Do we need a Gage R&R on Caliper used for Product Audits?

malkovics

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I would have a question, do we need apply an R&R on caliper if I use only during the product audit and not in the series production for process validation?

Thanks you support

regards
Farelco

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Re: Do we need make an R&R on caliper?

Do you intend to meet the requirements of ISO 9001 or TS16949? If yes, do you make decisions regarding the quality of product using the results of this gage? If yes, you must perform an MSA on the gage, typically a gage R&R. From your question regarding product audit, it appears that this is used for inspection, which means you should use the %Tolerance metric to determine acceptability.

malkovics

Starting to get Involved

Thanks your fast response Miner.
Based on ISO TS I shall do MSA on measurement system which is in the PCP (process control plan).
The product audit is not part of the PCP but I agree with you that I should do GR&R if I make a decision regarding product quality used the results of measurement.
Another question: If I do measurement by calipper on 4 different points on the product then I should do GR&R for the all points one by one?

regards
Farelco

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

Another question: If I do measurement by calipper on 4 different points on the product then I should do GR&R for the all points one by one?
It depends. If the 4 points are similar you might be able to treat this as a family. Read my blog on MSA and gage families for ideas on this. Beware of combining dissimilar features (e.g., a linear dimension vs. a diameter) or different tolerance widths.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Thanks your fast response Miner.
Based on ISO TS I shall do MSA on measurement system which is in the PCP (process control plan).
The product audit is not part of the PCP but I agree with you that I should do GR&R if I make a decision regarding product quality used the results of measurement.

regards
Farelco
Product audit should include Control Plan assessment. You should start from CP.
So, if this tools or the related measure is reported in the control plan , you should perform MSA in this case.:bigwave:

malkovics

Starting to get Involved

Thanks that you share your related experience by blog. It was really fantastic and thought-provoking.

regards
Farelco

malkovics

Starting to get Involved

Hello Gusys,

I cannot agree with you. Please show me such kind of document, rule which has mentioned that product audit should be put in the PCP (according to my best knowledge, it is not in the Core tools -APQP, FMEA, SPC, MSA, PPAP).
Thanks in advance

regards
Farelco

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Hello Gusys,

I cannot agree with you. Please show me such kind of document, rule which has mentioned that product audit should be put in the PCP (according to my best knowledge, it is not in the Core tools -APQP, FMEA, SPC, MSA, PPAP).
Thanks in advance

regards
Farelco
Hi Farelco,
probably I was not so clear in my previous post.
Based upon yuour post, I only said that one of method to do the product audit is for example to start from a control plan of device/product under the scope of the audit.
In this sense, you can verify at sampling the measurements have been done according to the control plan, application of the reaction mechanism have been done according to what established in the CP and so on.
This to responde to 8.2.2.3 of the ISO TS . Clearly you shall also audit shipping , packing and so on
Said that , if in the control plan you find that you did not perform MSA on some gauges reported in it, this coud be a non conformity.
Hope to have been clearer now.
If other Covers could clarify, pls go:bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Do I need to perform Gage R&R on a Digital Temperature & Humidity Gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
K Qualifications I need to adhere to for Thread Gage Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
Z My first Gage R&R - Paper/Poly/Foil Material Bond Test, need help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
A Destructive Attribute (Crossed) Gage R&R - Need Help! Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G New gage calibrated at factory do I need the certificate? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
C Need source for temperature and humidity gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Need to find good set of Gage Blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Validating a gage/fixture in-house under TS 16949 - Need information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Do I Need To Do Gage R&R (GR&R) On Each Device Or Just Each Family Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
B Sampling in GRR - Why do we need 10 samples to do a Gage R&R? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
E Successful Gage R&R Anova or X/R? Need example Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
E Digital Height Gauge Gage R&R - Need Advise and Help Quick Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Q Gage Supplier - Need a 72" (min) Digital Read Out LLM for the Shop Floor General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Z Determining how many measurement devices need gage R&R? MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C I need to understand gage R&R - University Instruments Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Ron Rompen Need help with MSA/Gage R&R - Seeking Minitab template file/sample GR&R study Using Minitab Software 7
B Gage R&R - Need template Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Need help with Gage R&R method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Need Assistance Interpreting Gage R&R Data - Stylus profilometer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Need help purchasing a Digital Borematic gage (Mitutoyo was suggested) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C Need 3 appraisers for GR&R (Gage R&R) of Automatic Test Measurements? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Need Help with Gage R&R Spreadsheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Statistical Process Control and the need for Measurement System Analysis (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B Need to know how to calibrate inch and metric gage blocks correctly. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Gage Correlation - I need more information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
G Need resources / tutorials about OPS (Operation) for ISO IT (Information Technology) Service Management 8
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Do we need to QA cert? We only plan to supply reagents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3