Do sum of results of quality objectives should met a high level goal?

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hi everybody
At revising quality objectives, I doubt come across when evaluating results.
For example, I can have:
1 production error reduction
2 Increasing Sales
3 Reduce non conformities
4 increase productivity
5 Save raw material

Let´s suppose, I set goals for each objective
and at he end for the time, I evaluate them and I can met goals in all of them.
But I feel That when the goal was set, I just had in mind to improve results, save money reduce errors in production, to
sell more, etc. but...

Don´t you think that the sum of benefits should met a top level purpose?
Let´s say something like this: High level, at the end of the year to have a 30 % of profits in the company ?

I mean no to measure objectives individually but that the results of the sum of them should met the high level objective or purpose?

Please share your ideas.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
I mean no to measure objectives individually but that the results of the sum of them should met the high level objective or purpose?
It's so simple very few people understand it and more refuse to understand and accept it and here it is.....High level objective/purpose = more $ (profit). In business everything else other than those things that can increase profit is ....
Bull.jpg

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
*I see it's very good to transfer Q objectives also to cost saving / profit issues , the objectives , goals /Quantitative measurable targets should be settled with the sharing of relevant production owners & top levels , ---,they are the 1st beneficiaries;

* The Q objectives , the process performance, including NCs & effectiveness assessment are inputs of management system review meetings ; the top management with executive board management should be represented also in M. sys. review.

*The cost of poor Quality is part of IATF 16949 & you can adopt it as part of NCs. Measures .

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
In business everything else other than those things that can increase profit is ....
Cheating on the engine emissions control software gave VW some profit…until it didn’t.

The idea that maximization of monetary profit as the only objective of a commercial enterprise is so archaic that I am surprised people still defend it (or attempt to).

qualprod

*I see it's very good to transfer Q objectives also to cost saving / profit issues , the objectives , goals /Quantitative measurable targets should be settled with the sharing of relevant production owners & top levels , ---,they are the 1st beneficiaries;

* The Q objectives , the process performance, including NCs & effectiveness assessment are inputs of management system review meetings ; the top management with executive board management should be represented also in M. sys. review.

*The cost of poor Quality is part of IATF 16949 & you can adopt it as part of NCs. Measures .
Yes, and fo course to define objectives is not an easy task.
Because is neeed to make a lot of analysis.
For example:
Goal Profit= 30% of sales.
Ok for that, now the current cost of quality is going to be reduced by 10%, that contributes to the 30%
-Increasing productivity, allow to produce more, thus increasing global profit (30%) .
-Saving in raw material, increase profit in production, thus contributing to the 30%.
And so on.
And of course to define them, is needed to define action plans, with responsibles and due dates.
I have seen several systems wich define objectives alone, not "closing the circle" or individually.
I mean "closing the circle" that the sum of total benefit, will met the global Profit.

I hope is well explained.

Thanks

qualprod

I agree with you, the idea is to reduce costs, by improving machine performance, getting low raw material prices, more
focus on productivity by the operators but without sacrificing Quality.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I agree with all that increasing sales/profit is not a quality goal because sales and profit can be affected by so many things. We can come up with many examples.

But top management loves to talk in terms of money. So there are a number of calculators in the attachments, specifically to quality costs in the thread How to Calculate the Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ).

Watch out for poor quality when trying to reduce the amount spent on raw materials - other concerns when chasing low prices could include poor on-time delivery and unreliable availability. So you might hurt yourself in one goal while trying to achieve another one.

How productivity is defined will help determine how that is calculated. Other calculators can be found here. I didn't see my Master Scorekeeper II in the list, so I attached it here.

Lastly, you will need to keep organized. I attached a copy of my old project planner in the thread Old QMS... NEW QM.. I don't know where to start.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

Randy

Super Moderator
Cheating on the engine emissions control software gave VW some profit…until it didn’t.
Yep and their decisions to do so didn't end up increasing profit did it? You've shown me to be correct assuming you'd demonstrate my incorrectness.

If we switch our focus to reducing costs we may reduce quality.
Therefore another bad decision causing a potential decrease in profit.

The idea that maximization of monetary profit as the only objective of a commercial enterprise is so archaic that I am surprised people still defend it (or attempt to).
If you're correct, then what is the primary mission of business? Business isn't in business to wake up in the morning with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
You've shown me to be correct assuming you'd demonstrate my incorrectness.
If you're correct, then what is the primary mission of business?
The REAL primary goal of business is self-preservation; however the businesses with XXI century ethical leaders realize that their business also have a societal responsibility towards many stakeholders, what means that the financial profitability has to be balanced with the expectations for the environment, labor, ethics, safety, security, etc...An excerpt of the ISO 26000 introduction reads:

Screenshot 2022-07-31 165342.png

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Training Records - Can R?sum?s and Certificates Be Enough? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Z Using Sum Values for Category Data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
O Sum of Cpk - Updating Product Tolerances Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Jim Wynne R?sum? Typos Career and Occupation Discussions 3
A I've had a free CV (R?sum?) Review Career and Occupation Discussions 49
F Sum of Squares - How many types of Sum of Squares do we have Software Quality Assurance 15
Z Does Minitab allow standarized cusum (cumulative sum)? Using Minitab Software 2
A VSM - Should I sum up the inventory? Which C/T to choose? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
ScottK Root Sum Square and Statistical Tolerancing help needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E MSA Manual says the sum of EV,AV,GRR, and PV cannot equal 100%? Why? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Calculate FPY for Audit Results AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C I need some clearing on requirements of Asuring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Nadcap - Heat Treatment Proof of Verification question for Digital results AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G AMS 2750 F Instrument Calibration Results and Recording AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Spinal implant predicate device test results 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements- Assess and Record validity Previous measuring results ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Comparing measurement results for a part from two ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T ANOVA Results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
T IATF 16949 Recording inspection results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Raw data retention for Diagnosis Results EU Medical Device Regulations 4
lanley liao How to understand this words that the planning of internal audit shall take into consideration the results of previous audits? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
Nihls When the MSA results show no operator influence Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Q IATF audit - Root Cause Analysis results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
P Ppk results shown as asterisk after the transformation of Non-normal data Using Minitab Software 4
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Audit Finding For Not Retaining Test Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.7 Ensuring the validity of results - Threshold ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
P AS9102 Form 3 Dimension Results Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
H Graphical analysis of results - Confidence level bands nomenclature Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
A Calibration Certificate Results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Measurement Audit and ILC for ISO 17025 Clause 7.7.2 - Comparison with results of other laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
KCalaba21 ISO 9001:2015 6.2.2 E - "e) how the results will be evaluated." ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
shimonv Referring to previously submitted biocompatibility results in a new 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Marc European universities dismal at reporting results of clinical trials - 2019 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
V Recording CMM dimensional results on CFG-1003 APQP and PPAP 3
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A Supplier Audit Results - when do you prepare? General Auditing Discussions 10
U ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.7 Ensuring the Validity of Calibration Results ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M FDA News FDA Safety communication – Interim Results of Duodenoscope Reprocessing Studies Conducted in Real-World Settings Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
armani Definition Intended Results - What does "Intended Results" mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G ISO 9001:2015 - Management Review 9.3.2 c) 5) - Monitoring and Measurement Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Tensile Test Strain Rate - Impact on the Test Results Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Taguchi Experiments for Factorial Design Analysis - Reliability of Minitab Results Using Minitab Software 1