Do we need Job Descriptions for Internal Auditors

D

dbzman

Job Descriptions for Auditors

Hello Everyone!

Do we need to have job descriptions for Internal Auditors?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

:biglaugh:

D

David Hartman

Though Job Descriptions are NOT a requirement of ISO 9001, defining the competencies necessary for personnel performing work affecting quality is. So in response to your question: If your company has chosen to define the personnel competencies via Job Descriptions (many companies do) then yes, I believe that you should have a Job Description for Internal Auditors as well.

N

noboxwine

dbz: it is not a requirement of the standard and i see it as more busy work with little or no value. but, if you see the value and can easily manage it, then go for it. up to my friend. good luck and let us know whatcha come up with !:)

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Going beyond a job description

Our company does not have "job descriptions" per se as management feels this will handcuff people into set tasks. Basically, their take is that people will refuse to do jobs as it isn't on their job description. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that philosophy, but it is one that I've had to work with as I am in no position to change management's mind on this topic.

HOWEVER...when it comes to the Internal Auditor pool, I knew that I needed some way to prove their competency. So, I developed the Internal Auditor Assessment form. Several areas that I felt were key to being a good auditor, along with room for feedback from the QA Department if a member of QA was not doing the assessment. I developed a whole process for conducting the assessment including items like who can do the assessment, frequency, etc. It's not a perfect system, but it's a start.

D

David Hartman

RcB stated,

Our company does not have "job descriptions" per se as management feels this will handcuff people into set tasks. Basically, their take is that people will refuse to do jobs as it isn't on their job description.

Just an FYI: A former employer handled this by ensuring that a statement to the along the lines of "additionally, the employee is responsible for all tasks assigned, whether above or below their paygrade" was added to every Job Description.

This seemed to close THAT loop-hole.:biglaugh:

C

C Emmons

We did much the same thing.

....and any additional tasks, assignments, as prescribed by management or supervisor.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I agree that job descriptions are optional, but establishing competency is not. I see no reason to separate the auditors from others -- how do you establish competency for other employees? Maybe it is training and certification internally by the Manager/Supervisor, maybe it is thru external training, education, experience, or a combination. Do the same for auditors. JMO.

Randy

Super Moderator
They may not be "required", but read the following and you make the determination about job descriptions for IA's.

ISO 9001:2000
5.5.1 Responsibility and authority
Top management shall ensure that responsibilities and authorities are defined and communicated within the
organization.

ISO 9004:2000
5.5.1 Responsibility and authority
Top management should define and then communicate the responsibility and authority in order to implement and
maintain an effective and efficient quality management system.
People throughout the organization should be given responsibilities and authority to enable them to contribute to the
achievement of the quality objectives and to establish their involvement, motivation and commitment.

Why should IA's be treated any different than anyone else?

C

Cathy

Hi,

Where IA's are concerned, we do not make it part of a job description. All potential IA's are identified and asked if they would volunteer for this function. They are then put thought a training course and perform a mock audit. If they pass, they then sign up to the IA schedule and carryout Internal Audits - for about 3 per year.

I change the auditors every 3 years. The reason for this is that it brings in new blood to the function. We also use it as a way for employees to get more involved in the company and get a handle on what is happening in other departments.

Anyone in the company is a potential internal auditor, from the operators to Managers . however, we do take on Directors as IA's because, an audit would feel more like an appraisal of your ability to do your job.

This complies with the requirements of the standard as training records are held and reviewed each year. Training objectives may or may not be set, depending on the competence of the individual.

There are no financial rewards for volunteering as an auditor, and you can say know if you wish, but we find the majority of employees asked are willing. And there is always a night out at the end of year for the auditors.

That sounds pretty well thought through, Cathy :agree:
Just one question: Do you take directors on as IA's, or was that a typo?

And hey: Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

/Claes

Top Bottom