Do we need to get Time Management Training?

S

selena15

Hi all
Which credit would you give to the time management training ?
lastely i've notified that all of us are overloaded within our org°. by our main duties for what we had been hired, with some additional tasks wich is relating to our org in general and which applicable to all of us as org staff and by part of requirements implemented by our HQ for some high level consideration, but which have no adding value to us , according opinions from some of us.
the result is we are overloaded, with 2 or more project with short deadline and same high priority!
my request is despite the fact that we think that some of our duties are adding value or usefull or no, it remain task which has to be achieved. the question is do we need to get time management training? do you think that it can help us to be more comfort at work. i had have one similar training as this and honestly i think that i can work in one monitored context not in normal org° with its part of overloading, human being, knowledge manget....etc
what is your 2 cents on that ? :)
sel
nice start of week

Re: Time Management

I have kept coming back to Mind Tools for many years. (I am in no way associated with the site, but it is a good resource). Time management is but one of the topics there.

As for actually trying to enhance my time management: Yes I keep trying, and I have improved over the years. I can have quite a good grip for a while, but have learned to accept that you cannot prevent things from messing up your schedule every now and then... Life happens. Summary: Yes. Time Management training is a very good and probably time saving idea.

I suggest a look at the old threads Seeking Tips: Office Improvement - Best Practices. & Time Management - Ideas, helpful hints? We did touch this subject when we discussed Office kaizen long ago.

/Claes

harry

Trusted Information Resource
5S for the most basic unit of an organization (self)? Seriously, the underlying principles are similar (form a good working habit).

A

Al Dyer

I prefer project management training as it will encompass time management and constraint.

Also if we are too good at time management the boss will make sure we have more to manage and if we aren't we get a bad review;)

Al...

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I guess my focus falls more on management's requirement to manage its own time and that of staff by planning activities and allowing sufficient time to accomplish those activities. Management must then evaluate (continually) whether those time estimates are met.

If yes, fine. If not, then management needs to make honest determination whether the time estimates were achievable. If not achievable, the time estimates for each activity need to be reconfigured.

If the time estimates are achievable, then and only then does management need to consider additional education and training for staff to recognize and avoid distractions and focus on the assigned task. If staff recognizes distractions, a process needs to be available to bring distractions to attention of management for help in reducing or eliminating those distractions.

As usual, I feel this is a typical situation where the management stops planning after it decides the tasks it wants accomplished. Management has the responsibility (especially following ISO 9xxx) to provide a workable environment for the staff to accomplish the work as efficiently as possible, removing those barriers to efficiency, as well as ensuring they don't pile on more work than can humanly be accomplished in the allotted time.

If, after a solid evaluation of work flow, management determines staff and the work will benefit from additional education/training on time management (really a matter of arranging priorities and reducing or eliminating distractions), then it can either send staff out or bring experts in to provide that education and training.

Last edited:
S

selena15

Hi all
sorry for the delay but indeed I'm overloaded hahah
thanks for this interesting comment.
i like your highlight Wes about to check first if the time estimates is achievable. because many managers think that their employees are superman believe me and one comment inside the somashekar's document is highlight that. " 6.Ineffective delegation. ...The general rule is -this; if one of your staff can do it 80% as well as you can, then delegate it... " are misunderstand-ed, shall i say, by the manager. because sometimes, they overloaded one because he's good worker while the let others in rest as discussed in other thread. but this is off topic here.

relating to also the same document i have the following question:
3.Lack of priorities/objectives.: what about the subordinate employees? do you think that they have a full control on their priority tasks.
9. The inability to say "no!". -- i would say , it depend if the company accept "no"
as Wes has said, it all coming back to the Big manager

to come back to my first thought, what about if the whole organization are really overloaded because the external requirement, Abroad HQ include increase while they are complaining that there is more employees than required. sometimes this occurred. or you get more work planned tasks to do daily than you can do actually because other similar unit do the same crrrrrrrrr.
have nice night
Sel

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
<SNIP>
9. The inability to say "no!". -- i would say , it depend if the company accept "no"
as Wes has said, it all coming back to the Big manager

to come back to my first thought, what about if the whole organization are really overloaded because the external requirement, Abroad HQ include increase while they are complaining that there is more employees than required. sometimes this occurred. or you get more work planned tasks to do daily than you can do actually because other similar unit do the same crrrrrrrrr.
have nice night
Sel
In the ISO and AS QMS Standards there is a provison for COMMUNICATION between management and staff. Communication implies two-way communication. If management isn't seeking and evaluating feedback from employee staff, they are not following either the spirit or the letter of the International QMS Standards. Management in this case definitely includes the top brass from corporate HQ, regardless of their geographic location.

Comparing one branch with another branch by HQ may be fair if, and only if, everything else is comparable - product, customer requirements, training, facilities, number of employees, pay, skill level and tenure of employees, quality of supervisors and on-site managers. (I've seen some branch operations horribly mismanaged by one single management level employee who instilled actual hatred from employees against him AND the rest of the managers for allowing the clown manager to remain in power.)

A

amanbhai

I have kept coming back to Mind Tools for many years. (I am in no way associated with the site, but it is a good resource). Time management is but one of the topics there.

As for actually trying to enhance my time management: Yes I keep trying, and I have improved over the years. I can have quite a good grip for a while, but have learned to accept that you cannot prevent things from messing up your schedule every now and then... Life happens. Summary: Yes. Time Management training is a very good and probably time saving idea.

I suggest a look at the old threads Seeking Tips: Office Improvement - Best Practices. & Time Management - Ideas, helpful hints? We did touch this subject when we discussed Office kaizen long ago.

/Claes

Though I managemen time better than the other. Actually multi tasking is one of the thing that I have to use in my daily work.
However, the time management resurce is really good.
Thanks

P

prabhatchaddha

Certainly a great topic to discuss.
But i doubt if it can be achieved with one or two sessions. This is more of a character change and to bring out a character change this will require extensive training. If some one from training and development who have conducted such kind of training can put of light on the benefits and the success of a training program.

Top Bottom