Do suppliers need a laboratory scope?

D

Dan Larsen

If you're referring to a supplier of test/calibration services, ISO 9002 isn't enough for QS. The supplier must be accredited to ISO Guide 25 (17025). 25/17025 defines the requirement for a scope. If the provider is only ISO, they may not have a scope as defined by QS, and even if they did, it would carry no weight without accreditation.

If you're referring to another type of supplier, I'm a bit confused...never had a QS auditor be concerned with the scope for a non-test/non-calibration supplier. Nonetheless, the scope of an ISO registration should appear on their registration certificate (e.g. "provider of machined parts").

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Cheryl

IS09002 lab scope

I am aware that under QS it is necessary for us to have a lab scope. But what about when our supplier is ISO9002 certified. Is it necessary for them to have a scope of accreditation under ISO? If not,then what must we do if our customer is requesting us to provide a scope of accreditation?

M

metrologyguy

I am getting a lot of calls from ISO 9000 companies asking for our accreditation documents. In the past, these requests have been primarly from QS 9000 customers. In my humble opinion, I think as companies learn about the benefits of using accredited labs, there is more demand. I also had a customer tell me that since we were A2LA, they would not have to send in there own auditor which saved money.

------------------

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Do suppliers of prototyping components need to undergo supplier qualification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I Moving into Clinical Trials and need to find GMP Suppliers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M I need Audit Checklists for nearly all Car suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
F Do Calibration Suppliers need to be included in the list of Approved Suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
B Unregistered Bulk Scrap Metal Suppliers - Do they need to be ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
I Do initial importers need a contract with suppliers - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Which supplies/suppliers need to be listed in DMR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D How do you justify that not all Suppliers need to be Audited? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
E Need an ISO 9001/14001/13485 Quality Manual - Many suppliers - Pharma and Med Devices Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
M Suppliers - Certified or compliant to ISO/QS etc. Need letter example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Purchasing: Do we need to evaluate even C class suppliers before giving them business Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
T Reaction Plan To Drive suppliers to IATF 16949 registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C Critical Suppliers for EU medical device approvals May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Who should receive the bills from suppliers and vendors, account payable or procurement? Consultants and Consulting 4
P Qualifying commercial off the shelf (COTS) external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Nicole Desouza Are Shipping Companies Suppliers? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Painted cut threads - ASME Pipe Suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G ISO 9001 8.4 applied to 7.1.3 - Suppliers of infrastructure requirements - IT and Print solutions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.3 - Justification for non-certified suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J Requirements for customer directed suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
R Supplier Controls we can place on Single-Source Suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Audit boundaries - Is a Registrar permitted to audit a company's QMS by visiting their suppliers? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 26
R ISO 9001 versus ISO 13485 for Suppliers to Medical Device Companies ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Critical suppliers (Definition of) and MDSAP (Medical Device Single Audit Program) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
P IATF 16949 - Monitoring Suppliers for Premium Freight IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
DuncanGibbons Documentation aerospace OEMs require with purchase of parts from manufacturers/suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K Supplier Controls for Animal Tissue Suppliers for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
optomist1 Survey of Tier 1 & Tier 2 suppliers APQP and PPAP 6
P Non-Active Suppliers on CE Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Suppliers re-classification from Critical to Significant or from Significant to Non-critical Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
D Training for AS13000 - Problem Solving Requirements for Suppliers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
eule del ayre List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers APQP and PPAP 20
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
S Outsourcing manufacturing - Who controls the suppliers of parts to the CMO? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Ed Panek Supplier Auditing - No purchases from our key suppliers in the last 24 months ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I IATF 16949 - 8.4.2.3 - Applicability to Shipping Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
A MedAccred being flowed down to Suppliers (2018) MedAccred Industry Group Program 0
T What's the quality standard adopted by BMW for its suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
O ISO 13485 for software company - Selecting suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Are Medical device Raw material suppliers required to be ISO 13485 certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Q ISO 9001 - 9.3.2 c) 7 is answer for 8.4.1? Performance of external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J How to verify the actual capacity of suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
D VDA 6.4 Audit checklist - Production tool suppliers VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
T How to plan the monitoring of suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Approval of raw material suppliers which do not manufacture the material ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 15
L Informational IATF 16949 certification requirement for Tier 2/Tier 3 Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Supplier Qualification - How do we determine which suppliers to qualify? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6