SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001?

Hello,
I'm new to both the Cove and the quality management field so I am hoping to get some input from the experts here.

I'm trying to get ISO 9001 for my company and one of the many advices I have gotten from talking to other quality managers from different ISO accredited companies is that we need to have proper procedures (I assume that requirement comes from Section 8.5 of ISO 9001:2015).

Currently my company has a "quality control manual" that outlines the responsibilities of each department and we have work instructions that provides the general steps for each incoming product to be made. We don't really have a formal "SOP Document" but do we need to make them for each department to satisfy ISO's requirements?

We don't have anything that would instruct the employees how to do their job per say, most of the people here have been working in their dept for 10+ years so they primarily know what to do via experience. The work instructions provides basic steps, like the sequence of steps but nothing too detailed.

Pardon my lack of understanding, I know my current level of understanding is very basic so I appreciate any insight and feedback.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
You need to set up processes at your organization that meet the requirements of ISO 9001. Some of these processes must be documented to comply with ISO 9001. The amount (quantity, detail) of procedures you need depends on many factors including the size and type of your organization. Since you are just starting to scratch the surface, you probably will need a consultant to help you implement your quality system. Where are you located? I might be able to help you.

You need to set up processes at your organization that meet the requirements of ISO 9001. Some of these processes must be documented to comply with ISO 9001. The amount (quantity, detail) of procedures you need depends on many factors including the size and type of your organization. Since you are just starting to scratch the surface, you probably will need a consultant to help you implement your quality system. Where are you located? I might be able to help you.
Thank you for the offer, my company is a medium sized company (approx 65 employees) in the Los Angeles area. While I wish I could hire a consultant, my top management is not giving me a budget for one unfortunately.

indubioush

I thought you might be in California. Maybe because of the "Westside." I'm in the SF Bay Area. I can still be a free resource to you. I will PM you.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Hi Teddy,

Need to have written procedures according to ISO 9001:2015?

NO!

ISO 9001:2015 did away with the term procedure and didn't replace it with anything.

What is required is that you be able to show that you understand the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 and be able to explain how you meet them. Written procedures may help with that, but it is up to you, the organization to determine if you want them and if so to create them.

Over documentation was a pitfall of earlier times in ISO 9001 history. Do all you can to keep from falling into that pit yourself.

indubioush

To clarify, ISO 9001 does require "documented information." This is typically in the form of procedures and records. However, fully agree that any documentation needs to be value added for the organization. It is possible to comply with ISO 9001 with only policy documents and forms (that become records).

Big Jim

Super Moderator
To clarify, ISO 9001 does require "documented information." This is typically in the form of procedures and records. However, fully agree that any documentation needs to be value added for the organization. It is possible to comply with ISO 9001 with only policy documents and forms (that become records).
You need to have another look at the standard. More than one. First of all read the appendix about what documented information is where it explains that documented information can be retained documented information and retained documented information. Maintained is documents. Retained is records.

The standared doew say that you need to retain and maintain the documented information required by the standard as well as any retained or maintained documented that the organization chooses to.

No where in the standard is there a requirement to maintain documented information for any procedures unless the organization chooses to do so.

Common practice may include having a quality manual (and I recommend one) and that you have some written procedures, but the standard does not require it! Be careful how much you decide to document or you will be overcome with overdocumentation as happened in the past.

Don't mislead the newbe.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I'm trying to get ISO 9001 for my company and one of the many advices I have gotten from talking to other quality managers from different ISO accredited companies is that we need to have proper procedures (I assume that requirement comes from Section 8.5 of ISO 9001:2015).

Currently my company has a "quality control manual" that outlines the responsibilities of each department and we have work instructions that provides the general steps for each incoming product to be made. We don't really have a formal "SOP Document" but do we need to make them for each department to satisfy ISO's requirements?
Documentation of processes/procedures does relate to 8.5, but also to 7.5.1b ("documented information determined by the organization as being necessary for the effectiveness of the quality management system"). I look at 7.5.1b as taking a 'risk-based' approach to documentation. If your product or service is fairly simple to produce, your staff has low turnover, etc., your documentation needs may be minimal for those processes. But where complexity comes into play, or there is too much to expect staff to reliably remember, etc., then more detailed process documentation, job aids, flowcharts, whatever, could be appropriate. You may also have customer or regulatory requirements for documentation in some areas.

At this early point, it would help to do a gap analysis. This would be where you list the clauses in one column; e.g.,
etc.

In the next column, write down how you currently address the requirements in that clause. This will give you a good perspective on where you need to address shortcomings, and spend your efforts.

I'd also say that's very useful to wrap your head around the PDCA concept of improvement. The structure of the standard describes this kind of big feedback loop, which is intended to promote continuous/continual improvement. It is shown in 0.3.2, but more typically I've seen it with PLAN as clauses 4-6, 7 straddles PLAN/DO, 8 as DO, 9 as CHECK, and 10 as ACT. Once you understand that PDCA structure, it will hopefully become more clear why the standard is organized as it is.

indubioush

I agree with you, Big Jim. Procedures are not required; however, most companies decide that some procedures are necessary to support their quality system processes. A procedure can be a one-page flow chart. A procedure can be an appendix to a form that explains how to fill it out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Do we need a Labelling SOP for ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W ISO 10005 Guidelines for Quality Plans - Do we need an SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E CSR SHIPPING - Need suggestions for making SOP/WI for our shipping dept (automotive)... Customer and Company Specific Requirements 11
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 15
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
F Need Quality Manager advice. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
B Do CTQs need to be equipment specific? FMEA and Control Plans 8
K Contract Manufacturer Do they need a complaint procedure? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 8
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D Do employee training records need to be centralized? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
H Need of EU Representative Designation for Turkey? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H If we use agile - do we still need to document TF as a waterfall just for the notified bodies need? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
briteme4 AS9102 First Article Inspection - do I need a second reviewer and signer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Furnace repaired - Do I need a new initial TUS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Need ISO 15189:2012 Documentation toolkit. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
J Need a contract monitoring Tool General Information Resources 0
P UDI-PI requirements on reusable surgical device, do we need serialisation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
W 17025 and NIST handbook relationship (need advice) ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
K Need procedure for D&D inputs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Need help on "Country of Origin" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Immediate need for 80601-2-56 Consulting expert. PM me for details Career and Occupation Discussions 0
Tagin You're Gonna Need a Bigger Root Cause Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
M PSA Suppliers - CSR matrix and need the quality manual of PSA APQP and PPAP 6
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
K Interesting Discussion "World Class Product" based QM. I need advice. Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
I Do I need to sign off my annual audit calendar? Internal Auditing 2
P Do we need to retrospectively use the "MD" symbol (indicating device is a medical device) on labels, e.g. finished devices within expiration date? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Do I need separation in my circuit with a medical charger? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D Low risk IVD study in the UK, do I need MHRA approval? UK Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Do Software Subcontractors need to be ISO13485 compliant in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Do I need a "State of the art" plan? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Need advice for schooling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R What information do i need to get from the device manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Need guidance on project ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Need MSA 4th ed. compliant attribute MSA template General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Need Change Control Yes/No Decision Tree Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Does an accessory need an IFU if it use is discussed in the Parent device IFU? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B Countries with no need for FSC (Free sales certificate) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0