Do subjects pay for a medical implant in PMCF study?

Sarvesh95

Clinical Research Offi
Hi,:bigwave:

I'm quite new to medical device industry, Our Organization is going to start a PMCF/PMS study in India and Europe as well. Since medical implants are very costly, do subjects need to pay for an implant? I have worked in a Pharmaceutical company where drugs are given to subjects free of cost and their travelling expenses are reimbursed.

Also, what should be the sample size in a PMCF study.

(I apologize if my questions are too dumb, I am a fresher. :) )

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

paulag

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

for the EU, you could begin with studying the MEDDEV guidance for PMCF studies (MEDDEV 2.12.2) and maybe ISO 14155 for overall clinical study requirements.

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
For a Post market clinical follow up I would say that it depends very much on how novel your product is, whether it is normal treatment and whether you gain anything more than just a regulatory tick. Finally it comes down to what you are able to negotiate! try to approach it from a commercial point of view as well

If your follow up is not out of the norm of usual operations within the clinical setting and you already have good data supporting product efficacy then you can probably charge for the device and pay the HCP to write up for you

If your device is novel, the study is complex, requiring specific patient groups, blinded, multicentre and outside the norm of standard care (essentially requiring significant additional burden for both patient and HCPs) and you could benefit from a study that could then be used by your marketing team then I expect you would have to pay for everything

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna ISO 14155:2011 - Clinical Investigation of Medical Devices for Human Subjects Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Paul Simpson HMRC Article - Data Disks Lost - Bank records of 25 million UK subjects The Reading Room 2
H How to define QCC (Quality Control Circle) Subjects Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 21
G What Subjects do you Teach? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 48
M IT security subjects - Auditor suggested we implement BS 7799 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Do I have to register with the FDA and pay fee? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
N Damaged Load Cell After Calibration - Who Should Pay? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Jim Wynne Don't Pay the Ransom Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
G How much to pay a Freelance Six Sigma Trainer in India Six Sigma 1
T Promotion with Less Pay and more hours Career and Occupation Discussions 37
K How do I oblige the company to give my last pay and benefits? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
S What would be the best way to pay taxes? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
L TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - Should we pay for this ? APQP and PPAP 4
somashekar What does one pay for a Safe Product? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E Is there a need to pay for the symbol quoted in ISO 3826-2:2008? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Inferences from Distribution? (Average per hour/the average pay of the staff) Six Sigma 2
tony wardle What do you pay for Electricity per kWh? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
M Register, list and pay the Device Facility User Fee with FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
Wes Bucey Is this a fair rate of pay for this job listing? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Jim Wynne "Business Coach" Touts Basing Pay on KPIs Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 43
ScottK Can ISO 17025 be turned on and off depending on what you pay for? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
Gert Sorensen Upper Management Pay - I seriously don't understand this Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
Wes Bucey Skills that Pay the Best Career and Occupation Discussions 12
Stuart Andrews PPAP training slides required - will pay! APQP and PPAP 10
Marc Delphi Workers Accept Pay Cuts World News 0
J How much do we need to pay for consultants? Consultants and Consulting 38
D Learn To Pay Attention! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
Marc Demystifying Salary Information - Negotiating your pay Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C QMS Needs a Shake Up! People on the shop floor really don't pay any attention to it Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Marc Pilots suffered pay cuts, now pilots want payback World News 0
Marc Oil Company CEO Pay Averaged $32.7 Million in 2005, Study Says World News 2
ScottK Are there eBayers dumb enough to pay outrageous shipping? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
Marc Executives in Europe seek pay ? la U.S. World News 2
F Travel Expenses for Assessors - Registrar states we pay "reasonable travel expenses" Registrars and Notified Bodies 27
Z Apogee V2.5 - No correction mapping unless I pay $8,000+ Software Quality Assurance 6
Marc The Next Options Scandal - How to pay executives under the table World News 6
Marc Bank of America: Train your replacement, or no severance pay for you World News 14
Marc The End of the Internet? Will we pay for email, video streaming, etc? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
W Does your company pay to have plastic scrap recycled? Manufacturing and Related Processes 25
K Customer survey question service - What a company should be willing to pay IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P CQT Exam: Info needed - Boss says he'll increase my pay and promotion if I pass Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
C Jobs Outsourcing and CEO Pay Raises World News 5
J Give Customers as much 'Quality' as they are willing to pay for - Good strategy? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Medical Device Accessories Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2