Acrobat Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q Should electronic copies of Procedures show the approval signatures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5